Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy Racer comradery - NOT!

Options
  • 25-05-2004 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

My car is being serviced today so i borrowed my housemates car to come to work. It's a Honda Integra and it's "done up" like a real boy-racer machine. Holy crap - it's like ****e attracting flies - i'm driving away along the road minding my own business when every single boy racer around started to drive really aggressively around me and eachother. Cutting in front of me in my lane, tailgating...i thought these guys were a kind of secret club or something where it was them against everyone else - not only does everyone hate them, they hate eachother too! End of rant.

Duke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I get that too. And I dont drive a modded pile. Twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

it happens a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Clearly a case for the introduction of james bond style machine guns on your car. The last time some boy racer pr1ck nearly killed me off my bike I went straight to the local garda station and shopped the bastard. Even if there's no proof of his dangerous driving, he should get shafted for his stupid illegal number plates and probably some other crap on his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by DukeDredd
    i thought these guys were a kind of secret club or something where it was them against everyone else

Naw, they're just all f*cking twats...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

thats a broad statement to be making, kinda of like all Bmw drivers are twats/have a small penis. All merc drivers own the road and All women are $hite drivers

• Advertisement

Duke, you must of been driving aggressively to get the attention your talking about above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by ando
    Duke, you must of been driving aggressively to get the attention your talking about above

thats a broad statement to be making

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

thats a broad statement to be making, kinda of like all Bmw drivers are twats/have a small penis. All merc drivers own the road and All women are $hite drivers

but all those statements are completely true :p

as is the statement "all boy racers are twats".

Oh and "No merc driver knows how to use their indicators"

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

as is the statement "all boy racers are twats".

Here here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by rymus

Oh and "No merc driver knows how to use their indicators"

Excuse me! :mad: Bikers never look before they jink across a lane...

Mike.

youre excused.. I always do. Hell, I even indicate sometimes! That's how crazy I am. With some of the absolute crap displays of driving thats on Irish roads nowadays, its a neccessity for bikers to look over their shoulders before doing anything. Failing to do so makes it highly likely that you're going to end up on your arse. IMO, any biker that doesn't check over their shoulder & indicate before making any kind of move is asking for trouble. The only thing that could make Irish roads more dangerous is if they had landmines built-in. There, mini-rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by mike65

Mike.
    Bikers always look. Our level of observation is above the ordinary mortal's level of comprehension. Hence they are unable to see all the nuances in our driving, how we are actually tracking and estimating the position of each of the 100 cars within our field of view (backwards and forwards).

No, seriously, it's usually mopeds that are bad for not watching and general stupidness. I've had more "near-death" misses with scumbag mopeds than I have with cars.

The bit about tracking the position of every car we see is true though :)

Your right - I was joking as it is the fecking moped boyos
    that cause heart-attacks, saw a textbook example a few days ago. As for Jap import boy racers words fail me.

Mike.

Originally posted by seamus
    The bit abotu tracking the position of every car we see is true though :)

Worryingly so. Takes a bit of getting used to. Especially when you have to do things like driving around the Kinsale road roundabout in rush hour. There's an experience in observation if ever there was one.

Ahh the scumbag moped patrol. Those priceless chappies that rather balancing their helmets on top of their heads rather than wearing them. Thankfully since I moved up from 125cc to 650cc and now to 1300cc, a quick twist of the throttle leaves them choking on exhaust fumes :D

Those priceless chappies that rather balancing their helmets on top of their heads rather than wearing them

I never got this,

they look like little f€cking martians flying on little hoovercrafts

i'm driving away along the road minding my own business when every single boy racer around started to drive really aggressively around me and eachother. Cutting in front of me in my lane, tailgating

somehow I dont think you were minding your own business, you must of been doing something to get the bad attention
    Here here!

its more like you have a grudge

In my experience the bikers are more dangerous than car modifiers, hell they fly down bus lanes, are within inches of my vehicle’s a$$ before I know, pull out without indicating, revving the f*cking bike to try intimidate. I've had one of them hitting the side of my van once because he was undertaking me and I had to go left to avoid a car turning right ( I didn’t see the biker, he just flew up and tried to undertake me). noobs

Originally posted by Gmodified
    I never got this,

they look like little f€cking martians flying on little hoovercrafts

But they're so "schwehhhhhhhh". Can you not see how hard they are?

And how else will dey bleedin have a schmowke or talk to der bleedin' burd if dey have der helmi' on?

quote:
    i'm driving away along the road minding my own business when every single boy racer around started to drive really aggressively around me and eachother. Cutting in front of me in my lane, tailgating

somehow I dont think you were minding your own business, you must of been doing something to get the bad attention //quote

not necessarily as the kind of car you drive will attract the flies,too . I remember cruising in MX6 for little while and I couldn't get rid of little bastardos. Everything with go faster stripes and neon lights was trying to race me. It was driving me nuts.

I love when they tailgating and hope that you going to accelerate so they can keep burning back of your neck with this ice blue headlights.
    You look in the mirror and what you can see?
    Two guys in Yaris driving in low gear to have revs right for blast off, keeping the car so close that you can read manufacture of the disk holder on his windscreen.

So what i did few times was:
    - keep them for a while sitting in this gear, they will not rev the car for long
    - change the gear and keep your car in power band, then accelerate like mad for few hundreds yards and slow down.

They never try tailgating action again dispute the fact that they actually wanted you to accelerate in first place
    The issue here is that you did it in time that boyz didn't want to do it.

After this exercise. Yaris team will wonder for another 5 miles what the f€ck actually happened there.This will take so much brain processing power that will cause them to continue journey at the same speed for another bit. They do not respect your car's ability to accelerate but simply do not like to be put in this position again(until next time, until they find another victim)

Maybe this puts me in boy racers category too
    but this worked for me every time. I wentt mad from time to time as could not get rid of boy racers with "heavy foot and stupid mouth " disease driving lawn movers covered in flip paint. you could not simply just enjoy the car without the boyz around

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I've had one of them hitting the side of my van once because he was undertaking me and I had to go left to avoid a car turning right ( I didn’t see the biker, he just flew up and tried to undertake me). noobs

That's your problem right there, you should always be able to stop for anything happening up ahead, you probably didn't even look when swerving around the car in front ? You would have failed your driving test.

Slaan.

• Advertisement

In my experience the bikers are more dangerous than car modifiers, hell they fly down bus lanes
    What's dangerous about that? Or is it jealousy?
    are within inches of my vehicle’s a$$ before I know
    Maybe the issue is your observation?,
    revving the f*cking bike to try intimidate
    It's very rare any biker would do this unless they were waiting to overtake a very slow vehicle, or were rounding a corner slowly behind some traffic. I rev sometimes, but it's not an intimidation thing. I have no idea why I do it.
    I've had one of them hitting the side of my van once because he was undertaking me and I had to go left to avoid a car turning right ( I didn’t see the biker, he just flew up and tried to undertake me). noobs
    While undoubtedly he shouldn't have been undertaking you, you shouldn't have moved left without looking in your wing mirror. Go figure.

I've had one of them hitting the side of my van once because

nothing against you ANDO but some company van drivers are brutal.

Speeding transit vans which will never stop when something happens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Mike.

As someone that drives a bike and know many people that do, That statemeant is wrong. Bikers always look. You just wont notice it as they are waring helmets and have their mirrors setup right so from there seating position they can see behind and as far up the lent of the bike and out from it that they can.

As for the bit about bikers seeing more and looking out for more than car drivers. this is very true. Not only are they looking out for other cars, what people are doing in the cars :IE on the mobile, fixking them selfs up, not looking at what is going on behind/beside them. But we are also looking at the road for white lines, rocks, graval, pot holes, oil, deasl, objects on the the road that could cause you to skid when braking, that sort of thing.

I have a firm beleaf that every car driver should be made drive a bike for one month before getting their hands on a car. It would show them just how dangrus other people can drive and scare them into driving safely.

The best drivers I've ever knowen have all been ex bikers...

Originally posted by sutty
    I have a firm beleaf that ever car driver should be made drive a bike for one month before getting their hands on a car. It would show them just how dangrus other people can drive and scare them into driving safely.

I agree with this as a van driver! I have no rear view except door mirrors and no three-quarter view of course so I am very aware of whats happening around me. I'm sure my car-driving improved very quickly once I became a White Van Man (dispite the reputation of same)

Mike.

Originally posted by sutty
    You just wont notice it as they are waring hemlits
    My hemlit is pink with rose sequins. How about you? :p

It's very rare any biker would do this unless they were waiting to overtake a very slow vehicle, or were rounding a corner slowly behind some traffic. I rev sometimes, but it's not an intimidation thing. I have no idea why I do it.

I do it too. When your driving slow (between traffic that is stoped or taking a round about) your meant to cluch in a to just at the bite and use the revs to keep power going to the wheels. Its meant to be smoother and I think safer... so you dont slip on the trottle and jet off into the back of someone or under rev and stall the bike on a turn.

correct me if I'm wrong...

I became a White Van Man (dispite the reputation of same)

Mike.

I find them to be some of the niceist tbh... Often I've had them lean accross and take in their mirror to let me go up, of move just a bit out of the way.

My hemlit is pink with rose sequins. How about you? :p

yes yes, I spelled it wrong.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

As for Jap import boy racers words fail me.

Mike.

you see this type of thing bothers me... i drive a jap import turbo, and i drive very safely and did that ignition thing im 26 years of age and pay next to nothing on insurance cos i have abour 8 or 9 years of claim free driving, i consider myself very courtious to other road users, and anytime i see a biker in my mirror i always (when safe to do so, for me and the rider) move a little to the left to allow him/her pass, and i always get a little wave off the left hand from the driver in appreciation. I also dont think i have ever done anything on the road to warrent the title of a "Boy racer" BUT however i drive a jap car with a turbo (cos i like a car with a bit of poke) and because it has a turbo there is a vent on the bonnet for the intercooler, it is nessary to have the vent or else the turbo would pump hot air into the engine and destroy it.... but cos i have a vent i have people all the time jumping to the conclusion that im a boy racer... even to the extent of people looking in at me if im parked somewhere and shaking their heads, as if to say "look at yer man, thinks hes really cool" the car is a sporty looking car but it is the was it left the factory, and one of the reasons i bought it, cos it dosent need tacky mods to make it look good, i just wish people would judge people ONLY when they know them personally and if you dont know them personally then PHHUCK off and mind yer own business, what if i was to start calling you a scumbag just cos you happen to have a pair of nike on and a pringle jumper? you could well be a very nice person, but if everyone starts saying "people who wear a pringle jumper and a pair of nike is a scumbag" what chance have you got? its a form of deformation of character...

facts...
    There are bad motor car drivers
    There are bad motorcyclists
    There are bad Truck drivers
    There are bad Train Drivers
    There are bad pilots
    There are bad people, but dont judge everyone the same....

thanks for readin

• Advertisement

I agree there Macker with jap import statement. I did, do and probably will drive jap imports again in some stage of my life and this does not make me boy racer straight away.

However, you have to agree that high powered machines do attract boy racers which is natural thing and considering the fact that in this country jap imports are widely accessible, there is high possibility that you are going to meet more then one car equipped not only in nice mods but also maybe spanner head in the driving seat.

So , you have to allow MIke as he is just jealous and will never drive over limit.:D

Advertisement