Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powdered Goat milk for infants

Options
  • 25-05-2004 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hi

Our youngest (5 months) is allergic to Dairy products, we were advised to give her powdered Goats milk, but it aint to easy to find.

WE are currently ordering "nanny" goat milk by Vitacare from the chemist. @ E14 per 400g box its not cheap as she goes through 1 box every two days.

Has anyone here expierienced allergies to dairy products & what did you do?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Q3000

Hi Konit

Sorry to hear about your daughter I know how worrying this is, my daughter has an extreme allergic reaction to cows milk protein and goes into anaphylactic shock when she has any dairy products.

I don’t want to worry you as I don’t know how what type reaction your daughter has to dairy but we were advised as my daughters reaction was so extreme to stay away from goat and soya feeds as the proteins are similar so there was a chance that she would become allergic to these too.

She was prescribed Nutramigen which is a hypoallergenic infant formula as this is covered under the drug refund scheme we only spend €78 euros a month so you might be able to get this prescribed to you by a doctor.

Another possibility to reduce the cost is the to try and claim some of the expenses back using the MED1 form http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/med1.pdf this allows you to claim tax back on medical expenses including supplements for special dietary needs at your highest rate of tax so a phone call to revenue to see if you are covered might be worth while.

As for later when she moves to solids we found the Allergy-free Cooking for Kids cook book by Antoinette Savill a good guide and any of the Annabel Karmel’s cook books while not aimed to be allergy free cooking have some great for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

We had problems with cows milk as well but have since reverted to just the natural substance (with all thanks to Mama) and the use of soya and rice milk. The majority of children with an allergy to cows milk will tend to have similar problems with goats milk so unless someone trained to identify the difficulties has reommended the goats milk I would be very careful about it

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Our first child (daughter) developed a pretty bad skin reaction to formula (she was breast fed for 3 weeks) and we moved her over to NANNY. You're right, it is damned expensive and inconvenient to source so you have to be careful about not running out of supplies.

I can't remember exact timing, but at about 6 months we tried her on formula again and she instantly developed the same rash.... but she went on to formula (Aptamil) fine at about 9 months... and onto whole milk sometime at about 12 months.

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Thanks for all the help, she's responding 'rashwise' to the Nanny milk very well

but it constipates her badly, '****ting a brick' is nearest I can compare. Must be bloody painfull, poor little thing.

We gave her some prune juice yesterday, which resulted in quality nappies today

thankfully I wasn't there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, My daughter is taking nanny care also and it helps her I tried her with soya milk and she wouldn't take it, I buy my nanny care in the north and it is 18.99 stg for 900g it better value than what you are paying for 400g it would be worth your while to buy in north and stock up. hope this helps xxx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If she is allergic to cows milk she will probably be allergic to goats milk too,If it is just an intolerance you will be fine but discuss it with the PHN.
    We are using Nutramigen too as she is definitely allergic to milk and also appears to be lactose intolerant.
    Soya formula is advised against for baby girls.
    If you get it on prescription you are covered by the drugs payment scheme and med 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I know this thread is impressively necro'd, I just wanted to wistfully point out to everyone:
    Q3000 wrote: »
    She was prescribed Nutramigen which is a hypoallergenic infant formula as this is covered under the drug refund scheme we only spend €78 euros a month so you might be able to get this prescribed to you by a doctor.

ahh those were the days, it's €120 a month now!

Advertisement