Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ipod wont power up

Options
  • 25-05-2004 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

i got an ipod a few moths back, it was part of a trade of i done for some hardware ,
    from what i know the ipod was for mac only. its a 4gb gen2 so i changed the frimware to pc ,now when i plug it in with a firewire into my pc everything is fine all the software shows up and the pc knows its an ipod and my itunes autosyncs my music , it shows that it charging ,but when its unpluged it wont power up for me ,nothing at all now ive used firewire thats on my mobo and firewire that was on a pci card and the one on my auditgy 2 card but nothing happens. ive but it up for sale as is but would like to sort it out before selling so any ideas would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds like the battery's shagged. Apple will replace it for about 100 quid I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

I think this is just a firmware issue again.

Have a look at an Apple iMac support doc here

Also found this on the Neil Gaiman website:
    he problem with putting the new iTunes 4.5 on the house computers is that it then decides you need to update the software in your iPod. So I did. Of the three iPods in the house, Lorraine's 20 Gig updated just fine (once I stopped trying to do it on her iMac and plugged the iPod into a Windows box), Maddy's elderly 5 gig updated fine but lost all its files on the way, and my 40 gig...

ah.

Well, it was interesting. I learned lots of things. For example, after starting the install, the computer decided, midway, it "couldn't mount iPod". Then I got a little Apple symbol on the iPod screen, and nothing else. Rebooting the iPod didn't do anything except bring the little Apple back. A certain amount of work and research online (well, eventually googling "iPod hack troubleshooting" actually found the information), and I discovered that by pressing the forward and back buttons at the same time I could put the iPod into "disk mode" and attach it to the computer, and while iTunes immediately told me it wasn't a proper iPod and I should "restore" and delete everything, Xplay and Ephpod had no trouble seeing it, and showing me that everything on it was still there. So I copied the things Nick Powell put on my iPod while I was in the UK for "Wolves in the Walls" onto the desktop with Xplay, ran a few of the Ephpod utilities, deleted a song it said was hopelessly corrupted, and tried reinstalling the iPod updated software again. This time it worked, successfully, once I manuevered my way past the Scylla and Charybdis of the computer screen telling me not to unplug my iPod, and the iPod telling me it needs to be unplugged (the iPod was right). So I'd now updated the software...

Except I still only had a little apple on the iPod screen, and nothing else.

I was now out of clever things to do, so I didn't do anything, and a few minutes after that the iPod battery ran down, and when I plugged it into the wall to recharge (which seemed wiser than plugging it into a computer to recharge), it started up just fine. With all files and settings intact, and (I discovered this morning when it went off) the alarm function, which had stopped working, now working again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Or the usual offender that is the battery could be the issue.

Advertisement