Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem trouble

Options
  • 25-05-2004 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

hey. i just got a second hand modem off a mate cause i had to replace my crappy soft56k. right heres my prob..

the softmodem works fine, im usin it now. if i replace the modem with the other and bootup it gets detected as an 'Intel 536ep Modem', it detects and installs properly etc but when i actually try and dial an isp with it i keep getting a no dialtone error!

i usually dial (9,) before the isp number for an outside line..and thats never been a problem. with this modem however, i can hear the line tone but the modem makes no attempt to dial and just leaves me with a no dialtone error after a few seconds.

i turned off the wait for dialtone option in dev manager and then the modem dialled.. but over the actual line tone if you get me, as in when it dials 9, the line tone doesnt change at all and it continues dialling the number on a closed line and evenutally stops again.

ive also tried windowsupdate, different drivers and stuff none made a difference.

fyi im usin winxp and the modem is a pci internal. ive also had the same problem with an external creative 56k

any ideas yall? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Go into your ISP connection properties. Check that the new modem is selected, and see if that makes a difference. In the pic below, I only have one modem, but in yours you should have two. The best thing to do is to delete the old one (from Modem/Phone options in the control panel, depending what version of Windows you're running).

modem.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

yeah id done all of that:)

also tried different slots but no luck..havent a clue why it wont work. would it have anything todo with me having an analog line? or maybe needing a dedicated one? the office (being the reason for dialling 9,) has isdn installed on the comp there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

No dialtone is not an installation issue.

It means windows can speak to your modem, but not with your phoneline.

Therefore it is either a physical issue (your phoneline or modem cable) or a settings issue.

Try the following -

Click Start
    Run
    Type hypertrm
    A window will open. If it asks something about making hyperterminal your default just say no.
    It will want a name. Type hello. Press OK.
    At the bottom you will see your modem name. Click on the list and choose the comport your modem is on (you'll see this in your modem properties in control panel.)
    Click OK.
    Click OK again.
    There will be a blank window.
    Type ATZ. Enter. If nothing appears hit return a few times and type ATE1. Enter.
    Here is the important bit.
    Type ATDT your_mobile_number. Enter.

Get back to me with the results.

Just so you know, if your mobile rings, there is nothing wrong with your modem or your modem cable or your phone line. It is a simple settings issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

thanks for all that, here are my mixed results;)

Modem A (the one that works fine)
    atz
    OK
    ate1
    OK
    atdt 9, 087XXXXXXX
    NO CARRIER

worked fine mobile rang away got 'no carrier' when i hung up

Modem B (that im trying to install)
    atz
    OK
    ate1
    OK
    atdt 9, 087XXXXXXX

and nothing.. modem dialled but wouldnt connect to phoneline and got modem engaged tone.

this is weird...

ive tried modem B in same port/config as the other but that didnt work either

so it aint the cable? or could it just be that these modems are choosy? or maybe they dont 'do' outside lines? :)

keep in mind i get the same problem with two different modems

Advertisement