Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive and memory questions

Options
  • 26-05-2004 1:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Well its time for me to upgrade and im getting a new hard drive and a much needed boost of memory!
    So this is what i picked out for myself

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=111283&cks=PRL

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=114074&cks=PRL

I currently have 256 mb of ram which is a samsung ddr-dsram pc2100

just wondering will they both work with each other and if not which one will(looking fo a cheap 512mb memory card)

The hard drives seem to be all the same and within 10 euro of each other so waht the difference if any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

It would help if you mention what mobo and cpu you have. Intel and AMD use memory differently, and mobo's can be fussy about what ram they take.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ok the motherboard is a d845ept2 made by intel and
    i have a Intel (R) Pentium (R)4 2.4 Ghz cpu chip

As you may have guessed my computer is one of the dell's factory floor
    hope this helps:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I've two maxtor D9 hard drives and a mate has 4 of them. We is both very happy with them, fast n reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Well in general you prob wont notice a difference in hard disks. The main difference is speed and noise ratio. Maxtor arent bad , a mid way point if you like. They wouldnt be a bad choice.....

On the Ram end of things you should be generally ok one you get Pc2100 memory ......... ie DDR266 . Preferably samsung, but either should run fine. Just as a BTW Ram is at a high price at the min, waiting a month or two might mean you will get 512mb over 256 for the same price............ its a wonky market

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ok ive decided to go with my first 2 initial choices

Just re-afirm that i want my 2 memory sticks to work togethor, dont think think this will be a problem as they are both Pc2100 so combined ram of pc will be around 768mb(256 + 512)

and i want my current harddrive to be as a secondary one (slave) to the new HD (master)and my OS's which will be windows and linux (planning to install some version of it when i get the hardware) botting from it

Again this shouldnt be a problem or should it!?

just want to double/triple check before i spend my hard earned cash on this (badly needed) upgrade :p

Advertisement