Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm sure Wayne Bridge will be delighted...

• 25-05-2004 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Last week I posted:
    There will be big changes at Madrid this summer - the Brazilian contingent could be joining Chelsea as early as next week. Roberto Carlos has been told that the contract extension offer on the table is final and if it's money he's after then he will be sold to Chelsea. He has been told that he has until next Tuesday to decide. The club have also received an offer in the region of €45-50M for Ronaldo from Chelsea, the board are tired of his off the pitch antics and are seriously considering saying yes to the bid. The final decision will be left to Camacho if/when he takes over as manager.

In the meantime there was a final meeting or rather the Real representatives showed up and Roberto Carlos sent his brother in his place (because he knows this is what you do to piss off Perez and Valdano). At which point Valdano said "Right, Chelsea it is then" and everyone left.

Today Sky are running the Carlos to Chelsea for £20M story.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Replacing a young, improving, consistent, english full back for an aging Roverto Carlos?

Good move Chelsea!

/me sniggers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

20 million for a 31 year old full back i dont care how many jersey sales he generates thats a ridiculous extravagence

as an arsenal fan all i can say is keep up the good work chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I thought bridge had quite a good season, and he will only get better..

some of the blokes chelsea are buying, or talking about buying are really weird..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND

some of the blokes chelsea are buying, or talking about buying are really weird..

Does it matter there richer than many small countrys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

sky also claim he will be on 120,000 a week wages . ( I think its sterling , as its sky sports news but it could be Euro )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Big Ears
    sky also claim he will be on 120,000 a week wages . ( I think its sterling , as its sky sports news but it could be Euro )

They're ridiculous wages to be paying a footballer who's best years have past!

Roberto Carlos is reknowned for being a pacy, attacking fullback. Given the nature of his skill, it won't be long before his age starts to catch up with his pace and ability to run from end to end on the pitch.

If Chelsea do go ahead with buying Carlos for this amount of money it will be money totally wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

its probably fair to say that Abrah sees himself as some sort of director of football, in sole charge of transfer dealings. Its this deal which may see Murinho choose LFC, its exactly the interference that he has already described as a pain in the hole.

I believe that Bridge was a quality performer for Chelsea this season and with youth on his side. The current set up at chelsea demonstrates a very poor comprehension of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Carlos in EPL would be great to see but for about 15 matches a season.

People forget he is a really good defender and for the amount of times he goes forward rarley gets caught out (by caught out i mean team scoring from that big gap he leaves)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With such stories flying around it must make serious candidates for the managers job look sideways at the club and its owner. Carlos is'nt worth 2 mill never mind 20, he's liability.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Well i'm delighted. but i'm a man u fan and i'm only delighted cause its a bad move for chelsea. Bridge has had a really good season and has been a bargin for Chelsea at £7million. But i have no idea why they would buy an aging fullback for £20million.
    Bridge is a better defender then Carlos and it will be a shame if he is on the bench for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by mike65
    Carlos is'nt worth 2 mill never mind 20, he's liability.

he (carlos) is of course the brazilian Ian Harte..

a ridiculous buy for chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He thinks he is a second winger, not a fullback.

It suits him great, since hes not that great a winger, and he can get off his defensive responsibilities by saying "hey i was on the attack"

He wouldn't get a game in most top clubs except for the fact he is so well known, so he'll fit right in in chelsea :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by PHB
    He wouldn't get a game in most top clubs

LOL!

The words "Real" and "Madrid" spring to mind. Will you remind me again how many champions league medals he has? How many world cup medals?

Oh I forgot, its just because he is well known, they give these things to well known people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've seen him loads this season on La Liga and he has never failed to impress. Still though i would be pissed off if Utd payed that much for him. Waste of money but Chelsea can afford it. I wouldnt be anoyed if i was a Chelsea fan anyway

The key word is most.

He isn't a defender he is an attacker.
    The reason he gets his game in Real Madrid is because of the looney in charge who thinks the game is only about attacking.

If he wants to be a winger, good for him.
    I don't think hes a world class winger but he ain't too bad.

The only reason he is a defender is because he knew he wasn't good enough as a striker and wanted to be on the Brazilian team.

He used to be a winger but couldn't cut it, thus became a full back.

Everytime I see him play he leaves huge gaps in the defence in favour of attacking, thats not what he is meant to do and he wouldn't get his game if he kept doing that in most top clubs.

Brazil get away with it because they have such an amazing goalie and centre backs that they can afford it.
    Also they score a billion goals a game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

It has always been said that Roberto Carlos cannot defend, and it is hype that I once believed until I studied him closer.

Sure he bombs forward a lot and occassionally leaves gaps behind, but without doubt he scores/creates more goals that he concedes by this. And when he plays against the top teams, these runs forward are cut down dramatically. For example, he's come up against David Beckham a good few times in the last few years in Eng v Brazil and ManU v RMad games, and every single time he dominated Beckham, didnt give him a kick. Also his best defensive performances for Madrid are often reserved for the Barca games.

5/6/7 years ago he'd make more than the odd blooper by dawdling on the ball in defence or trying to do too much near his own box, but he's cut all that out in recent years.

In my opinion, he was head and shoulders the best left back at the last World Cup.

He's a great left back. At his age, worth in the region STG£6-8m, IMO, taking everything into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

IMO he is an excellent defender. He is excellent going forward, loads of pace and can score goals. The perfect full back. Gerry Armstrong picked him and Salgado as his two full backs in his Primera Liga team of the season. The reason Real leak so many goals is not the full backs fault. They have no centre backs.

In saying that 20m for him is too much but obviously Roman doesnt want to haggle. He just thinks of a number that he feels will guarantee the sale and faxes it off.

Bad news for Wayne Bridge. Hopefully good news for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by PHB

The only reason he is a defender is because he knew he wasn't good enough as a striker and wanted to be on the Brazilian team.

So they just give places to the people that want it most in brazil now do they? I wanted to be on the ireland team, but as im crap im not there. RC Is a good full back and hence gets his place and would more than likely get his place on most top teams.

Hes there on merit, accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I have said a few times on boards that people who say RC can't defend obviously are just listening to the media and try to pick up on the few mistakes he makes.

PHB, RC was always a full back, when he signed for Inter they tried him as a left winger but he was crap. Also, i wouldn't call Roque Junior an amazing centre back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

You'd swear he's joined, a bid hasn't even been lodged yet. Anyway I heard that the whole thing is a smokescreen and that Chelsea want another Real player.

• Advertisement

Lucio could play with me and I'd be a brilliant center back :)

My experience is from watching him play, so don't just say crap like "oh you've obviously seen the hype etc" cause thats just crap

PHB, answer my questions, how many champions league medals does he have? How many world cups? How many copa americas?

Out of the current madrid team, there are only 2 players who have been first team regulars since they began dominating. Him and Raul. Its hardly because of his boyish good looks.

And brazil have an amazing goalie and centre backs? Who are these? I would hardly call any of them amazing.

How many world cups? How many copa americas?

How many does Kleberson have?
    Way more than most midfielders in the world, therefore he is a better player?!

I'm not saying he's not a good player, I'm saying hes not a great player, and I wouldn't play him ahead him ahead of most of the top club's Left Backs.

Just because you have the rep doesn't make you a great player, you have to qualify it by being a solid good player, which I don't think he does in the left back position.

Dida and Lucio.

Dida is one of the best goalies in the world and Lucio imo is the best centre back in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Most knowlegdable soccer people who ignore the hype and actually judge him on performances recognise that Roberto Carlos is one the best left backs in European football. Not all though.

That is a fantastic argument there ya got.

Of course all I'm doing is reading the hype and saying yeah he obviously must be ****, there is no way somebody could disagree with me, thats just not possible, the only solution is that they are idiots.

gss

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

but of course your argument is full of accurate, factual reasoning!

Originally posted by PHB
    How many does Kleberson have?
    Way more than most midfielders in the world, therefore he is a better player?!

I'm not saying he's not a good player, I'm saying hes not a great player, and I wouldn't play him ahead him ahead of most of the top club's Left Backs.

Just because you have the rep doesn't make you a great player, you have to qualify it by being a solid good player, which I don't think he does in the left back position.

Im not saying that every player that won a champions league / world cup is better than any player that hasnt. My point is Roberto Carlos has 3 CL medals, 1 WC, 1 WC runners up, I dont know how many copa americas. He has played for the best team in the world at club level and internationally for the last 8 years. I have a sneeking suspicion it might be something to do with his ability.

Advertisement