Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Hip-Hop concerts have you been to

• 25-05-2004 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Just thought I would start this one, new to this MB and I am seeing if we have any true B-Boys out there (not just new-skool)

I shall list a few of mine:
    Eminem,
    D12,
    Public Enemy,
    EPMD,
    Eric-B Rakim,
    Master-Ace,
    Blade,
    Gunshot,
    Cypress hill,
    House of Pain,
    The Beasties.

To Name but a few.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

DJ Shadow - Ambassador
    Grandmaster Flash - Redbox
    Blackalicious - Redbox
    Aesop Rock / EL-P / RJD2 - Redbox
    GZA - Redbox

I've missed so many gigs because nobody would go with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 bleh3000

lol, Makaveli, I've the exact same problem. While most of my friends like the likes of 2pac, DMX and Eminem, if I mention even the likes of GZA or Aceyalone, they don't have a clue who I'm on about!

So the only rap concert I've ever gone to is the Eminem one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Dalek, Blackalicious (3 times), Grandmaster Flash, Q-Bert, Roni Size (2), RJD2, Boom Bip (2), Mr. Scruff (4), Bonobo, cLOUDDEAD, Aesop Rock, Jurassic 5 (2), Ugly Duckling, DJ Food... etc. etc. theres a fair few others that I can't recall right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

J 5, the roots (at witnness), blackalicious twice, aesop rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Originally posted by Makaveli
    DJ Shadow - Ambassador
    Grandmaster Flash - Redbox
    Blackalicious - Redbox
    Aesop Rock / EL-P / RJD2 - Redbox
    GZA - Redbox

I've missed so many gigs because nobody would go with me.

Go alone then. Stand alone for your cause my son - walk with your head held high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

My problem is that I live in Cork and have no job :( I really wanna see nas in London... not sure if it's worth missing the leaving cert for though :ninja:

I went to Em in Punchestown. That's what we call a bad experience.

Originally posted by ][cEMAN**
    Go alone then. Stand alone for your cause my son - walk with your head held high.

I have. Do you have any idea how crap it is being there by yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I have too, usually I've had fun (not just Hip Hop shows that is, all types of shows I've gone too when no one else would go with me)
    It really all depends on wheter the crowds good or not.

Off the top of my head, J5, Aesop & C Rayz, Messiah J, Streets & the Roots (at Witness), Roots Manuva, Xzibit, Eminem, Grandmaster Flash.

The best..either Aesop or the Roots.

We should make a boards rap concert club where we all get in a tourbus and wear super cool tshirts and go together...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

I've been to see:

Eminem
    50 Cent
    Obie Trice
    Fabulous
    Xzibit
    Cypress Hill
    D12
    G-Unit

Does any1 know when the next big rap concert is? eg eminem? i heard there's supposed to be one in sept but it could just be england?

• Advertisement

Depends what you mean by big really. Venue wise? Artist wise?
    DMX is coming to the Ambassador, I suppose that could be considered big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

Let's see...

Anti Pop Consortium (4)
    Sage Francis
    Sole
    Themselves
    Blackalicious
    Mr Scruff (2)
    Pest
    Aesop Rock / C-Rayz Walz
    El-P / Murs
    Kool Keith w/ Kutmaster Kurt
    The Roots

Fair few missing there. Would really like to see the beasties though.

Anybody go to Dilated Peoples on Tuesday?
    That was a good concert, the crowd got really hyped up so the atmosphere was great.
    Crawdaddy's not bad, a bit small and hot as hell, but you're right on top of the stage if you get to the front. And the stage level is only about 3 or 4 feet above the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ABE

only been to 50cent in belfast

goina try adn get to the dmx concert should be class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭In_Diana_Jones

Originally posted by Kold
    My problem is that I live in Cork and have no job :( I really wanna see nas in London... not sure if it's worth missing the leaving cert for though :ninja:

I went to Em in Punchestown. That's what we call a bad experience.

Nas? Into anti-white racism I take it then?

Well done you!

What makes Nas anti-white exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭In_Diana_Jones

They lyrics in the vast majority of his songs, along with some interviews i've read where he says he'd prefer to starve than have white people buy his music. not much then!

;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Since when did Nas say racist stuff? I think your mixing up the "id rather starve" line with Lauryn Hill,who was rumoured to have claimed in an unbroadcast interview that she would rather see her kids starve than have whites buy her album(you may recall Eminem taking the mick back on the slim shady lp with the line "women all grabbin on my shish keb-ab,bought Lauryn Hills tape so her kids would starve" back in the days when he was more confrontontational and witty,and didnt rely on talking purely about guns). He even let Eminem do production on his album,and if i recall correctly he bigs up Lyor Cohen,Tommy Mottola(who Michael Jackson once accused of racism) and several other white execs on Nastradamus(thats actually the only Nas album i bought legit-i found a deadly site ages ago where i downloaded the rest of them but the sites closed........its funny,in that 1999 Nastradamus album liner notes he also shouts out some guy nobody ever heard of called 50 Cent. Its always funny readin old album liner notes and finding future big names among the dozens nobody ever got to hear) He even claimed it was some white childhood friend who introduced him to smoking dope
    Nas does lyrics where he says he is proud to be black. Im proud to be Irish-it doesnt mean I have to hate the English,or hate any foreigners for being foreign.
    Loads of rappers have been accused of racism. If I tell a racist joke does that make me a racist? Fcuk no. Its almost as bad as The Source and its Eminems racist tapes sh1te. The only people who cared about them tapes was embittered death row figures,Benzino and Joe Budden(I like Budden,and even he admitted he likes Eminem as an artist,tbh i think he was more arsed with making a friend of the G Unit look bad than anything else). Dead Prez and Ice Cube are nearly the only artists who could be accused of overt racism,and some of the wu tang have treaded thin ice occasionally. But i think Ice Cubes got over that now anyway(twas most probably down to that white lad ripping off NWA)

"Yo, there's Asia, Africa, Europe, France, Japan
    Pakistan, America, Afghanstan
    Yo, there's Protestants, Jews, Blacks, Arabics
    Call a truce, world peace, stop actin like savages
    No war, we should take time and think
    The bombs and tanks makes mankind extinct
    But since the beginning of time it's been men with arms fightin
    Lost lives in the Towers and Pentagon, why then?
    Must it go on, we must stop the killin
    Tell me why we die, we all God's children" from Rule

"Too many lives diminishing
    Nobody say Protestants, Jews, Blacks, and Whites, Latino's and Asians
    Pray together
    Less fight
    We better unite " from that September 11th tribute song all those people got in on

Aye,lookin at those lyrics,yer a big racist kunt Nas :rolleyes:

Back on topic,Ive seen the wu tang clan,Goldie Lookin Chain and Black Eyed Peas(im scraping the barrel now). GLC were very good live.
    Yes you guessed it,first live rap I saw was at Oxegen. But of my mates that are into rap at all(which isnt many,most of mine are biggest into dance or rock/indie type stuff)most of them are rather mainstream,and wouldnt be arsed going to something if Eminem,Snoop,Dre,Nelly or 50 Cent wasnt going to make an appearence. Of the artists people have mentioned here,the only ones i could definitely count on my friends being arsed going to are 50/G Unit,Eminem/D12,Cypress Hill(ive a metal mate mad into them,as alot of metal dudes are). People might know the big Nas singles like Made Ya Look and Hate Me Now,but they might only have one album,which makes it a bit useless for them
    So therefore,like poor oul Makaveli,Id be on my own at anybody elses gig.
    Mind you I went alone to the wu tang set and had the time of my life,but i was off my tits at the time:D

Ha you bought Nastradamous, that's got to be his worst album. Well QB's Finest is probably his worst, but as a solo album Nastradamous is pure crap.
    Nas had a terrible spell of churning out crap, everything between Illmatic and Stillmatic is pretty forgetable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

To be fair Nastradamus may be weak, but it's still got more than one good song (Shoot 'em up, God Love Us)...IMHO it's kinda funny cos all these other muppets who 'make it big' slap out an album based on the one 1 single they could afford to be made by the producers of the moment. It's to NaS' credit that we expect more. Majority of his solo work is great - different enough, mature and well delivered. But I just don't buy into the whole 50-Cent way of things.

Can't wait for the new album.

Back to the topic: J5 was the best one I've been to - now they ROCK!

:D

P.S. Has anyone ever travelled to London to see someone like NaS who wasn't stopping by here? Was it as mixed a crowd as you'd find here?

• Advertisement

Crowds aren't very mixed here.
    It's 99% white in attendance.

The majority of Nas' solo work is not great though.

Nastradamous, It Was Written and I Am range from mediocre to crap..
    Stillmatic saw him come back on form and God's Son bettered Stillmatic.

I disagree on both counts.

I've been to plenty a comsmopoliton gigs...in fact they're more like that every year. Plus the ages vary and so do the 'types' of people.

NaS: Personal taste I guess. I know why people don't love his early work, but I still like much much more of his stuff than most other 'big' rappers. There's actually some thought behind his stuff, it doesn't all sound the same and it keeps you interested. Street Disciple should be great...

Maybe we go to different concerts but the ones I've been to the vast majority in attendance are white.
    Age does vary though, you're right there.

It was written is a fantastic album. All of Nas' albums are listenable. People are spouting all sorts of **** since the Jay Z beef but Jay is talking ****. Any of Nas' albums is a great example of untainted hip hop (well... God's Son was a bit whored but still good) whereas... Hard Knock Life anyone?

Word :D

Advertisement