Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem calling UK freephone (0800) numbers

Options
  • 25-05-2004 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

I know this isn't really the right place, but I am in a bit of a fix. I need to fax an important document to a company in the UK today, but all I have from them are 0800 numbers for both fax and phone.

How can I call these from Ireland? 0049 800 doesn't seem to work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

+44800 , NICHT +49800 :D

If you still have a prob then PM me

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭Genghis

Did you try 0044 800 (or was that a typo?)

I also have noticed that companies such as Tesco advertise their UK 0800 freephone number in Ireland as 00 800, so possibly try that?

I'd dial it on a normal line first, not a fax line, so you can hear whats happening (connecting, not connecting, etc).

If all else fails google the number and see what comes up. You might get to their website where they offer an international version of the number. )It is more common for them to offer a standard line to international calls than to facilitate free dialling from outside the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Originally posted by Genghis

I also have noticed that companies such as Tesco advertise their UK 0800 freephone number in Ireland as 00 800, so possibly try that?

Actually I think 00800 numbers are "international freephone" numbers that work from anywhere?

Could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

That was a typo, I actually meant 0049800. All I get is a long, continuous "beep". I double checked it's not a fax number, anyway a fax number should produce only a short beep or series of beeps (I have both a fax and a phone number actually). I am thinking that perhaps Esat BT isn't allowing me to call UK freephone numbers. VarTec won't either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I have now tried Eircom, Esat BT and VarTec. Eircom give me a long beep on both the fax and phone numbers, but no connection. VarTec don't allow their customers to call overseas special rate numbers, including freephone numbers, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Are you dialling 0044 ? Your previous post said you were dialling 0049. The UK access code is 0044.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You're still ringing Germany then?

Advertisement