Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owen Holds Out on the Contract....

• 25-05-2004 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

From bbc

Manager key to Owen deal

Michael Owen is keen to find out the identity of Liverpool's new boss before he agrees to a new Anfield contract.

The striker says he was left with a "sick feeling in his stomach" at the news of Gerard Houllier's departure after six years in charge of the club.

"The chairman is saying it may take a while to appoint a new manager so I will just sit tight," said Owen.

"I can't put a percentage chance on me staying, but I'm not trying to strangle every last penny out of everyone."

Owen went on: "I am as loyal a person as anyone could wish to meet.

"Hopefully we can improve because we do need to, to make that step and be one of the best," added the England forward.

"I am intrigued to see who the manager is, but also the whole package.

"I would love to see improvement in the squad and I would love to see a good manager come in.

"Obviously the new stadium is being built, which is right for the club. It sounds like I am holding everyone to ransom but I am not. I just want to be playing in a top team."

Houllier officially parted company with Liverpool on Monday.

Celtic's Martin O'Neill, Valencia's Rafael Benitez, Porto's Jose Mourinho and Charlton's Alan Curbishley are believed to be the frontrunners for the vacancy.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

disgraceful...

a player the claims to be loyal to the club, and wont sign a new contact?? - just because he wants a manager which will suit his needs... the wee bollox should go and **** himself. if he wants to leave the club - he could sign a new contact, let the club sell him - for a profit and less of the messing around - which could upset other players i.e Gerrard, Kewell etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yes, an employee who want to wait and see who his next boss will be, the bastard!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It doesn't really matter who the next boss is. All he has to do is sign a contract, if he's unhappy put in a transfer request an the club can sell him. If he leaves the club on a bosman he will turn from one of the most loved Liverpool players to one of the most hated. It's not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I dont think we should lambast Owen just yet!

He is sitting on the fence along with his agent in the hope of getting the best possible deal. As he says himself, he doesn't want to milk Liverpool FC and he does want to play for the club but he also wants the club to be succesful.

He was very happy with the Thai deal in that it would bring in money and give him a chance to get more of a salary for a 5-year contract but also that it would make Liverpool more succesful. Michael is still a young chap and he knows he could probably command a higher salary in Italy/Spain than he does at Liverpool. He would be very careful about moving to another english club, which could only be an Arsenal or a Chelsea. I dont think he would play for Man U at this stage of his career.

I think its only fair that he waits to find out who the new manager will be, the level of money available with whatever investment comes through and the plans for the club in general in terms of the spending on the new ground. He has euro 2004 to deal with first and after that the dealing will be done.

I dont blame players for going on a "bosman". Larsson is doing it and is still revered as a god in Glasgow (one-half!) and in general its a once in a lifetime opportunity. If Michael gets say ukp 20m out of a transfer and a salary of ukp 1m a year or more, then why shouldn't he? He would stay with Liverpool for a lot lot less if they were challenging for the CL and Premiership but at the moment they aren't.

Does anyone know what salary Michael is on now?
    And what salary he is expecting to move to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

good example of this is sol campbell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by redspider
    Des anyone know what salary Michael is on now and what salary he is expecting to move to?

they say - its around 60,000.. (english pounds)

<and his contacts up in a years time>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I think Owen is more concerned with who the manager will be from a tactical point of view, because he must be sick & tired of with the way Liverpool have been playing in the last couple of years - long balls up to him all the time and no proper service and this is reflected in his goal scoring tally. I don't think money is a factor, as he's already stated. I don't blame him for waiting tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Owen will either sign a new contract or be sold after the European Championships. Both the club and Owen have agreed that, there is no question of him leaving on a Bosman next summer.

Also it would make no sense, to either the club or Owen to sign a new contract prior to the appointment of the new manager. And if he signed now, it would make it seem like he was waiting for GH to get sacked before signing - which might be true, but cannot be seen to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

He's got every right to wait it out and see what happens. It's also a nice chance to place a bit of pressure on the Liverpool board to act decisively for the sake of the club.

Ultimately, I think he will stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

For the sake of his career I think Owen needs a new challenge, he has become stale at Liverpool.

But I can't see him leaving to be honest

• Advertisement
Advertisement