Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mustard storage

• 26-05-2004 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

here I'm specifically referring to Colman's ready-made-taste-in-a-jar English mustard.

Do you leave it in the press the whole time, just until you break the seal or is it kept in the fridge?
    If in the fridge, is it left on the shelf, prehaps obscured by various other fridgey-things (old mulching lettuce, half an onion wrapped in tinfoil, a nobbly hard heel of cheese)?
    Or do you store it in pride of place on the rack inside the door so it is always ready and available on demand?

Please rate your mustard storage habits.

How you store yours? 8 votes

10 - Excellent
    0% 0 votes
    25% 2 votes
    12% 1 vote
    25% 2 votes
    12% 1 vote
    12% 1 vote
    0% 0 votes
    12% 1 vote
    0% 0 votes
    1 - Woeful
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

if its a jar of colmans, then its in the press till its opened first, then fridge door shelf beside the hellmans. if its frenches 'american' sqeezy, then its in the press next to the sqeezy ketchup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Mine goes in the fridge, near the front of the top shelf for easy access ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mustard needs to be refrigerated???
    the label on my current jar said nothing of the sort, so into the press it went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

At home we normally keep the mustard in the press, mayo doesn't have a half-life though, so it's kept in the fridge.

Recently I've started keeping everything in the fridge (even bread ffs - though it doesn't go stale half as quick).
    Before I consign my mustard to it's shelf, I'm curious to know if you or your mustard have ever suffered from the "water-table" condition, ie where a small pool of liquid settles on the top of the condiment-air interface...

Heinz ketchup is an awful heure for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Heinz ketchup is an awful heure for that.
    havnt noticed it on my jars of mustard anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I keep mine in the press until it's been opened for the first time
    after that, it's straight into the fridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Originally posted by SyxPak

Before I consign my mustard to it's shelf, I'm curious to know if you or your mustard have ever suffered from the "water-table" condition, ie where a small pool of liquid settles on the top of the condiment-air interface...

My Dijon mustard does that when I leave it in the press, but the mustard still tastes great, and the watery bit seems to reduce with it.

Todays cooking tip: Put some mustard in a spaghetti bolognese, it really adds to the flavour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

In the fridge is your only man most people dont read the label most say refrigerate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

i find the flavour is dulled if the mustard is chilled, room temp for me.
    A jar never lasts long enough to go off in the press anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭vega_AH64

Well been as we are talking about you syx i am just going to have to say the next time i see you i will have to eat you out, i mean eat out of you, i mean stick my knife in your jar of colman's. nothing else

It never gets stored. gets eating too fast...

• Advertisement
Advertisement