Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women and Loads Of Makeup!!!

• 25-05-2004 2:18pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why do women have to wear so much make up?? way too many girls are absolutely coated in the stuff. Its not that i dont like make up some of it is nice but most these days where way too much. What do you guys think and girls too why do you insist on wearing so much.

I would definitely prefer girls that dont wear so much make up. Natural beauty is way nicer because pretty much any girl can make herself look good one night but then the next day she isnt.

Anyway what do you think about it all

How much make up do you like/wear?? 50 votes

i wear loads of it
    0% 0 votes
    just a small bit
    16% 8 votes
    None at all, natural beauty is te only way
    84% 42 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Natural beauty is way nicer because pretty much any girl can make herself look good one night but then the next day she isnt.

Problem is most girls aren't naturally beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

too much is not cool

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

At least go for natural ugly then, instead of Oompah-Loompah mingingitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

anne doyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

IMO, naturally good-looking girls shouldn't cover their looks up with makeup. It should be used to enhance beauty, not to replace it.

At least ugly girls have a reason to cake themselves in makeup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭catsup

doing exams at the moment. not eating properly, not getting enough sleep and stress will do nasty things to your skin, so make up is the solution.
    if i had perfect skin i wouldnt wear make up, but i dont.

oompa loompas aught to know better tho:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

and um the vote resullts aren't convincing either

come on , whos not telling the truth ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

yeah where are all the "oompa loompas" some of you are afraid to admit you wera too much make up

Stick up for yourself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by theciscokid
    and um the vote resullts aren't convincing either

come on , whos not telling the truth ;)

Chances are plenty of us are male and voting for option 3...

How 'bout that Orlaith Rafter from Fair City eh? (The one that works in the garage...) PHWOARRR!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I think bard is right, there are not many of us girls on boards and I cant recall any of them wearing a ton of makeup?
    I only wear a small bit of foundation and lipstick. If I had a perfect complextion I wouldnt wear anything at all.

So this poll cant possibly reflect the answer the poster wanted as the girls he must see daily are not boards.ie posters I am sure ;)

by the number on the polls I would say that the guys are answering as well because I dont think there are over ten female users registered, are there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

you fool, any idiot who wears too much make-up doesn't think they wear too much make-up, or else they wouldn't be wearing it.

i usually dont wear alot of make-up, but when im going out or my skin looks particularly pale or blotchy i will wear some power.

i tend to wear more eye make-up than anything else, i avoid sticky foundations and lipsticks because i hate the way they feel on my skin. usually just some eye shadow and mascara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Originally posted by catsup
    doing exams at the moment. not eating properly, not getting enough sleep and stress will do nasty things to your skin, so make up is the solution.
    if i had perfect skin i wouldnt wear make up, but i dont.

oompa loompas aught to know better tho:eek:

Make up ain't good for your skin either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Barbie_666

Originally posted by Seraphina

i usually dont wear alot of make-up, but when im going out or my skin looks particularly pale or blotchy i will wear some power.

i tend to wear more eye make-up than anything else.

usually just some eye shadow and mascara.

im the same.

alot of my friends look as if they've been tangoed though...:rolleyes:

seraphina is right too...those clowns who put thier make-up on with a paint brush have no idea how ridiculous they look.
    You can generally see them a block away and cant help but make fun of them...its sad really.

I wish I could wear eye makeup but anytime I put anything on my eyes they itch and I end up rubbing it all away, even the hypo-alergenic stuff.
    and I think blush is gross...foundation is bad enough. I dont like the way it makes my skin feel in the summer so I use very little.
    The only makeup I carry with me every where is lip-gloss or lip stick as my lips tend to get dry with out it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I never needed mascara, I have naturally amazing lashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

The only time I've ever worn a full face of makeup was for my debs and that was cos the fake tan had worn off my face.I was only slightly tanned tho.
    That was also the only time I've ever worn foundation. The only make up I ever wear is eye makeup and sometimes blusher cos I'm really pale with naturally brown-black hair so I often look washed-out.I hate lipstick,lip gloss,etc with a passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Originally posted by BEAT
    So this poll cant possibly reflect the answer the poster wanted as the girls he must see daily are not boards.ie posters I am sure ;)

Hit the nail on the head there, I think.

"boards.ie... It's not for Oompah-Loompahs." :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

"Welcome on board Flight 464, the emergency exits are to your left and to your right....."

ww-oompa-loompah.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

This isn't as unvisited a topic on these boards as you might think...

My two cents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I can't understand why girls wear about three inches of makeup on their skin. It looks terrible, it makes them look uglier and can make their faces look dirty too!

I know this girl and she cakes herself in fake tan and she also cakes her face, and cakes it on numerous occasions during the day as well to top up her face, and ohhh my god, if you saw the colour difference between me and her, it's jus scary!!! (Imagine a freakish bottle browney / orange - yup that's what she wears!!!)

I only wear a tiny bit of it, because if you wear too much it looks unnatural and you don't want to have this makeup line on the edges of your face, blending is the key!! I hate lipstick coz I, well, I jus don't like it! And I'll never be able to understand the fascination with black eyes looking like you've been punched twice!

Ahhh ... some girls really needed a makeup lesson from their mothers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

im not a fan of that fake tan stuff either it makes girls look orange. dunno what the huge attraction is of wearing fake tan i always say it my girlfriend because your just gonna be the same again the next day. If you wanna a tan , you should make it real by going to sun beds or something. I dunno I suppose i just dont like the whole fake thing it has to natural for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

As Martin Fry of ABC once sang

Some things are hidden
    some things you see
    Make them known
    signal to me
    Nine out of ten in every case
    She might look pretty
    But there's makeup on that face...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

i wear make up.. usually only going out and mostly eye make up.. depends on what way your dressed or your hair is.. and i can't understand why women look tangoed or oompa looma (ed).. if you buy the proper make up for your skin and shade then you don't really notice it tbh.. many women who look natural have some foundation on.. they just know how to do it right..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I think that women sohuld only use a small amount. Even the "ugly" ones, if they slap on a bit of foundation and some eye stuff and a little lipgloss then sweet. But if they cake on tangy orange colour plaster well then they're going to look worse of then they started.

John

(I dont actually know anything about foundation, lipgloss or make-up products in general, I am not a user)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Actually I kinda dig it.

Especially the whole goth chick thing... man I can't get enough of that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I think girls that wear loads of makeup look like tramps trying to cover up spots and make them selves look like they have a tan and that goes for fake tan also if you take one home you beds sheets are distroyed the next morning with left over cosmetics

take a hint ladies natural beauty is best

If it looks like you have makeup on, then you have too much on. That is a good rule of thumb for applying foundation. It should look natural and match your current skin tone. Trouble is a lot of girls dont know this, they buy a shade darker because they think its for making your skin darker, it isnt.
    it is to even out your complextion and hide tiny flaws.
    If you can see that your neck and face are two different shades...well you need a little help from someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Yeah a friend of mine buys a shade darker and puts foundation all over her neck, on the top of her back etc - I don't understand it!!

Just a little bit of foundation to even out skin tone, some eye make-up and finish off with a little bit of lip gloss is all anyone needs!!!

Then there are the girls with the most horrible tide marks - how can they not see that their face and neck are completely different colours or how could their friends let them out like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

I used to wear ALOT of make-up and put on fake tan:rolleyes: .... But i stopped, and i only wear a little eyemake-up now....... Less is more ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭catsup

Originally posted by Sleepy
    Make up ain't good for your skin either...

well sleepy, that aint necessarily so. some makeup has stuff in it thats good for the skin, tea tree oils etc. (Benefit)

i reckon the aim of makeup is to even out skin tone, and good makeup aint even noticable, just makes the skin appear blemish free.

btw, is there a health and beauty forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

not to my knoledge , but u should suggest on Bickering/Suggestions .

edit : forum has a different name now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

ya know, I think threads like this are just a fishing line to see which of the boards.ie posters are gurls...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yah the makeup thread brings all the girls out in droves ;)

Heh, so is the conclusion that guys hate makeup? Or hate realising it?

Most of the time, if ye think that a girl ain't wearing any, she is, but has been incredibly skillful :)

That's the way it should be - less is more! None of this fake tan crap or foundation that's a million times darker than your skin tone, these girls who do this should invest in a large mirror and see how hideous they look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm not a big fan of make-up, i only wear it going out. I find it gives me more spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a vicious circle.
    Women wear make up to cover blemishes in their skin yet the vast majority of make up irritates the skin,doesnt allow it to breathe and results in poorer skin.
    A certain amount of make up is nice but too much is a disaster esp when it has more foundation than the Empire State building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

my girlfriend often ends up over doing the eye-shadow... she says its because the light in our room isn't the best, so it looks fine under dimmer light, then we go out and she has black-blue eyes.

a question though, if you guys see a girl with eyes like that do you think they are over doing the make up? or does it look like someone hit them.

i'm constantly paranoid that ppl will think i hit her or something when her eyes look like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I think people can tell the difference between a bruise and bad ass make-up

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

(too much) Fake tan = oompa loompa.

Whenever i see a girl turning orange due to too much fake tan, its a MAJOR turnoff. I don't care how good looking she might be, but an orange face is not something i want to wake up to every morning.

Also, too much lipstick. For gods sake women! You don't need an inch thick layer. And reapplying every 30 mins is just too much.

that was a bit of an exaggeration, she only reapplies every 2hours or so, but still....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Originally posted by BEAT
    by the number on the polls I would say that the guys are answering as well because I dont think there are over ten female users registered, are there?

you seem to be suggesting that guys cant have an opinion or wear make up, A touch of blush really highlights my cheek bones I'll have you know. And foundation can hide skin color varience very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Lioness

blame the make-up companies for the creation of human ompa lumpas!

those companies just dont manufacture foundation for the pale and fair irish skin type. thats the problem. im sure other gals here can testify.
    few days ago i was lookin at foundations.
    makeup labeld "ivory" or "nude" is supposed to be for a pale skin tone. yet when i squeesed some out of the tester it was orange!! even when blended in it still was v.noticeable!! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by SheroN
    Problem is most girls aren't naturally beautiful.

You really are the Bernard Manning of boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Originally posted by Lioness
    blame the make-up companies for the creation of human ompa lumpas!

those companies just dont manufacture foundation for the pale and fair irish skin type. thats the problem. im sure other gals here can testify.
    few days ago i was lookin at foundations.
    makeup labeld "ivory" or "nude" is supposed to be for a pale skin tone. yet when i squeesed some out of the tester it was orange!! even when blended in it still was v.noticeable!! :confused:

This is true and it's why I rarely wear foundation. It's especially awful if your skintone is more pink than peach as most 'pale' foundations seem to have yellow undertones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I wouldn't/can't blame the companys. Girls don't have to buy the products.
    Perfect example: I was at wedding last weekend. I was sitting at dinner with two absolutly beautiful girls. Stunning.

....but both had fake tan on, and both just looked like they hadn't washed. Seriously - it was all blotchy etc. It just made them look dirty. Now, make up really dosen't bother me - if applied correctly and in moderation, but blotchy orange skin just isn't attrictive. It was an awful shame.

I can understand that girls with really white pasty skin, wanna appear like they have a tan, but when ity goes wrong - it goes really wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ShevY

neev wrote:
    "Welcome on board Flight 464, the emergency exits are to your left and to your right....."

ww-oompa-loompah.jpg

LMAO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Zulu wrote:
    I can understand that girls with really white pasty skin, wanna appear like they have a tan

I dunno what the big deal is with the fake tan, I find pale skin females more attractive tbh. I seen a girl yesturday that was tangoed pretty heavily.... uck :eek: :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

ando wrote:
    I dunno what the big deal is with the fake tan, I find pale skin females more attractive tbh. I seen a girl yesturday that was tangoed pretty heavily.... uck :eek: :confused:
    It dosen't really bother me either way. But I can understand the girls point of view. I understand why they want a tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

personally the only makeup i wear would be lip gloss or a dash of kohl to enhance my eyes, but that is it. i hate mascara and i have never in my life worn foundation. i really do think foundation is just useless. any of my friends that wear it just look worse. their faces develop a pastry sort of texture..ugghh.anyway my skin is fairly dark so even if i did wear foundation it would probalby look horrific.foundation on darker skin does not look good at all....anyway any guys here wear makeup? i'm talking along the lines of johhny depp in ''pirates of the carribbean..very nifty. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

Being blonde with pale skin I tend to wash out without a little makeup. I use the least amount that I can get away with. Mascara is a have to have or I look as if I don't have any eyelashes ( scary ) and if I'm in a mood to wear "alot" I'll put on a bit of blush and lipstick.

I've seen women that wear ALOT of makeup and look half way decent, but when you see them without the makeup they are hideous ! I feel bad for any poor guy that took a good looking woman to bed one night only to find some scary creature lying in bed with him the next morning !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I never thought make-up and Alcohol would have something in common :p .

• Advertisement
Advertisement