Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Please help!! Whats wrong.

Options
  • 25-05-2004 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hope someone can help. I was driving my car today and there is something strange going on. It seems the car us using the clutch by itself.

Once I go over about 3,000-4,000 revs the clutch seems to kick in and the engine screams and I loose power. Even if I change up a gear it does the same thing. Its like I only had my foot slightly off the clutch the whole time.

If I keep it below 3,000 it runs ok but is a bit jumpy (hard to get a smooth gear change). Also very stff going into 1st & 2nd. When taking off at low revs there is also a vibration as if something is slipping.

Car: 2000 Audi A6 1.8T Quattro (75,000 miles)

Is my clutch going? What else could be wrong?

I am about to get a new clutch fitted (€700.00) so need to make sure that this is the problem before going ahead.

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Hmmm sorry mate but it does sound like a clutch problem to me :(. Its not a cheap job on the 1.8T's (happened me last year).

Post this over on www.vage.ie and see what you find out. The lads on there know the 1.8T engine rather well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some sort of vacume leak? Is it a hydralic clutch system?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It does sound like your clutch is slipping and therefore knackered. Slipping is a symptom of a badly worn clutch and to make matters worse the clutch starts to wear very rapidly once it starts to slip like that. Get it looked at asap before it lets you down completely.

BTW 700 quid to change a clutch on an executive motor like an Audi A6 quattro with a complex 4wd drivetrain - that sounds like a great price. I would have thought it would be well over a grand.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Originally posted by BrianD3
    BTW 700 quid to change a clutch on an executive motor like an Audi A6 quattro with a complex 4wd drivetrain - that sounds like a great price. I would have thought it would be well over a grand.

BrianD3

Yeah, me too. I got a quote of €1,200 from MSL (9 hours labour).

But then I tried Belgard and the gave me a quote of 700.00 (4 hours labour).

I'm not complaining:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Belgard are rather excellent in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by Robertr
    Yeah, me too. I got a quote of €1,200 from MSL (9 hours labour).

But then I tried Belgard and the gave me a quote of 700.00 (4 hours labour).

I'm not complaining:D
    Originally posted by Tommy Vercetti
    Belgard are rather excellent in my experience.[/B]
    obviously they are excellent if they took less than half the time MSL needed to do the same job! That appears to be a blatant rip off then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

Originally posted by Robertr
    Once I go over about 3,000-4,000 revs the clutch seems to kick in and the engine screams and I loose power.

had exactly the same problem and it was the clutch slipping, cost 500 for a new one(nissan almera) new clutch after 30,000 miles. that one took some explaining i can tell you

Advertisement