Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edgar Davids

• 25-05-2004 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

DAVIDS HAS PREMIERSHIP OFFER
    Edgar Davids has rejected the chance to stay with Barcelona after receiving 'a great offer' from an unnamed English club.
    The Dutch international midfielder joined Barca during the January transfer window last term from Juventus and proved a revelation at Camp Nou.

He was instrumental in the Catalan outfit's renaissance in the second half of the season which ultimately saw them claim second spot in La Primera.

It was widely expected that the 31-year-old former Ajax and Milan star would choose to extend his stay with Barca, but agent Robert Geerling confirmed negotiations between the two sides had broken down.

"There is no agreement with Barcelona," Geerling stated.

"The offer did not interest him and no other meeting is planned."

Davids is reported to be chasing a four-year contract, while Barca were only prepared to offer him a two-year deal - leaving the door open for other suitors.

Internazionale were rumoured to be keen on the feisty midfielder, but it now appears England could be his next destination.

"We have a great offer from England," Geerling added, although he refused to expand on the identity of the club involved.

Unsurprisingly, the Spanish press are suggesting Chelsea could well be the club in question, although with the player available on a free transfer he would be an attractive proposition to a number of sides.
    The unnamed club is Man Utd - they are agreeing to all the agent's terms. The cheeky fecker even asked for almost twice as much money as Barcelona were offering. Davids is seriously considering the Barcelona offer, it's for two seasons with an option on a third and fourth season. His agent wants him to take the Man Utd offer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I heard united were in for him as backup/replacement for keane. He has done really well for Barcelona this season, has some serious expierence under his belt.

Id say Ferguson is loving this Chelsea rumour mill, covers up almost all of his transactions....Would love to see this happening, very good short term solution.. If it does happen nickk butt will almost defenitly have to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Although I do rate Davids very highly, he is 31 years of age, and he can hardly expect anything longer than a 2 year contract from any club, especially if he is expecting very high wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Keane/Davids alternating every match :)
    Not a bad thing :)

Especially if its on a free!

While Davids is 31 he isn't like Keane being 31, he seems to be coping with getting older very well

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Any links on this? What evidence have you that its United who are in for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

The info comes from the same source that I always get the Spanish transfer news from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I for one would love to see him in a United jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Last year I would have said no thanks but he hit form with Barca and looks back to his best. Signing Smith and Davids would suggest that Fergie has noticed some aggression missing, we certainly won't be winning the fair play award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well anything could happen I suppose, would love to see him in the premiership, no matter whi it is that he is signing for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Dont be suprised if he joins Bolton ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

would be a great buy short-term. even just as experience for the youngsters. with keane always out for games here and there, davids would give em the kick up the arse they need.

i wouldnt like paying huge wages though, it means players get all the wealth rather than clubs so really the money doesnt stay in football which is a shame. 'boro and derby are key examples, signing bargains and then paying ridiculous wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I'm not to sure about davids going to United. when he is good he is brilliant and when he is bad he can be rubbish. but he has had a good season for Barca and if united get him for free then it wouldnt be the worst buy in the world.
    It wouldnt look to good for Butt who i think would leave the club anyway in the summer. But it wouldnt look to good for Liam Miller. with Keane, Scholes, P.Neville, and maybe Davids it will be hard for him to get a game but he has time on his side.

But it would be great if we got Smith and Davids for low-cut prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

as with every topic i turn a spurs twist on it (sorry)!!

back in january we were very close to signing him until the end of the season but it didn't work out. this is what pleat said

now with the arnensen on board, i think he would be more attracted. also he was said to be a spurs fan

the spurs messageboards are full of people saying it could be about spurs but i am not convinced.

we can live in hope!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Doubt it.

He will go to whatever club pay him what he is looking for.
    If he does goto Manu, then his high wages combined by his Age means he will be a type of Pre-Madonna.Think about it. If a club is to buckle and give him exactly what he wants then he knows he is doing them a favour and will work it whatever way he can.

Tbh, it wouldn't surprise me if it was Liverpool or a similar club who require a high calibre player to Bolster their "Attempts",
    Hope not though, would prefer a club who could afford to loose out on his wages. He's a great player, but great in the Anna Kournikova is to Tennis way.

My two cents anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i've seen a lot of him for barca this year, didnt rate him too highly.

he lost a lot a unnecessary ball in the middle of the park!

if he leaves barca after the end of season they've had, then he's an eejit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Davids turned Barcelona's season around. He brought what was lacking to the midfield, pure grit and determination.
    He didn't lose the ball all that much and he won a lot of the ball. He had a great half season with them. I hope Barcelona get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Liam Miller will probably more than likely play on the right next season I'd imagine so wouldn't think this will be bad for him if its true

this is london (evening standard) are running an article saying its spurs. there have their ear to the ground regarding spurs most of the time

http://www.thisislondon.com/sport/football/articles/10969962

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I would like to see him at United. Despite what someone said he turned Barcas season around. They were mid table, going nowhere when he arrived and they ended up in second place. That was not down to Ronaldinho and all his flicks. Davids came in and toughened up midfield and put more energy into the team.

Despite being the same age as Keane he can still bomb arounf the pitch at 100 mph. No doubt the rumours about Keane would start again but if they do secure Davids it may be time to ask Roy if he wants to stay or move. United have to move on some time and if they have a real replacement for him like Davids then the time might be right.

IMO he would probably stay one more season to have one last crack at the Champions League.

OT as Nightstrike said Miller will be on the right next season and will make that spot his own. All thats needed now is Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To have a proper replacement for Keane you need somebody with another 8 years in him :)
    Davids is't Keano's replacement, he is his counterparty.

All under the assumption that he is actually going to Utd :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Thats the idea with Miller but you cant expect him to lead the team in his first season at the club and have the squad respect him as their leader.

What happens next season is more important than what happens in eight years and who will lead the team next season. Davids could be the man. IMO Davids could be the leader for two or three seasons until Miller matures and takes over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

I got asked this morning if I knew anything about this ... :eek:

DAVIDS CLOSING IN ON MAN UNITED MOVE? (Aertel p226)
    Dutch international Edgar Davids could be on his way to the Barclaycard Premiership, with Manchester United the most likely destination.

Barcelona have called a press conference to discuss Davids' status and sporting director Aitor Begiristain is expected to say the midfielder has turned down a two-year extension.

Begiristain met with the player and his agent Robert Geerling this morning.

Geerling is reported by the Spanish national newspaper El Mundo to have said that a club from England, believed to be Manchester United, had made a 'huge offer.'
    So I have to ask who passed the story on to RTE? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Dutch international Edgar Davids could be on his way to the Barclaycard Premiership, with Manchester United the most likely destination.

Well, that's all the proof I need then - that's quite a story* they got themselves there. :rolleyes:

Someone from Aertel should stop typing up gossip that's been posted on Boards.

*otherwise known as speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I read this somewhere last week that Davids was a target for united, it was just speculation and obviously still is.....read it there(where ever it was) before i read the one english club being interested....wouldnt suprise me greatly if another english club made a move for him aswell....if he is considering england. I think all the italian teams were reported to have pulled out of the deal.

Anyway, Davids for united....he neednt bring those shades he wears, it aint sunny enough ;)

edit:
    football365 are saying spurs is the club tho!
    http://www.football365.com/news/premiership_news/story_111280.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I'm not to sure about miller on the right. Ronaldo has done really well in recent weeks but we will have to wait and see what Fergie has in mind for him.
    Also i cant belive Davids would leave Braca for Spurs. no disrespect but Braca are in the Champions League and Spurs just beat Relagation. Its amasing what players will do for money.

i have said all along that spurs are the team with the huge offer.

1. We have the finance - the 15th richest club in the world and the 2nd richest man in english football backing us. and its not dirty money.

2. He supports spurs - hoddle was his favourite player although he is gone now.

3. he almost signed for us in january,

4. arnesen is friends with him, and arnesen is one of the most respected people in the whole of europe.

as much as other fans want spurs to not be known as a big team, its a fact that spurs is a very attractive proposition for people. 'a sleeping giant' described by many and a club getting a complete clearout with serious ambition.

i may be made eat my words but spurs are going places and champions league in the next 3 years.

Just a side note. looks like barca are going to offer what he wants but hopefully he will still come!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

ah come now sikes, Spurs haven't challenged in what 20 or more years. true they do have financial clout (that 11m for rebrov) but they've never seemed to create a decent team.

yeah its been a good 20 years but its time to change it. i really think we have the ambition match that with the money and the experience that levy has brought in with arensen and a good manager and we are sorted.

lots of ifs and buts. it will be a long process til we get to the top but i think we wil eventually make it.

looks like davids mightn't come but you never know!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

sikes - I guess the Reid deal is off since Pleat is gone?

BTW, I can see Spurs signing at least one of the 4 Dutch players released by Barca.

• Advertisement

yeah i agree with you about the dutch players. think what happened at arsenal should and might happen with us. if we can get a good core of dutch players, who play the same way it will be easier for the team to develop.

the reid deal has all but died it seemed. i think arensen has said that hes too expensive. 5 mil for a unproven player or you can look to europe proven quality for cheaper.

van pierse cost aresenal around 3 mil. and he is quality

Advertisement