Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson K700 & S700

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

OK Guye , Some help needed here . I've gone through the setup on Se's site for MMS and E-Mail . but when i go to send pic msg or mail it moves it to OUTBOX and no further ..

Did you get through setup ok ???

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

MMS now goes to Outbox before it's sent a few moments later.

It just worked for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

not for me . Going to Outbox and staying put ...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Looks like a good phone. Looks like one of the only decent new phones.

I'd like to get my hands on one before I'd think about buying it but it looks like no network here is gonna get it. As previously posted Vodafone wont, not that I want one from them, O2 also wont and I highly doubt Meteor will.

Try it out <- that's as good as I've gotten so far.

After having the phone for a while now what are peoples opinions on it? Still as good as they thought or are there any little things that bug you about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Well I'm still really happy with mine. One of the features which hasn't really been mentioned is the ability to play 3gp video files. I've a few clips from friends and seinfeld on my phone.:) There are also several programs available which will convert almost any video file format into 3gp so you can use it on your phone. The only downside is the lack of expandable memory, even though the built-in 41MB is pretty generous compared to most other phones with no expandable memory.

Like kevmac said, I can't really think of anything that SE missed in this phone (apart from expanable memory, but the S700 will have this). It has a radio, MP3 player, video player(3gp), good camera, video camera and great connectivity options. It's also surprisingly small. Oh, and it's not a Nokia.:D

• Advertisement

When you say not expandable do you mean you wont even be able to get an add on gizmo - twas on the T610 I think or something like that.

Hmm... I can't find it as an accessory on SEs page for either phone. Maybe it was something unofficial that might be released for the K700? :)

Must ask him about it next time I see him.

Thanks. The phone looks like one of the best/the best option available at the moment. Hopefully will win something in the lottery now. :p

By expandable I meant the ability to add memory to the phone in the form of some sort of memory card. The S700, due in Q4, is compatable with Sony Memory stick duo.

There was an MP3 player attachment for the T610 which clipped on to the bottom of the phone and took MMC memory cards. Maybe that's what you're thinking about?

Carphone Warehouse's new Irish brochure lists the K700 for September 1 release in Ireland.

I presume that means Sim free, and Network branded phones.

Don't get the Vodafone, unless you really have to, as they have blocked off the phones ability to use MP3s as ringtones unless you buy the jingle through Voda Live.

Yeah the MP3 player attachment was what I was thinking of. Didn't see it listed on SE's accessories page for the phone. They have a standalone bluetooth mp3 player for the K700 which takes some sorta expandable memory. It's only interaction with the phone is to cut off when you get a phone call and cut back in afterwards. Nifty enough but I'd never bother with it unless if could be used as expandable memory.

Come to think of it Carphone Warehouse brochure was the first place I noticed it. Silly me for not remembering. Wonder how much it'll be. Wouldn't expect it to be terribly reasonable unsubsidised. I'd never touch a Vodafone version. I hate the look of that Vodafone live rubbish. Thanks for the advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by halenger
    They have a standalone bluetooth mp3 player for the K700 which takes some sorta expandable memory. It's only interaction with the phone is to cut off when you get a phone call and cut back in afterwards.

it's the HBM-30, a great little device and come down a lot in price since i got it

had a spare 128MB MS Duo already (comes with a 64MB one) and needed to get a decent pair of headphones and NiMH batteries to use with it though...

BrianG

• Advertisement

I was just looking at the forum over on esato and it looks like Sony Ericsson have implemented an end-user update system for the K700i, so we'll all be able to update to the latest firmware ourselves.:) A few people over on esato have tried it but can't seem to get it to work yet. It's probably not fully functional yet and besides, there probably hasn't been a firmware update released by SE yet. The only drawback is that you have to have one of the SE USB Sync Stations. I think P800 and P900 users have these, but they can also be ordered from the SE E-shop or mobilefun etc.

Anyway, pretty cool I thought.:)

The link to the thread is Here.

And here's the Sony Ericsson K700i update portal. Link

mobile-review.com have a S700 preview up including example pictures taken with the handset...

Sony Ericsson S700 – abilities of the mega-pixel camera

BrianG

Now the full review is up:

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-s700-en.shtml

Very disapointing- it has the exact same software as my K700.

I thought that SE would have made it even more cutting edge.

The only thing going for it is the big screen and memory card slot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i got a k700i last week, and i love it. lots of great features, but the battery life is a drawback. at the moment i find 2 days is pushing it... but all in all, it's the best €100 i ever spent! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Been using the S700i now for the last week and it's possibly the best phone I've used all year, it might even be a worthy successor to my venerable N7650!

Not much point uploading images as they'd be no different to the ones posted earlier by DubWireless, bar a minor re-design on the rear casing which can be seen over on the mobile-review.com page.

Just quickly: reasonable battery life - say maybe 48hrs tops with moderate use of all features i.e. camera/mp3 player/radio/phone call/SMS etc. The screen is brilliant, very rich in colour. Camera is quite impressive (wait for the new Sharp 2.0MP camera though :)) and the flashlight feature works OK, I'm thinking the Sharp GX20 + GX30 have better camera flashlight brightness. MP3 player is a bit buggy for now but works nicely, the sound is nice and clear through the supplied SE handsfree headset. The radio is very good too, very fast at scrolling through the stations, very crisp too.

The keypad lights up blue, that's always a plus in my book. It sits perfectly int he hand, nice weight to it, very solid feel to it. Browsing through the images and some menus can be a bit slow at times but it's tolerable at the worst of times. E-mail client works a charm, Bluetooth works fine but I'm hoping SE expand its usefullness a bit more, some limited transfer options at present.

There's almost no sound from the keys when texting away, practically silent. The side-button lock feature works well too. The best world clock feature I've ever seen... well it's got a map of the world, in colour, and you can navigate around with a little dot to select different cities and such - it's the little things that count :)

A great phone overall. An MP3 player, 1.2MP camera and phone all in one! :)

My 2 ¢

Hi Fidelis, how did you get your hands on a working S700? :)

If you still have it, could you post a picture taken with the camera? What's it like to use with the keypad out for texting etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Fidelis always gets the best toys

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

carrotcake: where'd you get it for €100??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

german contract ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

bastid.

None of the networks here have em :(

I'm not due an upgrade until march anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hi Fidelis, how did you get your hands on a working S700? :)

How indeed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

So testing seems to have gone very well ;)

When can we expect it to be launched in Ireland ?

The latest whitepaper for the upcoming S700 is available here: (you have to register to view it)

http://developer.sonyericsson.com/site/global/docstools/phonespecs/p_phonespecs.jsp

Sadly, it confirms that the S700 will only support Sony Memory Stick Duo and not Duo Pro. The phones external memory will be limited to 128MB with the Duo memory sticks. It will have an internal memory of 32MB, which brings the phone's max possible memory to around the 160MB mark. Still a decent amount of memory but those wishing to exploit the camera and the MP3 player will probably be a bit disapointed by the limited expandable memory.

If you still have it, could you post a picture taken with the camera? What's it like to use with the keypad out for texting etc..?
    Here's a picture (234kb) taken with the camera at maximum resolution (1280x960).

As for the keypad, it can be a bit awkward at times. Sometimes I find myself hitting the power button rather than the hash key. The power button situated directly beneath the hash key. It's to do with the fact that the central row of keys (2,5,8,0) are positioned a couple of milimetres lower than the other keys. Nothing major. The feel from the keys is nice though, practically silent when texting away.
    When can we expect it to be launched in Ireland ?
    Haven't a clue about this one, sorry.

Thanks for that picture Fidelis. Grafton Street looks well. :D

The quality is excellent. It's hard to believe that picture was taken with a mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The quality is excellent. It's hard to believe that picture was taken with a mobile phone.

Ah but it wasnt , it was taken by the perfect blend of camera and phone :D
    Sorry i was at the SE party a few weeks back and had to listen to a presentation on their ideas.

there's a pretty lengthy S700 preview over on the Howard Forums with a lot of pics of the device, comparisons with other devices and screen shots (so anyone on dial-up prepare for a hefty download...)

BrianG

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

brian any release dates on the S700 yet either contract or sim-free. Also will it be using RIM software for push based e-mail like the new P910

hi - sorry no confirmed (UK) release dates that i've seen for the SIM Free model yet - best place to see when SE models start to appear is the likes of www.esato.com forum or the www.clubsonyericsson.com site

on contract, well to be honest i only go on actually seeing a handset available in the stores here to know when it has really been released - some of the operator's are testing it alright but haven't seen it published in any of their season brochures as 'coming soon' yet

no mention of built-in RIM's Blackberry functionality that i've seen, only for their Symbian UIQ P900 series so far...

• Advertisement

It's looking like the K700i will be making an appearance on the Vodafone network after all.

Advertisement