Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

D-Generate's actually talking about Q5 1990, where one sphere is dropped onto another, the line of centres making an angle of 45 degrees with the vertical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Haven't even looked at that question before - keeping it for the 3 days leading up to the applied exam. Looks interesting though...

VERY interesting. The thing I like about hard questions is you always understand the concept better after them, and you have less respect for the less challenging ones as a result.

Actually, we should do up the ultimate bastard of a paper using past questions, just for fun. It'd be good for anyone who hasn't come accross some of the harder ones before. Q5 has to be 1990. Couple more I did recently: Q6 02, Q10 96 (easy once you realise the trick, but it's mean if you don't), Q4 93 (those tensions will get you, worst wedge Q ever). Any other nominations?

Q.1 - 1995/1990
    Q.2 - 1990/1999
    Q.3 - 2001 (B)/1997 (b)
    Q.4 - 1993
    Q.5 - 1990
    Q.8 - 1995/1996
    Q.10 - 1996

That's just after a quick look through the papers - not necessarily the ones that everybody has trouble with, just the ones I struggled on. Apart from Q.10 and Q.5, I've never tried either of those.

• Advertisement

Does anybody know what the story is with drawing diagrams in applied? Like in Question 4, connected particles, if they ask you to draw a set of diagrams showing all the forces on each particle, should you do them on graph paper or just in your answer book? You probably have to do the graphs for question 1 on graph paper, but not too sure about diagrams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I would doubt that you have to do any diagrams on graph paper. They are just representations of whats going on, there is no need for them to be to scale or accurate. Doing question one on graph paper is like doing a trig question using a ruler and protractor. Or I could be horribly wrong

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    Doing question one on graph paper is like doing a trig question using a ruler and protractor. Or I could be horribly wrong

Well I think question 1 all depends on whether they say "sketch". Sketch meaning rough, not to scale - but sometimes they ask you to draw an "accurate graph" so I'd say you'd definetly need graph paper for that.

I wonder if they'd care if I do my Q4 diagrams on graph paper - not to scale or anything, just looks neater. Our teacher mentioned before about doing diagrams/graphs on graph paper... can't remember if it was for maths or applied though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if you have graph paper, use it. But personally i never bother. My graphs are always freehand sketches (i suppose tech helps with that :p)

Advertisement