Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System32

Options
  • 26-05-2004 6:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

What does system32 do?

My computer told me it was a virus and deleted it, but now everytime i load up it asks me for it, I dont think it has messed anything up but i get worried when it keeps asking for it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

System32 is a folder containing kee windows files and folders.
    if it was missing Windows NT 2K XP 2K3 would not start.
    it could be the virus was written to use a file of the same name to be regarded as "normal" when logs are perused.
    Are you giving us the full error message?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Looks like system32(.exe or whatever) has been deleted from your system, but is still in your startup files.

If you're running 98 or XP, the easiest way to sort that is through msconfig. If you're running 2K, you'll have to do it manually through regedit, or download a third-party msconfig thingy.

Then do a full virus scan in case it has copied itself somewhere else :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

lets just pretend i understood what you are saying...where is this msconfig? (yes you have permission to slap yourself on the forehead for my stupidity, or even better hit me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

go to Start /Run/ type "msconfig" click on the Boot tab and uncheck anything you dont want to start at boot.

be careful some things are needed like rundll32

kdjac

Advertisement