Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting and Domains

Options
  • 25-05-2004 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Im fairly new to all this hosting business. I wanna buy a domain, lets say, www.draupnir.com.

I then wanna get hosting for it. If I get hosting at hosting365 and buy www.draupnir.com

can i then add www.draupnir.com/news etc. for free?

Just wondering how it works with this kinda thing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

What you buy is the top level domain name (draupnir.com). This is added as a 'VirtualHost' to a web server (by the hosting company) and a DNS entry (normally on your domain name providers name server) points HTTP requests to this server. www.draupnir.com would normally be an 'Alias' for the draupnir.com vhost (or vice versa).

Any thing after the trailing / is a reference to a file location relative to a configured 'DocumentRoot' (draupnir.com/news).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

What you probably mean is can you add subdomains for free

e.g http://www.subdomain.draupnir.com

Most hosts let you add unlimted sub-domains with most hosting plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

yeah thats the one sposs, cheers, im having a bit of a blonde day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Some charge per extra subdomain so check first.

Advertisement