Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

arachnophobia

• 25-05-2004 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

I hate having the fear of spiders, I got scared and queezy over a one centimeter house spider, so I got courage to hit it, took alot of courage though. If I was so scared of even the house spider, imagine me in Saharas or Australia when I meet the big boys!! :( :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

pwned....

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

spider-back-full.jpg

cim-spiderman-0002.jpg

bad bastard :)

reduce the size of the pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

ARGH DAMN YOU RABIES!!!

which scawed you more? a spider...or a man who calls himself spider...

• Advertisement

Both :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BobsYourAuntie

I hate those damn things. And know what else I hate? Big red wriggly centipedes.
    The existence of large black spiders and big red wriggly centipedes in the world is proof postive that the forces of evolution or pure fscking evil!!

I'm off to buy some insecticide right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Daddy-Long-Legses are the worst imo. Its the way they move and the noise the fúckers make. I frickin hate the bástards. Although i don't too much fancy a bite off a funnel-web either !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Anything with more than four legs is not natural. What do you need any more for?

Or even worse, creatures with more than four legs and wings. I turn into a complete blouse when anything flies near me. Or crawls near me. Or crawls on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Warning not for the faint hearted

Two camel spiders, somewhere in Afghanistan..

http://tryingtogrok.mu.nu/archives/CamelSpiderssmall.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

We had a fecker on the cealing of the sitting room before, one of the guy hit it with a brush but it just fell to the floor and started advancing on him, he hit it a few more times before the spider retreated, only limping slightly. He pearched himself on the book case beside the stairs then for a few day and made a flair at me one day when i was walking by. by flair I mean he raised his front legs and ran for me. When I describe it to people they say it must have been a funnel web but it did not look like one.

We also had a huntsman in our toilet downstairs in the house, He was only in while it was raining but pissed off after a day or so. I hate spiders but despite the size of the huntsman it did not bother me as they are non venamous. Supposedly the most venemous spider here (oz) is a daddy long legs , its just his teeth ain't strong enough to break your skin.
    Also our house is completly sounounded by St Andrews Cross spiders, but then again every house in the area is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'm sorry i looked at this thread being arachnophobic myself, damn the people with the pics damn em to hell

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    i'm sorry i looked at this thread being arachnophobic myself, damn the people with the pics damn em to hell

he he :p you just had to look though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by fragile
    he he :p you just had to look though

absolutely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Two camel spiders, somewhere in Afghanistan..

CamelSpiderssmall.jpg

Yes, two spiders, about 3/4 inches in size each, held really close to the camera lense with a shot completely rigged to make them look massive for one of the fastest shot down net hoaxes ever...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sleepy
    Yes, two spiders, about 3/4 inches in size each, held really close to the camera lense with a shot completely rigged to make them look massive for one of the fastest shot down net hoaxes ever...:rolleyes:

it had the desired effect though :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Here's something really scary

http://www.srv.net/~dkv/hobospider/poison.html

The Hobo Spider or Tegenaria Agrestis is a variety of Domestic Spider or Tegenaria. In this country Tegenaria Agrestis is normally found outdoors. The other common varieties of Tegenaria, Tegenaria Domestica and Tegenaria Gigantica are usually found indoors but their bites are not poisonous. However given that my knowledge of these spiders is from websites not direct study I'll tend towards caution in my future dealings with any of these guys!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well heres a pic of one of my tarantulas.
    My one has a leg span of 6 inches and is only one out of the 4 that I currently have(all different species)

BTW I was an an arachnophobe before I got into this.Cured me the first time I held one.
    Richie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I was a bit scared of spiders, then a friend of mine got a tarantula (a chilean rose) and I handled that a lot, was never a problem.

Now I'm not really scared of big hairy spiders, but I hate small ones :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Demeant0r
    I hate having the fear of spiders, I got scared and queezy over a one centimeter house spider, so I got courage to hit it, took alot of courage though. If I was so scared of even the house spider, imagine me in Saharas or Australia when I meet the big boys!! :( :eek:
    wow, big brave man!
    look at it this way. it was either you or him walking out of the room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Originally posted by Sleepy

Snopes take on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

I was in a great humour when i got up this morning, all ready to go out sunbathing. Theres no way i'm going outside now!!!! My skin is crawling.

Originally posted by tman
    wow, big brave man!
    look at it this way. it was either you or him walking out of the room.
    Lol, you have no idea how girly I get when a spider approaches me, I'd get all jumpy and squirmy. :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Got this off the link to the daddylonglegs spider site:
    There is a persistent belief that the Daddy Long-legs Spider has the most toxic venom of all spiders. However, there is no scientific evidence to back this up. Its tiny fangs are incapable of piercing human skin. The myth probably grew from observations that the Daddy Long-legs Spider will kill and eat a Redback Spider.

I thought that was true about the daddylonglegs too because Crocodile Hunter said it!
    I guess its one of those myths like a goldfish 2 second memory that nobody ever questions cause "everyone knows it".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Originally posted by hedgetrimmer
    Snopes take on it

this is infact not a hoax, we know one of the troops over there who has been stung in the head by one of these things while he was in his sleeping bag...he told us that when they go into the bathrooms at night they have to stomp very hard in order to scare the spiders away...one time there was one of these camel spiders that just stood in the corner and wouldnt move. He stomped towards it to scare it and It CHarged Him!!

These are for real people, just another reason to never go to the middle east!

Can you imagine hearing gun fire and thinking the enemy is coming your way only to find out that they were shooting at these monster spiders! man, it must be hell over there.

Originally posted by BEAT
    ...one time there was one of these camel spiders that just stood in the corner and wouldnt move. He stomped towards it to scare it and It CHarged Him!!
    perhaps he should have tried urinating on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

this is infact not a hoax, we know one of the troops over there who has been stung in the head by one of these things while he was in his sleeping bag...he told us that when they go into the bathrooms at night they have to stomp very hard in order to scare the spiders away...one time there was one of these camel spiders that just stood in the corner and wouldnt move. He stomped towards it to scare it and It CHarged Him!!

Can you imagine hearing gun fire and thinking the enemy is coming your way only to find out that they were shooting at these monster spiders! man, it must be hell over there.

Are you taking the píss!? Are you saying they actually are the size of a dinner plate? I could research this a bit more but I couldn't be arséd, suffice to say snopes generally seem to get their stuff right.

Also to people posting pics of spiders you're arséholes. Seriously. Some people actually really have arachnophobia... and it's not nice to see a filthy spider blazing across the screen. At least put a warning in the topic or something. Cúnts.

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    Are you taking the píss!? Are you saying they actually are the size of a dinner plate? I could research this a bit more but I couldn't be arséd, suffice to say snopes generally seem to get their stuff right.

Also to people posting pics of spiders you're arséholes. Seriously. Some people actually really have arachnophobia... and it's not nice to see a filthy spider blazing across the screen. At least put a warning in the topic or something. Cúnts.
    Agreed, take down the images at once! :(

/me makes mewling noises

• Advertisement

I am not taking the piss, I am not saying they are the size of dinner plates either...I am saying that the photo of the soldier holding the spider is not a hoax though.
    Snopes even said, if you read the whole article, that they could not say if it was a hoax for sure because they dont know where the photo came from, and I am telling you that it is for real.

Ultimatley you will believe what you will, no bother to me.

And I too am deadly afraid of spiders, the photo nearly made me sick...and its only a photo! can you imagine if I saw the actual spider?

My fear is that one of those things will hitch a ride home with someone somehow and they will be everywhere!

/me points gun at head in fear

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It is actually a myth.You can buy these things online in the US.They are an arachnid but not a spider and their called Soligufuids(SP)!!

See here: http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/myths/camelspider.html

They also dont grow to the size of dinner plates rarely reaching 5 inches in size.They have no venom and are predators on other small creatures.The book"Tarantula and other arachnids" has detailed care sheets for them.

Tis all a myth people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    It is actually a myth.You can buy these things online in the US.They are an arachnid but not a spider and their called Soligufuids(SP)!!

Thanks for the backup hellrazer. The photo is quite clearly taken at a very close range. Even still they look scary enough to me.

It is not a myth...it says right there that they are real in your ickle link whether it be a spider or of the arachnid family.

They do exist and is infact what is in the photo...geesh.

Maybe I should have rephrased my post--They do exist but are not "spiders" in the technical sense of the word-They are arachnids.Therefore "camelspider"is a misnomer.

They also do not grow to the size in the picture but are a lot smaller growing to anywhere between 3-5 inches.

The picture makes out that these are some sort of monster--but theycan be handled freely without any major risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

In the picture the two spiders look about 4 inches each, you can clearly see the hand holding it for a reference, it's just up close to the camera.

• Advertisement

Agreed, take down the images at once! :(

ok, apologies to all who have arachnophobia, I have replaced the image of the two camel spiders with a link..

Of course, that does leave the reply by sleepy but thats up to him really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭catsup

what the hell is wrong with me? i know i shouldnt be afraid of the little hairy fcukers but even if i see them on a monitor, or on tv i just want to put as much distance as possible between me and it. [thanks rabies and sleepy for grosserific examples].
    im an uber-wuss, and its not just spiders. if it has more than four legs...i dont want to know about it.

i was planning to head off to australia for a year, the i found out what its like over there. they have cockroaches...fine, but giant FLYING cockroaches? fupp off. im stayin here thank you very bloody much.

Originally posted by catsup
    what the hell is wrong with me? i know i shouldnt be afraid of the little hairy fcukers but even if i see them on a monitor, or on tv i just want to put as much distance as possible between me and it. [thanks rabies and sleepy for grosserific examples].
    im an uber-wuss, and its not just spiders. if it has more than four legs...i dont want to know about it.

i was planning to head off to australia for a year, the i found out what its like over there. they have cockroaches...fine, but giant FLYING cockroaches? fupp off. im stayin here thank you very bloody much.
    There's flying cockroaches in Hong Kong too, I'll be there for the summer. They're really really annoying, but when they are on the ground, they are very squishable :D

ok, apologies to all who have arachnophobia, I have replaced the image of the two camel spiders with a link..

Of course, that does leave the reply by sleepy but thats up to him really...
    Thanks, I really wish people would think in someone else's shoes before they post. :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I was in Cancun, Mexico a few years ago and in the hotel we stayed in they had a plastic yoke in the bottom of the jacks bowl. I subsequently found out that it was for trapping tarantulas !!! Fupp me, if I'm ever leaving Western Europe again I'm doing as much 'creepy crawly/flying things' research as possible !

This is what's going to happen if we're not careful...

hailants.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭catsup

There's flying cockroaches in Hong Kong too, I'll be there for the summer. They're really really annoying, but when they are on the ground, they are very squishable :D

may eventually pluck up the courage to buy a ticket to Hong Kong, and some nice big clown shoes.

squish-ville

:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I did a midnight safari in a Jungle in Malaysia!

Some Beastly basatrds on view but I was surprised- when you actually see these things you're not a scared as you reckon you would be lookin at photos!!

Advertisement