Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving Poly tones without GPRS??

Options
  • 25-05-2004 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Basically, the problem is this: -
    I want to put a polyphonic ringtone on my Nokia 6610 ( I have the .mid file), but I can't use WAP or GPRS on the 6610 (they are a bit screwed up on the phone)
    Is it possible to for someone to send a polyphonic tone to my Nokia 6610 without the 6610 having to use the WAP or GPRS service? If so, what phones have the capability of sending them? Or perhaps there's another way to get a polyphonic ringtone on the phone? (I don't really want to buy a data cable either)

Any help would be great.
    Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

You can only receive Poly ringtones by wap AFAIK, but i could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

You could try infrared from another phone, although some nokia's will only accept ringtones and pictures via infrared from Nokia PC Suite only.

You're best bet though is to get your GPRS/WAP sorted out and just use that. Check the sticky at the top of the forum for the operator settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Cheers lads, but here's the problem with the GPRS settings : -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=1649928

I only want to put a simple poly ringtone on the phone. I'd normally put them up on my website and download them from there, but with no GPRS, I can't :dunno:

Hmm I've never seen an option to send a tone via infra-red ???? Is it possible?

Thanks,

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Originally posted by dcGT
    Hmm I've never seen an option to send a tone via infra-red ???? Is it possible?

Ah, I didn't realise you were having such hassle with your GPRS.

All I can tell you is that I tried sending pictures and ringtones to a 6100 a few weeks ago, but it would not accept them. As far as I know you can only transfer pics etc, from a PC or laptop with an infrared port using Nokia PC Suite. That's the reason I'll probably never go back to a Nokia again. Their implementations of infrared and bluetooth are plagued with these kinds of problems/limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

You certainly can do it using PC suite - which is free from the Nokia website or came on a CD with the phone...

• Advertisement

Ah right, thanks for the info.
    I'm just wondering, does anyone know how those websites (the ones that charge you for the poly tones) send the poly ringtones to phones? Is this by GPRS?

Cheers,

DC.

Advertisement