Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pigalle, Paris is it 'seedy'

• 26-05-2004 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am staying in the Ibis Paris Sacré Coeur on Boulevard Rochechouart between Piagalle and Anvers metro stations later this year.
    Some people have said that the area is very 'seedy'. Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, of the area in general or the hotel in particular.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

No it's ok, there's lots of sex shops and the like but plenty of good bars, restaurants and clubs as well. I'll be living in around Chinatown later this year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

the Pigalle is fine, I've walked through it at night myself with no hassle, safer than O'Connell street by miles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

por, you will walk into a bar in Pigaille and order a beer or whatever and out
    of nowhere these amazing looking chicks will come to your table and start talking
    to you and getting very " friendly". You think you will have died and gone to haven. But there is a snag, the lovely lady or ladies in question will ask you to buy them a
    drink...you want to pay at the bar but the barman says its fine he'll bring the
    drink to you and the lady. Everything is dandy. NOT

When you get up to pay...you will be presented will and exhorbitant bill
    possibly in excess of € 300 for 2 or 3 drinks...then the heavies appear to help you
    pay..please do not fall for this. I've lived in France and hundreds of tourists
    in Pigaille have got scamed this way. Check out the British Foreign and Common wealth Office website and US State Dept. website sections on Paris. They all mention this scam (unique to Pigaille).

Other than that you should be fine and enjoy all the delights Paris has to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭littlemiss

From what I have heard Pigalle is the worst pickpocket area in Paris also it is located right beside the Red light district. You probably will be fine just keep your wits about you. I have been there in the day and at night and it wouldn't strike me as a particularly friendly place. Especially watch the areas around the metros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 calculon

good on ya Paris is a slick place to go,

basically pigalle is a dodgy place at the best of times, but so is o'connell st/eyre sq.etc....
    just dont walk around with a sign on your back saying "mug me"!
    think im joking bout the sign, wait till you see the americain tourists at the sacre cour
    cringe worthy.

but pigalle is a top place to go out:

Corcorans clichy (place de clichy): 2 mins from moulin rouge, and a fave of the 'dancers'

Lokomotiv: a HUGE club, 3/4 floors, greeeat for scorage, open till 6

Folies Pigalle: um well, this place just has to be seen to be believed, open till about midday, good place to keep a session going after a club ...

all these should be within 10 mins walk of your hotel

• Advertisement
Advertisement