Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona's Transfer listed players.....

• 25-05-2004 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

According to Skysports news(tv) Barce are planning to sell: Cocu, Overmars, Kluivert, Reizeger & Rustu wonder how many if any of these players could be on their way to the premiership....id imagine some of the dutch lads will head back to holland. I saw Cocu was linked with PSV. Luis Enrique is also leaving the club at the end of the season...surely they will need to replace these, altho they are squad players...Barce must be planing on spending big again this summer. With the Davids transfer still up in the air I would have thought that Cocu would have stayed for another while at least.

Any thoughts on where these players will go? Kluivert to Arsenal....the obvious one.

-No link on this yet they just read it out.
    link: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=205280

I saw they made the vanBronckhorst deal a perminant one, he has done well there good to see. Still think Arsenal could have used him for rotation next/this year.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=205231

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by johnor

Any thoughts on where these players will go? Kluivert to Arsenal....the obvious one.

Yep, speculation on this is founded, Barcelona are willing to sell and Arsenal willing (needing) to buy. I think he'd fit in very well at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I think Kluivert might go to Newcastle. He has been linked there in the past and i can see him going there but the fact that Newcastle havent got Champions League football then he might want to go somewhere else. Overmars might go to Birmingham. he was linked with them a few months ago but that was just paper rumors and he would most likely want to go to a bigger club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Good Evening

How we doin everyone man it feels good to be no longer behind bars, now I believe that arsenal have definately lost out this year on Gio Van Bronckhorst. The guy has had quite an intrestingly good season in La liga, in fairness at the start of the season he was only just alright but he totally picked his game along with the rest of barcelona since Edgar Davids and Stoitchov(as Coach) came in. Gio could have easily cemented a place this season in Arsenal especially that Edu had a mediocre run in the first team keeping out Gilberto most of the time, in my opinion Edu & Gilberto arent quality players and Gio has showed that he is quality in Spain.

But to retiterate and getting back to the main subject Kluivert has gone down the plug hole since Figo & Rivaldo left Barcelona. In fairness he should of came to the premiership two years ago, but he certainly should not accuired by Arsene as he has possibly the best player in the world "Henry", an Intresting upcomer in Reyes and also there is van Persie. Kluivert would simply become the new Kanu. Kluivert is no longer the player he was, he was dropped by Dick Advocaat in the dutch national team because he could simply not play with RVN up front.

Kluivert should and would maybe fit in at newcastle but then again when bellamy is in form he can be top notch. The only place he may be able to rebuild that reputation is at Middlesbrough, and he would play in Europe next season.

On Barca, I believe they should hold on to Davids as he has such a positive effect on a team .

Willem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by johnor
    Barce must be planing on spending big again this summer.
    Didn't the president of Barca say during the season that Rijkaard would have millions (can't remember the figure but it was a lot) to spend? He said this after they bought Ronaldinho and I think Davids is the only arrival since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

And Quaresma, but Rijkaard didn't accuire them.

van Bronckhorst is to sign for 3 years.
    Reziger leaving is no surprise, it's been known since the start of this season that it was his last with Barcelona. Same goes for Luis Enrique.
    Kluivert, well we all know they've been trying to offload that massive financial drain for ages.

Cocu is pretty old now, and with Xavi, Thiaggo Motta and hopefully Edgar Davids, he's become surplus to requirements. He was slotting back into defence but Oleguer has done fantastically this season and so there's no space there either.
    Rezieger has already been replaced. Belletti, is to be signed from Villareal and they are planning on signing the left back from Real Socidead too iirc.

Overmars has never really gotten his game, and with Luis Garcia playing a stormer last season he's not needed really. Quaresma and Gabri are still there and young Iniesta. So the squad still has depth.

I hope they try and sign Joaquin from Betis. Laporta wants more Spaniards at the club. The plan is to make 3 big signings. I don't think this includes trying to secure Davids and van Bronckhorst.

Originally posted by smiaras
    Eh didn't they bring in marquez, van bronkhorst and recber last summer also???
    I could be completely wrong but I remember the Barca president saying after the season had started that themanager would have about £60mil to spend. The players mentioned above were signed before he said this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

arsenal and liverpool no doubt will be scrambling to sign one of these players.

celtic could go for kluivert if the price is right. with larsson gone kluivert would be the big name the fans would want. if rivaldo came to celtic perhaps kluivert could be persuaded.

maybe thats just too hopeful.

Originally posted by smemon
    celtic could go for kluivert if the price is right. with larsson gone kluivert would be the big name the fans would want. if rivaldo came to celtic perhaps kluivert could be persuaded.
    I'd prefer Amoroso TBH. Younger, Cheaper and a better player. He's going on tour to America with Celtic in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Kluivert signed an agreement with Arsenal at the start of the year stating that he wouldn't sign for another Premiership club this year - Chelsea had been offering him a contract at the time. He had been led to believe that he would sign for Arsenal after Euro 2004, the contract had been agreed and his wife had picked out the house to buy. Since then Arsenal signed Reyes and have approached PSV regarding Kezman and have ignored Kluivert. He's feeling more than a bit unloved at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Can we have less of your unsubstantiated rumours, unless you want to post up hard sources. I couldnt give a toss if you "predicted" Ronaldinhos transfer last year, it hardly took a genius he was going to choose Barcelona over sunny Manchester. You'd wonder why no Brazilian had ever went there before? Surely someone as "connected" as yourself to the soccer world, would rather be doing something worth while rather than inflating their own self sense of importance trolling an Irish soccer board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

thats a bit harsh jivin. Bannor in fairness was predicting Houllier's dismissal a week before it became obvious. Also last year the papers were full of rubbious about how much ronaldinho loved Man U. Its just transfer talk. Why are you getting so wound up?

I'd like to see Kluivert come to Arsenal myself. Thats on condition though that he ups his work attitude. He strike me at times to be a lazy player but with very good skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

JivinTurkey, leave it up to the mods to decide who is trolling or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    Can we have less of your unsubstantiated rumours, unless you want to post up hard sources. I couldnt give a toss if you "predicted" Ronaldinhos transfer last year, it hardly took a genius he was going to choose Barcelona over sunny Manchester. You'd wonder why no Brazilian had ever went there before? Surely someone as "connected" as yourself to the soccer world, would rather be doing something worth while rather than inflating their own self sense of importance trolling an Irish soccer board.

Maybe we need a 'Bannor's transfer rumours thread' and ask him to post everything there. ;)

For Stem and Jivin Turkey:
    19-05-04
    Queiroz will be leaving Madrid next Monday/Tuesday, Camacho (the Benfica coach) has agreed to replace him.

Walter Samuel will sign for Real Madrid tomorrow if Camacho gives the deal his blessing - kind of funny really seeing as Queiroz had previously negotiated a deal for the player only for Perez to veto it.
    21-05-2004
    HOULLIER IS GONE! There'll be an official announcement by the club next week.
    21-05-2004
    Camacho has signed as Real Madrid's new manager - press conference on Monday.

I'd believe what I read in bannor's posts before anything I read in the tabloids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Don't mind the begrudgers Bannor. Keep up the great work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    For Stem and Jivin Turkey:

I'd believe what I read in bannor's posts before anything I read in the tabloids.

Did you not see the wink after my post eirebhoy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Arsene has said he isnt planning to sign anyone but things can change depending on whether anyone impresses him at euro 2004. i very much doubt he will sign anyone unless a young cheap player

Dont think Kluivert will go to Arsenal, massive salary issue and a possible clash of personalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Kluivert is a lazy f*cker, and thinks he's worthy of a £100k per week salary. I'd hate to see him at Arsenal. I can't see how he'd fit in with the regular work ethic there. I'm surprised at Barca letting Cocu go - he's held down a place in the first team consistently for the last 6 years, and his performance doesn't seem to have dropped off. Maybe he's a particularly high earner that they want to get off the wage bill, but I don't really know. Perhaps Bannor could fill us in on that one! ;)

Interesting to see Overmars back at Arsenal for Martin Keown's testimonial a couple of weeks ago. His old jersey has just been freed up again by the departure of Sylvain Wiltord. I wonder...

Nah, it'd never happen. We have too many wingers already. Ljungberg, van Persie, Pires, even Reyes if Wenger needed to push him out to the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Jivin Turkey
    Can we have less of your unsubstantiated rumours, unless you want to post up hard sources.

In fairness, Bannor is generally eerily close to the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by Bannor
    Kluivert signed an agreement with Arsenal at the start of the year stating that he wouldn't sign for another Premiership club this year - Chelsea had been offering him a contract at the time. He had been led to believe that he would sign for Arsenal after Euro 2004, the contract had been agreed and his wife had picked out the house to buy.

Right as usual Bannor.

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1137360,00.html

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    Right as usual Bannor.

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1137360,00.html
    Less of the sarcasm please.

LONDON CALLING FOR KLUIVERT (30 May, 2004)
    Dutch striker Patrick Kluivert has snubbed Middlesbrough's advances and insists that if he moves to England it will be to a top London club.

Boro boss Steve McClaren had hoped the 27-year-old, released by Barcelona last week, would join the Teessiders.

But Kluivert said: "I've no intention of going to Middlesbrough. I will not consider a move to a small club. I want to go to one of the big London teams."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Were Newcastle not in the Frame for Kluivert? It appears he wants to move to the bright lights of London but I dont think the Gunners have the finances to get him and even if they do I'm not that sure they would be all that interested. That leaves Chelski as the only other London club likely to meet his terms but I don,t think he would improve on what they have already. My feeling is if he wants to move to the Premiership he may have to pack his thermals and head north. Time will tell.

Newcastle were never really in the picture. Kluivert's wife is his agent and he goes only where she wants to go. :D

He had been talking to Arsenal on and off for years. Last year he came close to joining Arsenal for a small fee (£2M), his wife vetoed the deal and told him that if he wanted to move to London he would get a divorce in the process. Since then Barcelona have told him that he is surplus to requirements and that they won't be able to pay him the salary that he deserves so she has come to accept that a move is inevitable. The move to Arsenal was agreed earlier in the year, Chelsea had an offer on the table too but he wanted assurances about first team football which he wasn't getting from them. He accepted the Arsenal offer and signed an agreement saying that he wouldn't sign for another Premiership team. The agreement isn't a pre-contract but Kluivert understood that he would be signing for Arsenal this summer. Since then the club have ignored him and he's starting to think that they only offered him the deal to stop him from going to Chelsea.

Originally posted by Bannor
    Newcastle were never really in the picture. Kluivert's wife is his agent and he goes only where she wants to go. :D

Well if her heart is set on london she may have to settle for Crystal Palace.;)

Bannor Is there any truth in the Ronaldinho to Chelski for 60M story?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really can't see Ronnie leaving.
    His reasons for joining Barca over Man Utd were that he liked the culture, the language, and the weather.
    I can't see him overcoming that to play for Chelsea :)
    He even said Utd was his dream move so I really doubt thats gona happen

Originally posted by PHB
    I really can't see Ronnie leaving.
    His reasons for joining Barca over Man Utd were that he liked the culture, the language, and the weather.
    I can't see him overcoming that to play for Chelsea :)
    He even said Utd was his dream move so I really doubt thats gona happen

I thought he went to Barca because they offered him more money tnan united did. If that is his motivation I doubt very much he would turn down a second big pay day in 12 months to move to chelsea. The rumourI have heard is that the deal between the two clubs has been finalised for a while now and all that remains to be sorted is his personal terms. Chelsea may wait until Mouninho takes over before announcing the deal.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Bannor Is there any truth in the Ronaldinho to Chelski for 60M story?
    Some truth - Tansfer Rumours and Signings (Page 4)
    Chelsea have made an offer of €70M to Barcelona for Ronaldinho.
    Chelsea (or rather Abramovich's agents) have offered Ronaldinho £6M to sign for the club and a base salary of £6M. Ronaldinho has a clause in his contract that says he can talk to any club that makes a ridiculous offer of something like €110M.

Ronaldinho maintains that he is happy at the club and doesn't want to move - His agent (his brother) has other ideas, he has tried to engineer a move to Real for €120M with one of the presidential candidates for the Real Madrid elections. That isn't likely to happen so now he's being touting the player to Chelsea.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kaids
    BARCA ADMIT TO BLUES' RONNIE BID
    Some interesting stuff in that article... La Porta and Rosell are both going to Brazil, but it's not to sort things out with Ronaldinho well not directly anyway. They're looking to sign up a crop of young Brazilians.

Talks are at an advanced stage for Sao Paolo's striker Luis Fabiano who's a goal machine. I've been told that there are two other players on the shopping list while in Brazil but haven't been given the names yet.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I thought he went to Barca because they offered him more money tnan united did. If that is his motivation I doubt very much he would turn down a second big pay day in 12 months to move to chelsea. The rumourI have heard is that the deal between the two clubs has been finalised for a while now and all that remains to be sorted is his personal terms. Chelsea may wait until Mouninho takes over before announcing the deal.
    Ronaldinho would have joined Man Utd if the club had agreed to pay the €15M asking price first day instead of haggling and offering €10-12M. When La Porta got his foot in the door at Barcelona he went after Ronaldinho, Beckham was just a ploy to get elected.

Man Utd (Kenyon and Ferguson) were negotiating with the player's agent (his brother) while Barcelona were talking to PSG and agreeing a fee. His brother was making ridiculous demands (such as a personal helicopter and pilot to fly it) to which Kenyon and Ferguson were agreeing. They were hoping to agree a contract with the agent and then force PSG to accept their offer (Chelsea conduct their transfers in the same fashion currently - no prizes for spotting the common factor), that's why the PSG president came out with the comments that Man Utd could negotiate with whoever they wanted but the player would only be sold to the club who PSG wanted to sell him to. Barcelona officials met with PSG agreed a fee and then spoke with Ronaldinho directly (his brother has a reputation for being a bit of a head case allegedly).

It would have come down to a straight choice between the two clubs if Man Utd put up the money. Kenyon made an offer over the phone of a higher fee than that accepted from Barcelona several times (€19M,€22M,€25M,€27M,€29M,€30+M), then when asked to fax through the offer officially it would be substantially less (usually €12-14M). PSG didn't mind too much because whenever they received an offer from Kenyon they would let Barcelona know and La Porta would match it. Kenyon was playing the press and the fans by publically setting a deadline for PSG to accept the final offer of the club. The offer was reported to be in excess of €30M but in actual fact the club only faxed through an offer of €15M which had been the asking price several weeks before. And to top it all - Kenyon knew that the negotiation of the player's transfer to Barcelona had been completed before he issued the ultimatum.

Thanks Bannor the point I was making was that there are worrying similarities with Ronnie and Anelka where transfers are concerned. and If he gets the chance of another big pay day I think he'll take it wether Barca want to sell or not.

I read that version of events before, It was a shambles from start to finish from uniteds point of view, but with PSG keeping Barca informed on bids it was not really a level pitch. I wonder will Kenyon mess up again if ronnie chooses to move to Chelsea , some how I doubt it.

Advertisement