Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do you study?

Options
  • 25-05-2004 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

I study in or around 4 hours a day, not alot but enough to get the 350 points I need.

How long? 19 votes

1-2 hours
    0% 0 votes
    2-3 hours
    52% 10 votes
    3-4 hours
    26% 5 votes
    4+ hours (please specify)
    21% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

4 hours a day

Dam, I never studied for my leaving cert, how can you study for something you have no interest in what-so-ever.

Now im in college studying comp sci, loving it.

The leaving cert is the worst system in the world.....next to the chinese system.

Thanks JoePC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Ah but I do have interest in what I study (maybe except Irish), that's why I chose those subjects, but I like them and have an interest in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Haven't done much up until now as far as revision goes. Maybe a few hours here and there over the past couple of weeks. That all changed today with my new, drastic, 10 hours a day plan for the next 13 days. About 17 hours per subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Well, on a good day, I'm woken at 9am. Get a cup of coffee and go back up to bed. Start studying at about 10am, steady until ~2pm when hunger knocks.

Then, I head into supervised study in School from 4.30-8.30 or 5-9.

Other days, bad days, I'm woken at 9, go back to sleep til 12 and go into study at 4.30 or 5, depending on the day.
    Saturdays, I've maths grind so I dont go to supervised study, or generally dont do any at home - but that's got to change. Grinds are ending this Saturday.

Sundays, I go into study from 2-6.

I was thinking of doing that, but 10 hours is too much, I'll probably do 6 hours/day for the next two weeks. 12 hours/subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'm finding it very hard to study at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    10 hours a day plan for the next 13 days. About 17 hours per subject.

:eek:

I don't think I did 17 hours study for all 7 subject combined!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

I said 3-4 but it all depends on what subjects I do. I could study Classical Studies for 4 alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    10 hours a day plan for the next 13 days. About 17 hours per subject.

I'm sure :)

Im not really sure how long I usually study for. I mostly just pick about two questions from two or three subjects and do them, don't think about time really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

I find it impossible to study. I have an extremly short attention span. I could be in my room studying and i'll turn my head and it will be like "oh look a toy" and i'll have to play with, or take it apart. I do a couple of hours a day before I go completly nuts. Im just enjoying life too much at the mo to bother. It fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by stuey
    I find it impossible to study. I have an extremly short attention span. I could be in my room studying and i'll turn my head and it will be like "oh look a toy" and i'll have to play with, or take it apart. I do a couple of hours a day before I go completly nuts. Im just enjoying life too much at the mo to bother. It fantastic

I was exactly the same was (minus the fantastic life part), and I found that getting rid of my computer, tv, radio, and pretty much all the junk I have around my desk, just helps concentration. If your school allows you back in to do study before the exams (supervised or otherwise) I'd give it a go: as long as you're in a group of people who are fairly eager to succeed and study well, then you'll probably be motivated to study too. Or they'll just kick the ****e outta you for being distracting. Either way, it'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Originally posted by AndrewWK
    I'm sure :)
    I know it's ambitious. Two days ago I honestly thought there was no hope for me. I'd sit down in front of a book, and I'll still be pondering away about nothing half an hour later, on the same page. It was the most frustrating thing, I've been on a constant guilt trip for the past 2 weeks. Then I was talking to one of the lads yesterday who said he did a schedule for 9 hours a day. So, naturally, I did out my own for 10, and, staggeringly enough, it's working. 8 hours done, I'll do 2 later. I'm stunned at the difference a simple timetable makes. Could be one to try if you're stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

ah jaysus I couldn't get rid of the PC thats taking it to the next level. I'm just havin such a good time at the mo that I dont want anything to ruin it. Nothin has been able to get me down. I scrathed my lovely watch after a bunch of guys of school jumped on me and i'll probably have to spend 40 euro replacing the face of it, and it doesn't bother me at all. I dont know what I have done to deserve this feeling but im bloody delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I was doing more after school when it was on than I am now in the whole day. It's very hard to motivate yourself. I just want to get it over with now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I saw this topic from the main page and decided to have a look.
    Explain why ur poll dosnet have a option for 0 hours.

Because everyone should study? :D I just forgot to put it in, If any mods can edit it, please add a "I don't study" option. Ta.

Or an "I'm not doin nah ****in Leavin'' option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 nebomb

8am-10pm, Im hardcore. Youre all going to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Nerd:p

Holy wow, are you serious!? 14 hours is amazing.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by conZ
    Or an "I'm not doin nah ****in Leavin'' option.
    Then what are you doing on this forum then?

It's meant to be for people like AndrewWK and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Originally posted by nebomb
    8am-10pm, Im hardcore. Youre all going to fail.

We cannot see the future for all u know you may die tomorrow or have a breakdown during ur leaving and then you will have lost.

Originally posted by conZ
    It's meant to be for people like AndrewWK and the likes.

lol?

anyone find that they can't study without music on or am I the only one?

Yeah, music all the time. Usually radio though, which is even more distracting. Tom Dunnes Pet Sounds usually, which has fecked up my study this week since there's a new guy presenting. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I was doing 8 hours a day for the past three weeks but by this point, I'm so ****ing bored with studying I'm getting about two hours done before I just fall asleep or watch TV or something like that.

8 hours a day for three weeks is madness. I can barely get 6 done for the past 3 days. Supposed to be doing 8. Problem is, after I get to about 4-5, I'm readin/writing the stuff, but I'm not remembering it. If I change a page, I wont even remember what's on the previous page, which seems a bit futile really. Gotta do some serious work on English paper one and two, Maths paper one (especially any proofs that come up. And that feckin implicit differentiation. Thinking I might do question 5 instead of 6/7 (honours), seems to be a bit easier). Plus my eyes are vibrating, which is a tiny bit annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

What wrong with implicity differentiation it's jsut pratice. I was doing 8 hours a day for a good month before the exam, 5 hours a good 2 months pior and about 3 hours pior to that. You can't work for longer hten an hour at one go, and maths is best done in the morning.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Boston
    What wrong with implicity differentiation it's jsut pratice.

Just never really understood it, apparently it's a fairly basic concept, I just get it wrong most of the time. I'm googling it right now, try to get a better explanation of it. Plus I've ran out of maths papers to do... got a bit ahead of myself last week.

Advertisement