Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helsinki

• 25-05-2004 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Some friends and I are interested in going to Helsinki for the weekend. Can anybody tell me any travel agencies in Dublin or on the internet that do City Breaks there.Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

went there a while ago with finnair and just booked the hotel seperately. I dont know if they still fly from dublin but its a fab airline.....The flight was amazing the landing as smooth as anything And Free drink and food the whole way, I fell of the plane :cool: I couldnt even finish all the drink they gave me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Falcon Travel on Camden St. is currently offering return flights to Helsinki for €283 with Finnair. They're also running package breaks to Helsinki, too.

Nice city, worth a visit. I'm off there for a month's study on Monday meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

i live here, dadakopf thinks im meeting him at the trainstation next week, but im not, i'll test his memory of where i live.

if ya need any tips on the city, just ask.

dw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Thanks for the info! Tips would be gratefully appreciated.

right, lets start with the basics.

the best way from the airport to the city is by bus. get the no615 (right outside the front door of the airport) and that goes to the city centre. its a 3euro ticket each way. (hold on to the ticket, its valid for 80minutes). this will take you to the main train station.

centre: its pretty small and compact. and because the city is on a peninsula, you're always only 10min walk from the sea. anyhoo, to the south of the train station is the shopping district

helsinki.gif

depends what you're into really, in and around the city centre is a lot of clubs n pubs (a few irish bars) and things like that, the kallio region (top right of map) has a lot of pubs too some pretty dingy some cool.

any idea when you are coming, or where the hotel is? i can see if there is anything on that weekend (there is lots of happenings here over the summer, the city goes a bit mad cos its warm and sunny and bright tilil after midnight)

dw

• Advertisement

Thanks a million drrnwbb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

if you're there long enough try getting a ferry to tallinn, that is one pretty place!! I have to say i was in finland for a few days last year and headed over to tallinn and I preferred tallinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭chabsey

PWEI....check your PMs. I sent you a message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

PWEI, if you want to eat out really cheaply in Helsinki, head for the department
    stores eg. Sokos and Stockmann. On the top floors of these stores they have dirt cheap restaurants. I got a lovely (full) meal including drink for only €6.50...great value considering Helsinki has a reputation for being expensive.

Talllin is defintely worth a trip. On the fast craft service from Helsinki port
    you could easily do it in a day.

Thanks for that jetsonx, definitely worth a look.We're going on a helicopter to Tallin
    so we should be trying to save money elsewhere. The helicopter ride to Tallin is going to cost about €100 which isn't bad.
    drrnwbb,sorry I didn't see the end of your post.We're actually going this Thursday for four days.We got a fairly good deal with ebookers flights plus four nights in a four star hotel for €450.The price of the flight was about €320.So is there any festivals or anthing going on this weekend?

• Advertisement

its helsinki day here on saturday. there will be a free open air concert in the park at the bottom of the city (kaivopuisto) - the open air gig is pretty cool, 2 years ago they had shakira and last year ricky martin, so it is pretty big (not very cool musically speaking of course). and lots of other stuff. the weather should be okay, nothing too fantastic, but it is bright from 0400 to 2300 ish. here is more info about the saturday: http://www.hel.fi/helsinkipaiva/hp2004/english/index.html

i shall be pretty drunk in my apartment that day. hurray. hyvää matkaa.

dw

Advertisement