Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United to sign Smith tomorrow ( Sky Sports News )

• 25-05-2004 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭

Man United are said to be signing Alan Smith from Leeds for the sum of 6.5 million sterling subject to a medical , plus Danny Pugh (United signed in 99 and has made 7 first team appearences , mostly from the bench )

Leeds turned down 2 bids of 3.5 million and 5 million recently, but are expected to announce the sale to the stock exchange on wednesday .

Seansouth , I bet u aint too happy :p

What do other United fans think ?

and Leeds fans . Who some will see Smith as Judas for going to United .

Smith himself is ment to be very enthusiasthic about the deal .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

nice option to have for utd although id still put him 3rd choice behind van and saha. smith being the player he is might just be able to play behind those 2 but i dont think fergie would be that attacking.

it will upset leeds fans but who cares really? there in div1 and cant expect to hang onto premiership players. they should take the money and ensure they spend it wisely.

smith will be happy but fergie wont accept any stupid red cards or nonsense. he'll have to be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Seen this comeing for age's smith is to good a player for leeds and division 1 tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I thought he said that for respect for the Leeds fans, he wouldnt join a Premier League side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think he is the most overated english player in the premiership and do not want to see him put on a Utd jersey. It looks like hes coming though so what can i do. I heard Dennis Law saying today that he would fit right in upfront with Van Nistelroy, bullcrap that is we all know that Saha is a MUCH better player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The thing is, with Ole gone and Forlan gone Man Utd are weak up front, and Smith is the type of player who won't be too unhappy not getting his game week in week out yet is still good enough to be a solid replacement :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Can't wait to read about the Smith/Fergie blow-ups in the dressing room lol :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

yeah he is a judas. After being mobbed by the fans on his last match then go to the team that we hate the most and turn his back on leeds is ridiculas. Ill tell you one thing he wont be welcome back. And what the hell are the board at they could get a much better price if they waited a while before selling him. Its not right at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Don't see much about him to be honest, I think he's overrated. He loved kissing the Leeds badge when he scored against United so it'd be interesting to see what he does if he scores for us.

I know a lot of United fans who'll be pissed at us signing him and I'm looking forward to seeing the reception he'll get when he pulls on the shirt for the first time at OT. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by RasTa
    I think he is the most overated english player in the premiership and do not want to see him put on a Utd jersey. It looks like hes coming though so what can i do. I heard Dennis Law saying today that he would fit right in upfront with Van Nistelroy, bullcrap that is we all know that Saha is a MUCH better player

We all knjow Saha is a much better player , bnut i think he's not just better than Smith but better than Nistelrooy .

And to think a lot of people said he cost too much .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Big Ears
    We all knjow Saha is a much better player , bnut i think he's not just better than Smith but better than Nistelrooy .
    I wouldn't go that far. RVN may not do as much work as other strikers but he knows where to be at the right time and his goal scoring record speaks for itself.

• Advertisement

And to think a lot of people said he cost too much .

We'll see over the next few seasons whether that's true. This is Saha's first really good season so he needs to start scoring 20+ consistently and then we'll see.

I've seen him play live a few times this season though and he does look exciting - would love to see him and RVN strike a proper partnership next season if they can both get fully fit.

Originally posted by SteM
    would love to see him and RVN strike a proper partnership next season if they can both get fully fit.

Realy ? , I wouldnt .

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I wouldn't go that far. RVN may not do as much work as other strikers but he knows where to be at the right time and his goal scoring record speaks for itself.

I feel any decent stiker would score a lot of Goals at United . Their midfield is a very creative one , and I think a decent striker like Beatie would score more than Nistelrooy . Saha will be man Uniteds too scoring next season once he dosent get injured severly .

Realy ? , I wouldnt .

:confused:

Yes, realy.

'Saha will be Uniteds top scorer next season', 'Beattie would score more than RVN at United'.

Don't understand what you have against RVN. These are strange comments against a man who has scored bags full of goals for United since he joined. He was a bit off last season for whatever reason and was still Uniteds top scorer. You don't seem to rate him very highly though?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

I feel any decent stiker would score a lot of Goals at United .

Hmmm, just like Forlan has done eh? Hes supposedly a "decent" striker and hasnt exactly delivered the goods in his time at United. To try and argue that VN isnt one of the very best strikers in the world at the moment seems rather silly to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

It feels srange, Smith is a good player but he is a Leeds player. Cantona left Leeds for superstardom and Irwin started at Leeds so maybe he will be the next big thing.

I feel any decent stiker would score a lot of Goals at United.
    He scored 60 goals in 57 games for PSV.

Originally posted by Devious
    Hmmm, just like Forlan has done eh? Hes supposedly a "decent" striker and hasnt exactly delivered the goods in his time at United. To try and argue that VN isnt one of the very best strikers in the world at the moment seems rather silly to me.

Ah but Forlan isnt a decent striker in my opinion ( premiership wise , he just hasnt gelled to the league ) .

I just feel the man united midfielders deserve more credit than they get for how many goals Nistelrooy scores , because I think at any club other than United , Chelsea Arsenal I think he would stuggle to score more than 16 league goals a season .

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    He scored 60 goals in 57 games for PSV.

I think there are a good few premiership strikers could achieve a record like that in for PSV / Feyenoord / Ajax in Holland .

He was the CL top scorer in 2002 with 10 goals and in 2003 with 12. I would rate Milan's midfield last season better than United's but Inzaghi only got 10 goals and Milan won the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by smiaras
    Smith trasfer confirmed btw.
    Yeah, £7mil. I'd say that will be the first of many signings for United during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

from bbc.co.uk
    The 23-year-old, a life-long Leeds fan, would have been due a cut of his old club's fee because he never asked for a transfer, but he has waived this.

Leeds will receive £6m immediately with the other £1m reflected in the club's savings after Smith waived his fee, and "other associated considerations".

Fair play to him for waiving his fee like that. There's lots of players that talk about loving a club but when it comes down to it they'll take the money and run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Fair play to him for waiving his fee like that. There's lots of players that talk about loving a club but when it comes down to it they'll take the money and run.

Not much consolation, if I were a Leeds fans I'd still be mightily pissed off that he has joined Moan Utd

I'm still amazed he's gone there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

You can be guaranteed the Leeds fans will be burning their Smith jerseys now. I know my mate will burn his. So I'm going to get him a Man Utd Smith jersey instead. He will find it hilarious ! :D Pure evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Lets look at the other clubs Smith had to choice from.

Middlesbro-UEFA Cup football from Carling Cup but are a mid-table team.

Everton-Did well in David Moyes first season but was in a relagation dog fight all season. No European football.

Birmingham- Did very well this season and was unlucky to miss out on Europe.

Newcastle-Poor up and down season. Missed important players at an important time of the season and just managed to get into the UEFA Cup.

Man United- many say they have had a bad season but finshed as FA Cup champions with Champions League Football next season.

And people are wondering why Smith picked Man United?? No disrespect to the other clubs but United can offer so much more then from the other clubs!.
    I think its a good more cause United got him so cheap and i dont belive he is worth more then that. i hope he proves to be a good buy. But my first choice would be RVN and Saha.

Why does he get his game for Holland ahead of others? Beattie can't get his game for Engalnd but by your logic he'd walk into the Dutch squad.

Smith trasfer confirmed btw. IMO this means we've seen the last of at least Forland but possibly Solkjaer as well. Good signing, done well to get into contention for Euro 04 with a relegation team, just needs to take some anger management classes :D

u know Pierre Van Hoojidonk was named in the Dutch squad for Euro 2004 .

and Dewey there is one thing the other clubs can offer Smith that United cant , First Team Football .

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

quote:
    Originally posted by Harry2001
    Not much consolation, if I were a Leeds fans I'd still be mightily pissed off that he has joined Moan Utd

I am a Leeds fan and I am mightily pissed off. Smith is a local lad, he knows what it means to Leeds fans to see one of their favourites go to that lot in red, and yet he still does it. Only one word suffices in this instance - JUDAS!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If you put aside the petty rivalry for a moment you might realise that he has a career to think about. None of the other suitors could offer Smith the same prospects as Man United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

yeah but Smith played up to the galleries, kissing the badge an such like. He falsely portrayed himself as someone who was a leeds fan. Not really surprised though, most players are mercenaries nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by vorbis
    Not really surprised though, most players are mercenaries nowadays.

I understand that smith had to go. As he said, he's not a first division player. I also understand that he has to think of his international career, he is only 23 after all. I also understand that the best chance of him getting into the england squad is with man utd, but only if he gets his game.

I dont begrudge the lad, he's given his all for the club and if i met him on the street i'd shake his hand and thank him. I reckon as far as he's concerned that because he's given his all for the club for so long that fans should understand and respect his decision. Its a decision based on his future and his career rather than a leeds player / fan and because of that i respect it. It's not like he's out to spite us!

And i do. The best any other club could offer him is uefa cup football. He's not guarenteed CL football tho. And he must know that he has a hard task ahead of him breaking into the first team. Maybe as an attacking midfielder but they'd need a solid (defensive) midfielder to balance it out. I cant see keane playing very many games next season. Early days yet tho. enough ranting.

still tho, i cant seem to get my head around the fact that he's gone to utd... :dunno:

...at least my "kelly" jersey is safe for the mo :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

q_ball I'm not a leeds fan. I follow Arsenal. However if a club's star player pretends to deeply care about a club as Smith did, then moving to their bitter rivals is a complete contradiction. as far as i can see he went after the money. Personally i'd thought he'd have done better going to a club like Newcastle where his chances of first team football would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The thing is Man Utd gave him the best options.
    He might not get full first team football this year but he will get a lot of games in the premiership champions league fa cup and league cup, its not like he's going to sit on the bench, fergie has the best squad rotation system around imo.

Newcastle is good, but with Shearer soon moving on who's gona teach him :)

Calling him a Judas really isn't on.
    He is a leeds fan through and through and he is doing what is best for the club.
    He waved his tranfer fee thingy and Man Utd were the club that was going to give them the most money, also they got a quality youngster(Pugh) who will do very well in division one I think.

Deal is pretty good imo

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Don't see much about him to be honest, I think he's overrated. He loved kissing the Leeds badge when he scored against United so it'd be interesting to see what he does if he scores for us.

I know a lot of United fans who'll be pissed at us signing him and I'm looking forward to seeing the reception he'll get when he pulls on the shirt for the first time at OT. :D
    Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by vorbis
    However if a club's star player pretends to deeply care about a club as Smith did, then moving to their bitter rivals is a complete contradiction.

That was a brave decision to make, and he must have known that he was going to be slated for it. But as i said, he didnt do it out of spite. maybe it's time he thought about his career for once.

as far as i can see he went after the money.

He waved a £1m sign on fee and leeds saved about £1.05m from the deal. He isnt a money driven player like so so many in the leeds team.

Personally i'd thought he'd have done better going to a club like Newcastle where his chances of first team football would be better.

I still think utd were the better choice for him. They are a better quality team and he'll learn more there.

I still dont know tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

I know this is slightly off topic but who are United's other rumoured targets. All I've heard thus far is the PSG CB Heinze and the wild Rooney rumour. Bannor got any tips?
    Ferguson is looking for a central defender, a full back, a central midfielder, a creative forward/midfield player and a striker. Kenyon going to Chelsea has scuppered some of the club's moves in the transfer market.

Central defenders :
    Addai (Feyenoord) - trial with Chelsea.
    Litjens (Roda JC) - trial with Chelsea.
    Kompany (Anderlecht) - Offer rejected. Chelsea want him too.
    Ayala (Valencia) - Chelsea made an offer for him. Real and Liverpool also interested.
    Van Buyten (Marseille)
    Heinze (PSG)
    Marquez (Barcelona) - Barcelona won't sell.
    Mexes (Auxerre) - joining Roma.
    Metzelder (Dortmund) - enquiry made. He rejected a move last year but now Dortmund are strapped for cash so he might not have a choice but to leave.
    Woodgate (Newcastle) - rumours that he was being tapped up by his England team mates.

Full backs :
    Belletti (Villareal) - joining Barcelona.
    Del Horno (At. Bilbao) - has a verbal agreement to join Barcelona next year.
    Puyol (Barcelona) - Barcelona won't sell
    Bosschaart (Utrecht) - made an enquiry earlier this year
    Sagnol (Bayern) - made an enquiry earlier this year
    Ze Maria (Perugia)

Central Midfielders :
    Alonso (R.Sociedad) - going to Real Madrid.
    Xavi (Barcelona) - Barcelona said no.
    Davids (Barcelona) - in the bag. He said no to Barcelona yesterday.
    Van Bommel (PSV) - Spurs have made an offer.

Creative midfielder/forward :
    Robben (PSV) - was a done deal until Chelsea offered more money.
    Joaquin (R. Betis) - has an agreement with Real. Chelsea have made an offer too.
    Meghni (Bologna) - has an offer from Marseille.
    Vicente (Valencia) - has an agreement with Real.
    Van Der Vaart (Ajax) - has an agreement with Liverpool. Ferguson has made enquiries through an agent and asked Houllier about the deal.
    Quaresma (Barcelona) - Barcelona won't sell.
    Rosicky (Dortmund) - looking for a move to Liverpool

Strikers :
    Corradi (Lazio)
    Kapo (Auxerre) - joining Juventus.
    Kezman (PSV)
    Torres (At. Madrid) - has had several offers refused including an exchange deal with Forlan last week. Barcelona have offered Riquelme and Kluivert in an exchange deal also but Atletico want cash and are trying to get Chelsea interested.

Man Utd can't stand toe to toe with Chelsea in the transfer market so I would expect them to wait for Chelsea to make a few big moves before going for players. Chelsea have thrown offers to whoever is flavour of the month : Samuel, Ayala, Lucio, Carlos, Figo, Robben, Joaquin, Vicente, Trezeguet, Kluivert, Morientes, Ronaldo etc. but it's getting to the stage where players are wary of joining them if they want first team football. Lucio said no, as did Samuel for example.

Ferguson is going to have to be alot more shrewd than previously and by the looks of the way the club have been conducting things with Davids they've learned their lesson from the Robben transfer. Wouldn't be surprised to see some 11th hour attempted hijackings of other club's transfers like Kewell to Liverpool last season.

Advertisement