Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saw a Humvee yesterday in Liffey Valley!

Options
  • 26-05-2004 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

There I was driving home yesterday though Clondalkin in Dublin on my way to the N3 and coming the opposite direction I see this bright flash of chrome and the glossy-est black I have ever seen on this huge humvee.

I mean the size of the thing was ridiculous, it was all black with black windows huge chrome grill, and wheels and it had graphics on it like route 66 and such like.

How could someone in Ireland afford to keep on of these on the road let alone fit on the road, I remember when top gear did the review and they were only getting 1-5 mpg out of it.

Also I think the one I saw was the smaller version as I have seen the military version in a museum and it didn't look quite as wide as that.

Also it was an 04 something reg not sure if it was D or C, it must have cost quite a bit to import.

Anyone else seen this around, it was quite impressive, it would be a pity to scratch that paint and chrome driving over traffic..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Yip theres one around Cork also - i think it's a 95-C reg. Huge bloody things in the flesh. Don't know how he manages to drive it around our narrow streets - it looks wider than a truck! Always thought i'd like one of them but after seeing it a few times around i though no. A bit hideous really.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

in fairness they are a fairly imprssive vehicle but just not suitable for irish roads..

Imagine trying to drive one through Dublin traffic in rush hour or along the narrow
    country roads... :rolleyes:

And the mileage you would get from a tank of petrol/diesel or whatever they use
    would be pathetic.. :dunno:

I saw a stretch one in Montreal a few years back and it looked class.. :D

As long as those stretch limos going around dublin at the mo..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Pfft, hummer schmummer, I seen a Noble M12 GTO on the Lucan-Celbridge road last week .. never seen one on the roads before, just in various motor-shows.. goddamn is it good looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

The black hummer belongs to my cousin. The stickers on it are from when he did the Gumball 3000 a few weeks ago. And if that makes you sick...he has a Modena and an X5 too. And he is about 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Does it run on diesal or petrol, I was surpised about was how quiet it was didnt hear a big throaty roar from a v8 engine then again i was travelling at 30mph in the opposite direction.

• Advertisement

Petrol. Dont know how big the engine is. Its actually parked right outside the window here.(Our company is right beside his fathers company). It sounds like a big v8. Its an 04-d. Running costs would not be a problem. Think he might be getting a Gallardo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

WTF! I never knew Ross O-Carroll Kelly was a real person!

Who /what is Ross o Carroll Kelly.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

fictional character, has a column on the back page of the Sunday Tribune. 2 books available with the best of the old ones, classic entertainment. New stuff not so hot. Basically a piss take of the class of youth who would frequent Annabels etc. Don;t worry I'm sure your cousin's been called much worse - some lads would take it as a compliment!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Roish! Think he'd be seen in Tallaghfornia?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Is your cousin John Ronan of Treasury Holdings ??

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

A sample of Ross O Carroll Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

There are actually 2/3 HumVee's around Dublin. I've seen a blue one which looked fitted for *actual* off-road use, and a big black shiny one around Nassau st. which looks very much like a 'posseur' status vehicle the way it was kittted out. I've seen another one around Dundrum a few years back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    in fairness they are a fairly imprssive vehicle but just not suitable for irish roads..

I dunno about that - some of the potholes I come across every day would need a Humvee to get through.

Yeah, they are big though. I saw a Humvee H2 a couple of weeks ago in a car park taking up two spaces, with a Transit parked beside it. Not much of a difference between the two size-wise...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by DukeDredd
    Yip theres one around Cork also - i think it's a 95-C reg.
    He lives round the corner from me. Bit much for doing the shopping in but just the right size for ramraiding jewellers or pulling ATM machines out of the walls of banks.

My cousin is not John Ronan!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Big Bad and ugly but you've got to love them

http://www.maac-ireland.com/events/kilbsep03/pic20.htm

http://www.maac-ireland.com/events/kilbsep03/pic3.htm
    It belongs to one of the lads in our club and its in the new Pierce Brosnan film(cannot remember its name)
    joe:eek:

Can you imagine having to change one of those tyres? You wouldn't want to be in anyway unfit... I'd say if you rang the AA to come and do it they'd have to send 5 lads and a small crane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder if, when you select reverse, a voice repeating "Stand well back, vehicle reversing" suddenly sounds out!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

how much would the insurance for one of those be?
    i wonder if its hard for a 24 yr old male to get a company to insure him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

impressive machine OK but not for Irish roads.

Afaik its on a company policy. Not sure though. Lhd too.
    The Modena is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

pfft
    Whats the point without the roof mounted .50cals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

He must have a teeny weeny knob :p

Originally posted by HacksawEddie
    The mind boggles... I'm 23 and was quoted a few grand for insurance on a fecking micra. Methinks I'll ring Quinn Direct for a larf and say "Hi, I'm 23, living in Cork and wondering how much it'll cost me for fully comp on a hummer." I'd be single-handedly funding the company outing to Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by rymus
    I'd be single-handedly funding the company outing to Florida.

ROFL :D

BTW the black one in the south inner city is owned by the dude that owns the Treausury Building on lwr gd canal st iirc. He also owns a Ferrari and a few other exotics afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by HacksawEddie

8.4 ltr engine if I recall - and all at the low low cost of approx. $110,000 (hard-roof variant). The top speed is about 84kph if I recall from the tech sheet on hummer.com (I think it was - although t'was ages ago)

Jus looking at it now. It takes up 2 spaces. Big shiny wheels too. One of the other guys in here has an RX8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I caught the rally/race in marbella in spain and got a pick of the mighty beast couldn't believe it was irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like Mr Ts pimp-mobile!

Mike.

Advertisement