Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting out of 12 month BB contract

• 26-05-2004 8:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Recently send a letter to UTV because i am think of leaving Ireland and just got BB 2 months ago.
    They write back saying that if i leave i will have to pay the remaining of the 12 months.
    This is pure insanity and they can not honestly expect me to pay that, i wrote back saying i would pay my bills up to the day i leave plus the fee for removing the BB from the line.
    I gues they will just say this is not legal accoring to the contract but i dont really care, should i leave i will indeed pay my bills but i certainly wont leave any account open for greedy UTV to rob money off after i leave.
    Does anyone knwo if they can really demand the remaining month of me seeing they wont be able to deliver BB at my new location (austria) or whats the deal?
    Would be great if someone from UTV could comment on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Nitrox
    Recently send a letter to UTV because i am think of leaving Ireland and just got BB 2 months ago.
    They write back saying that if i leave i will have to pay the remaining of the 12 months.

You agreed to a 12 month contract, they are perfectly within there rights to force you to buy out the rest of the 12 month contract.
    Especially if there providing the service that you requested without problems.

Did you not in anyway think you might be leaving Ireland anytime soon and if you dd think this in anyway, why did you get yourself into a 12 month contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

I think if you enter a 12 month contract it is on the terms that the company can deliver the service to you for 12 month, if i moved to a place in ireland where BB is not available what would they do then?

Also what can they really do, i plan to pay all my bills and then close my account, so there is nothing they can really do after that, no where to get the money from and no address to forward any bills to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think if you enter a 12 month contract it is on the terms that the company can deliver the service to you for 12 month, if i moved to a place in ireland where BB is not available what would they do then?

Also what can they really do, i plan to pay all my bills and then close my account, so there is nothing they can really do after that, no where to get the money from and no address to forward any bills to.

The contract was agreed on number and address that the service was provided to, if you move to a location in Ireland that can not get DSL that once again they can force you to buy out the contract.

Even if you stop paying bills etc...they can affect your credit rating which will/can affect you in later years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Does anyone knwo if they can really demand the remaining month of me seeing they wont be able to deliver BB at my new location (austria) or whats the deal?
    Would be great if someone from UTV could comment on this.

No, they can't do this. Eircom Wholesale will cease a DSL line for free now, once it's been active for 6 months. So the most they can charge is for the remaining four months of that. But this is just a new development, I think eircom only announced it on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

the 6 month thing sounds better as it will be close to this before i plan to leave, but f..k no i am paying for 6 months of something i wont use.
    Also UTV spend 1½ month before i got ADSL, so i will hold that against them also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

close your bank account, leave Ireland. What are they gonna do... send bounty hunters after you for the sake of a few hundred quid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

technically you've signed a contract and are therefore subject to the terms and conditions attached.

these will normally include a cancellation fee if you decide to break the contract so you will be liable for that.

They are unlikely to follow you to Austria looking for money but they may make a record of you being a bad debt, this can affect your credit rating both in ireland and elsewhere...

if it was me I would probably just pay the cancellation fee and be done with it

Originally posted by Iago
    if it was me I would probably just pay the cancellation fee and be done with it

Agreed, its hard to bite the bullet but in the long run your better off imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

UTV are spreading their setup costs over the whole 12 months, so that you haven't paid the true, up front cost of getting DSL. (The setup fee pays for eircom to connect you, but UTV have their own administrative costs, and the cost of the modem and filters and delivery, that UTV need to recover, which is why they, and eircom and IOL, all specify a 12 month minimum contract).

Advertisement