Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector Question

Options
  • 25-05-2004 6:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to buy a projector to hook up to my PC so I can watch DVD's and TV on a screen (which I also plan to get!).
    I assume that the lower quality projectors would only be decent for slides and stuff like that, so what price would I be looking at for a good quality one? (with a remote too..:D)

Any recommended models?

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Panasonic AE500 or Sanyo Z2 are probably the lowest Spec worth considering at this point. Komplett do the AE500 for eur1720.

Sony HS20 is probably at the top of the LCD projection food chain at around eur2300 plus delivery from the UK.

After LCDs there are DLP projectors starting with the Infocus X1 for 1200, buts it quite a low res projector prices increase steeply for DLPs after this price point.

You should take into consideration that Home Cinema projectors are meant to be used in a light controlled room and even a little ambient light can make the picture look very poor. As for watching TV, pushing a TV image especially SKY Digital to Projection screen size of 6 feet and beyond can shown up the poor quality of broadcast material.

A decent screen is a must, but you can make a fixed screen for small money to get you started and buy if you feel the need later.

A couple of good places to do your research on projectors are

www.avforums.com
    and
    www.avsforums.com

There are couple of well known projector nutz hanging out around boards from avfoums, Kramer, theritz, calibos to name but a few.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭515

I have an LG RD-JT30 and would recommend it.

It's TINY and looks fantastic.

XGA resolution
    1400 Lumens

Only issues is that it doesn't have onboard sound, so you'll need external speakers... and there aren't that many connections available at the back...

If that doesn't bother you I'd recommend this one. Available on Komplett for about 1750.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

thanks for all that help,
    As far as screen size goes, it wouldnt be that big, the room I'd be using it for is small, so the distance between projector and screen wouldnt be that much.

The way the prices are looking, I'd almost be better getting a decent sized flat screen TV for the same amount (or less!). It was just something I was thinking about, and would be handy to use the PCs DVD player (I suppose I still can with a normal TV, its just a pain in the ass.)

Anyway, thanks again

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Im thinking of buying the Epson EMP-TW10. Epson EMP-TW10

you can buy it for about 800 sterling here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭515

For anyone interested in a projector, I'd recommend having a look at projectorcentral.com It gives reviews and technical specifications for most projectors out there. It can even calculate the throw distance for you so that you can see how big an image you could get in the location you have in mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement