Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ogg Vorbis and FLAC support

Options
  • 25-05-2004 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

what does this mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Ogg Vorbis is an audio compress format. A bit like mp3 or atrac. The only major difference is it's open source (patent-and-royalty-free) and it supports multichannel audio (256 channals I think!!!! ) Homepage

FLAC is an audio compress format too. It's a free, open source, multi-platform. Main difference here is that it's lossless audio compressor. When it compresses nothing is thrown away, uncompressing the file leaves the exact original. Unlike Mp3, WMA and other similar compression methods, which throws away sound information in the name of higher compression rates. FLAC will only obtain a maximum of 4:1 compression (more like 2:1 for normal use), a 3 minute track will take up about 30MB or there abouts.

Alot of bootleg concerts released online are gonna be FLAC to retain quality. So if hdd space is not an issue this is yer man.

So I guess if a device says it supports these formats it will play them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

ta :D
    Originally posted by The_Edge
    Ogg Vorbis is an audio compress format. A bit like mp3 or atrac. The only major difference is it's open source (patent-and-royalty-free) and it supports multichannel audio (256 channals I think!!!! ) Homepage

FLAC is an audio compress format too. It's a free, open source, multi-platform. Main difference here is that it's lossless audio compressor. When it compresses nothing is thrown away, uncompressing the file leaves the exact original. Unlike Mp3, WMA and other similar compression methods, which throw away sound information in the name of higher compression rates. FLAC will only obtain a maximum of 4:1 compression (more like 2:1 for normal use), a 3 minute track will take up about 30MB.

Alot of bootleg concerts online are gonna be FLAC to retain quality. So if hdd space is not an issue these is yer man.

So I guess if a device says it supports these formats it will play them. ;)

Advertisement