Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange mail problem....

Options
  • 25-05-2004 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have never come across this before - but I'm sure its something simple that I am just too lazy to find out!

Every now and then my mails arrive with the body of the email attached as an attachment.

Initially I thought it was something to do with Norton AV, so I disabled this and it still happens.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Are the mails being forwarded to you, most email apps give the option to Forward as attachment or as inline. I know Mozilla/Thunderbird forward emails as an attachment by default.

If this is the case I don't know of any around it, except for asking your friends/colleagues to forward mails as inline..

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Thanks fragile,

This has just happened all of a sudden. I would be surprised if everyone sending me mails has all of a sudden changed to send emails as an attachment instead of inline.

But will have a look!

T

Another possibility is that the emails you are receiving are in HTML/RTF form and your email app is set-up to view emails as text only, which would mean the HTML part would be an attachment, what email client are you using?

Outlook and no not set to receive text only versions.

This is a wild guess, but are you running Windows XP and if so have you installed the recently released Service Pack 2?

This service pack contains a lot of security enhancements for Windows XP, and turns on a lot of security features that are normally disabled, see the link below for further info:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2email.mspx

I could be way off the mark, but it certainly seems possible

• Advertisement

Hmmmm not sure if its that either!

Thanks for helping though!

The reason I don't thinks its that is because i am getting these attachments with emails intermittently and they seem to only be the plain text emails that it is happening to!

Ill get to the bottom of it yet! No doubt its something simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

eh, service pack 2 hasn't been released yet, its still in beta.

Originally posted by Stephen
    eh, service pack 2 hasn't been released yet, its still in beta.

My mistake, it is still a beta, I just remembered reading about the changes to Outlook somewhere..

OK I'd like to resurrect this post if possible, this is getting extremely annoying now!

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem, not so long ago - outlook started adding a text file attachments to my incoming mails.

The file is titled the same as the subject and it contains the message of the email in the body.

This doesnt happen all the time and seems to only happen with text formatted emails.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Tom

which version of Outlook are you using?

Michele

• Advertisement

2002 / Office XP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

in XP when you send a link to a web page the link is sent as an attachment. there`s a small registry hack to get over this. the problem is not with your setup but with whoever is sending the emails

Originally posted by greglo23
    in XP when you send a link to a web page the link is sent as an attachment. there`s a small registry hack to get over this. the problem is not with your setup but with whoever is sending the emails

That's not the problem. It's plain text emails - without or without links.

Tom

Advertisement