Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which mp3 jukebox?

Options
  • 25-05-2004 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

ok, i've a friend heading over to the states soon, gonna get a pair of jukebox's.

i've narrowed it down to either a rio karma 20gb, or a creative labs 30gb.

they are prety much the same price, but you get more space with the creative labs, although the rio karma is almost half the weight.

just looking for advice on which is better, or alternatives?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭musician.ie

I have the creative zen xtra 30Gb and am v. happy with it, with a few caveats:

It doesn't do driverless plug and play, so you need to install the software on any pc you connect it to
    A lot of people on the newsgroup have had broken headphone jacks - aparently the solder job is poor. Mine is fine after 3 months, and they've probably addressed this by now.
    The software is criticised by a lot of people. I find it fine for what I need to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

do you not think its a bit heavy?
    Originally posted by musician.ie
    I have the creative zen xtra 30Gb and am v. happy with it, with a few caveats:

It doesn't do driverless plug and play, so you need to install the software on any pc you connect it to
    A lot of people on the newsgroup have had broken headphone jacks - aparently the solder job is poor. Mine is fine after 3 months, and they've probably addressed this by now.
    The software is criticised by a lot of people. I find it fine for what I need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I honestly don't think you can beat the Jukebox Zen. I've had mine for about six months and it's probably the best gadget I've ever bought.

it comes in at around $500 in the states, more pricey than the creative or rio models.

Originally posted by fragile
    I have heard really good things about this model

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001FAP7W/qid=1085494332/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_11_2/202-3486188-3305423

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i have the iriver H 140 and it's supoib! got it about 6 weeks ago and am still drooling over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by alienhead

It weighs pretty much the same as a 40gb iPod.

I'd go for an Zen Xtra 60GB. I have an NX 30gb but it's full!

As for the software. Well Mediasource is crap. It works fine at the start, but then it crashed evertime I'd try to do a CDDB lookup and tracks failed if I ripped a cd or if I tried to transfer them to the PC. So I use Notmad Explorer now and that's perfect.

As for the jack problems. Well it seems to be affecting people in the States more so than over here, but there are guides to fixing the jack online.

I've had my Zen since November and there's been no problems with the headphone jack.

I'd recommend getting new head phones for it, the ones that come with it are in-ear and aren't that comfortable. The iPod ear phones are pretty crap too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I had a Creative Zen 20GB, and it was one of the best things I've ever bought! I used it almost every day, I sold it to buy a Zen NX Xtra 60GB, which has a bigger screen.

The software (Mediasource) is terrible, for a great alternative, I'd recommend Notmad Explorer (http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭musician.ie

In a word: no. It's got a belt clip and I'm unaware of its weight when I wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

just sifting through this forum about to ask a question about phones and saw your topic. I was researching DAP's for about 5 months before I bought one (big money for me, but something I really wanted) Compared them all, ipod,zen,karma etc etc. The iRiver IHP series is by far the best. And when the new firmware arrives (one due for May and another in June) they are going to be miles higher, than they already are, to the competition. Yes, the H is the same as the IHP.

The cheapest place to get is is Harvey Norman (the 140 I'm talking about) €459.99. It's in Swords, you take the 42 (or something like that) from eden quay, where all the busses line up on the opposite side though.

It works out cheaper to get it there than it does to get it from any UK site when you take shipping into account. However, amazon.com are the cheapest. Unfortunately they don't deliver it to Ireland. They had it for $419 with a $50 mail in rebate, worked out at about €300. You could only take advantage of that if you went to us though.

Peats are dearer than Harvey. €499 for 140.

If you don't need the 40G, which you may not, then the cheapest place for you to get the 120, as far as I know (could be different now) is amazon.co.uk.

It's also the security of knowing that if anything happens to it, you can just go back to Harvey, things will be allot more complicated if you buy from amazon.com/uk

Take it from me,
    The IHP/H 140/120/110 is the best of what's around.

The best place to buy the
    H140 = Harvey Normans, Swords/Dundalk
    H120 = Amazon.co.uk (you may want to check yourself as I haven't researched the 120 for a while)

or... you could wait for the H-300 series.

20/40 GB, USB on the Go hook up digi cam and transfer files without pc, view images with the Colour screen. All features that the H-140 has. Due out within the next month or two. Probably be around €550????? guess.

• Advertisement

i'd definitly like get this player, but there seems to be feck all saving, buying it in the states, i wonder why that is, cheapest i found was €410

the 20gb karma works out at €210, saving around €200! think thats the one to go for!

Originally posted by cormie
    just sifting through this forum about to ask a question about phones and saw your topic. I was researching DAP's for about 5 months before I bought one (big money for me, but something I really wanted) Compared them all, ipod,zen,karma etc etc. The iRiver IHP series is by far the best. And when the new firmware arrives (one due for May and another in June) they are going to be miles higher, than they already are, to the competition. Yes, the H is the same as the IHP.

The cheapest place to get is is Harvey Norman (the 140 I'm talking about) €459.99. It's in Swords, you take the 42 (or something like that) from eden quay, where all the busses line up on the opposite side though.

It works out cheaper to get it there than it does to get it from any UK site when you take shipping into account. However, amazon.com are the cheapest. Unfortunately they don't deliver it to Ireland. They had it for $419 with a $50 mail in rebate, worked out at about €300. You could only take advantage of that if you went to us though.

Peats are dearer than Harvey. €499 for 140.

If you don't need the 40G, which you may not, then the cheapest place for you to get the 120, as far as I know (could be different now) is amazon.co.uk.

It's also the security of knowing that if anything happens to it, you can just go back to Harvey, things will be allot more complicated if you buy from amazon.com/uk

Take it from me,
    The IHP/H 140/120/110 is the best of what's around.

The best place to buy the
    H140 = Harvey Normans, Swords/Dundalk
    H120 = Amazon.co.uk (you may want to check yourself as I haven't researched the 120 for a while)

or... you could wait for the H-300 series.

20/40 GB, USB on the Go hook up digi cam and transfer files without pc, view images with the Colour screen. All features that the H-140 has. Due out within the next month or two. Probably be around €550????? guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I’d still go for the Zen extra (60 GB) I got one after trying a few and I have to say it just blew me away! Things like the quality of the sound are just the tops (better than any I have found anywhere) but those little effects that the EAX, anp/cip puts in are a gimmick, kind of but they’re also fun, also you can use it as a hard drive too.
    cool!.

The initial request was for a 20g device right? He may not have 60G of MP3s so it would be a waste to get that. iRiver is the best. Trust me. It's supposidly got the best sound quality, battery, everything, oh, and a nice lcd remote control that can do every function.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Anyone had a look at the Cowon Iaudio M3? Its very slick. I think I'll get one because of its line in/out.

It looks nice, but with something like a hd player, It's a must for me to have LCD on the unit itself. You don't want to be carrying around a remote everywhere. I actually never really use my remote with my H, However for cycling I would always use it. H has line in/line out... better still, it has optical in, optical out:) H is the best guys, believe me!

Does the H have an analogue in, so I could record from my decks?

it has line in and optical. I'm not too sure about analogue or what exactly it is? but I'm sure you could get a jack connector to do it??

Any Had a go of the Philips Hdd100/120 Series. They look pretty slick and can be gotten for dirt cheap. I have read conflicting reviews of these, anyone actually have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

I've got a 60GB Creative Zen and would definately recommend it. It's about 6 months old and no problems whatsoever wtih any headphone jack. I'm a huge fan of MediaSource and am a little surprised that some people are complaning about it. If you use this application, be sure to keep it updated via www.nomadworld.com

In regards to the iRiver iHP-120, I did consider it but didn't care for the design. Also the interface seemed much more complicated to use than the Creative one.

That's my twopence worth !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

is the creative zen one of the only 60gb player?
    im looking at the 60GB market and cant find much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I think it is, I was looking for a long time for more but gave up and got it in the end.

60gb would be nice. 40 is fine for now though. I don't know why Alienhead went for that one. for less than twice the price he could have got 10 times the storage in the IHP-140.

Advertisement