Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

antennas

• 25-05-2004 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

a router/ap i'm looking at has a 2 dBi gain iccle antenna,
    and you can replace it with an external 9 dBi outdoor antenna if you want.

what is the relationship of dBi?
    is it 4.5 times stronger?
    or does it work on a logarithmic scale?
    [as with speaker wattage]

dave:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭lynchie

Its logarithmic based the same as watts. A 30dbi antenna pumps out 1W while a 20dbi antenna pumps out 100mW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

i;m still confused...

so its way more than 4.5 times
    more powerful???

dave

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's not so much "more powerful" as "more focused" - antenna gain can't increase the power of the transmitter, but concentrates it into specific directions. A high-gain omni works by reducing the signal available above and below it, and increasing the signal roughly in a horizontal plane around it.

Every 3dB of gain doubles your signal strength. A 9dB antenna is 5 times more useful (in its peak direction) than a 2dB [ 2^((9-2)/3) ] unless my understanding is way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

i need the vertical signal
    [to service 3 floors]
    so it's not a good idea to get that antenna then??

dave

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by davidclayton
    i need the vertical signal
    [to service 3 floors]
    so it's not a good idea to get that antenna then??
    Not if it's an omni, no. If it's a planar type of antenna, then it achieves gain by focusing the signal in a particular direction. A 9dB planar (like this one) has a beamwidth of 50x75 degrees. Mounted at the top of a building, pointing straight down, it should give you the coverage you need.

That depends on the building's construction, of course - timber floors tend not to be a problem, but concrete is a disaster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement