Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Crash experts recommend safety review of bus stops

• 26-05-2004 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Crash experts recommend safety review of bus stops
    By Paul Anderson Last updated: 26-05-04, 10:30

The expert group investigating the Wellington Quay bus crash in which five people died recommends that every bus stop in the capital be checked for passenger safety, according a newspaper report his morning.

The Committee of Inquiry also says notices should be put in bus cabs instructing drivers to turn off their engines when leaving the vehicle unattended and Dublin should investigate the possibility of having accelerator and brake pedals modified to make them easily distinguishable.

Details of the report by a panel of international experts called in after five people were killed by an out-of-control bus on Dublin's Wellington Quay on February 21st are published by The Star today.

The victims were killed when the out-of-service Airlink bus mounted the pavement and crashed into passengers queuing to board another bus.

The report also recommends that Dublin Bus launch a safety awareness campaign though it commends the company's good safety record when compared to other firms in Europe.

It says details of its safety review of bus stops terminuses should be published in the interest of public confidence.

The Star also reports that the Director of Public Prosecutions yesterday asked the newspaper not to publish details of the report.

The DPP was concerned that legal proceedings that may arise could be prejudiced by publication of elements of the report.

However the newspaper said the matter was of significant public interest and cited a High Court ruling in which Mr Justice Peter Kelly said a trial could not be prejudiced prior to charges being preferred.

The newspaper said it had "no hesitation" in publishing. "t is the their [the public's] right to know because their safety, their lives and the well-being of their loved ones are at stake."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

We can all sleep easy now that The Star are looking after our best interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hmmm, I wonder what the cops response to this will be (the Garda is responsible for licensing bus stops).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

one way to make a lot of bus stops safer would be to get rid of them - there are far too many stops on most routes

between shankill and bray there are about 10 stops in the space of a mile - it makes the service unnecessarily slow.

Ambasite, can you attribute that article?

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/3276301?view=Eircomnet
    Dublin Bus starts implementing safety recommendations
    Thursday, 27th May, 2004

Dublin Bus has started to implement a series of wide-ranging safety recommendations following the bus crash which killed six people on Wellington Quay earlier this year.

A committee of inquiry, which completed a 100-page report within the last fortnight, recommends that Dublin Bus and other agencies review the safety of all 3,000 bus stops in the Dublin area, as well as city-centre terminuses.

Dublin Bus withheld publication of the report in recent days after the DPP warned publication could prejudice a fair trial for anyone charged over the crash.

However, details of the recommendations were published in yesterday's Irish Daily Star, despite the newspaper receiving a similar warning from the DPP's office.

A spokeswoman for the DPP declined to comment on the matter yesterday and was unable to say when a decision would be made on whether charges would be pressed.

The Star, however, said it was entitled to publish extracts of the report in the light of a landmark High Court case in which Mr Justice Peter Kelly found that publishing material prejudicial to a fair trial prior to charges being preferred in court could not amount to contempt of court.

Sources yesterday confirmed details of the report's recommendations which advise Dublin Bus to:

* Instruct drivers to turn off their engines after completing their duties and when handing over vehicles;

* Investigate the possibility of changing the design of foot pedals on buses to avoid any unintended acceleration due to pressing the accelerator pedal instead of the brake pedal;

* Establish a public awareness campaign to warn people about the dangers of getting on and off buses.

* It also adds that the report's recommendations should be published to maintain confidence in Dublin Bus.

A spokeswoman for Dublin Bus declined to comment on details of the report except to say that recommendations were being implemented and that safety was a top priority for the company.

The chairman of Dublin Bus visited families of the deceased recently to explain why the report was being delayed.

The families of the dead and injured in the bus crash were due to be given advance copies of the report and counsellors had been arranged to offer support to the bereaved.

A translator had also been organised for a Chinese woman injured in the crash.

However, the firm took steps to retrieve all copies of the investigation report after receiving the DPP's letter.

The report, which took around 11 weeks to complete, includes detailed appendices on technical aspects of the crash and the reconstruction of the circumstances.

The chairman of the inquiry, Mr Arnold O'Byrne, also reported to the board of Dublin Bus yesterday morning on details of the investigation and its conclusions.

Meanwhile, the drivers involved in the crash are still out of work and receiving attention from CIÉ's chief medical officer.

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/3307570?view=Eircomnet
    Gardai told bus firm not to park on busy quays prior to tragedy
    Tuesday, 1st June, 2004

GARDAI repeatedly told Dublin Bus not to park its buses on congested quays prior to the Wellington Quay bus disaster in which five people were killed while waiting at a stop.

The revelation is contained in a confidential new report commissioned by Dublin Bus following the tragedy.

The report, details of which have been obtained by the Irish Independent, blames Luas works and other developments for the loss of significant amount of space for buses arriving and departing on the city's streets.

Buses had to be parked on already congested quays and other roads. Gardai and senior Dublin City Council officials had repeatedly told the company to stop parking buses on busy streets before the Wellington Quay disaster, the damning report reveals.

"There has been continuous pressure from Dublin City Council and the gardai for Dublin Bus to 'rationalise' its operations, in particular the practice of parking buses for layover on street," the report finds. "The arrival of Luas, particularly lines A/C (Tallaght to Connolly Station via Abbey Street), has exacerbated an already difficult situation."

The report, carried out by consultants Colin Buchanan and Partners, was ordered following the tragedy but is separate to a top-level inquiry report, publication of which has been delayed following a request by the DPP.

The report reveals that Dublin Bus has lost significant amounts of road space for its bus stops in the city centre due to Luas works, car parking, taxi ranks, private bus operators and new environmental enhancement schemes.

Some 560 metres of termini kerb length has been lost because of Luas and other developments, according to the report.

The starting stop for the Maynooth 66 bus, the one being boarded by those killed in the tragedy, had been located at Middle Abbey Street and was moved across the River Liffey to Wellington Quay because of the pending arrival of Luas and its associated road works. The stop has since moved to Wood Quay.

According to the confidential report, the loss of space to set down and pick up passengers comes at a time when the number of buses has increased by 25pc.

Irregular arrivals of buses at these stops means that their capacity cannot be used efficiently.

"It is also the reason why there is so much bus parking adjacent to kerb-side stands, as exemplified by the situation on the North Quays east of O'Connell Street," it adds.

Traffic management measures by the city council has led to private cars and trucks being diverted into areas already heavily congested by traffic, impacting greatly on bus services. Areas worst affected include St Stephen's Green, Lincoln Place, Westland Row, Pearse Street, Tara Street and Beresford Place.

"Heavy usage of bus stops can delay departures, result in other buses queuing to access the stand (where the bus stops), delay adjacent buses in getting onto or off their stands and cause confusion to passengers," the report reveals.

It recommends off-street bus stations and interchanges, more stops, "tidying up of current stops" and speeding up boarding and alighting times to increase the capacity of each stop.

Treacy Hogan Environment Correspondent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

There has been continuous pressure from Dublin City Council

This honestly makes me laugh, Dublin bus never wanted to be there, they moved from there over a decade ago because it was dangerous, Dublin City Council where the ones that told them to go back there for Luas works, Something that Dublin bus fought hard against. Simple fact is that everyone and their grandmother pointer out that that stop was a accident waiting to happen, Bus always had to mounth the cerb to pull it. To every letter of complaint Dublin Bus would reply that the decision to have a bus stop located there was Dublin city coucils, and they would prefer to have it anywhere else.

Dublin City Council have no role in allocating bus stops, it's a Garda function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Hmm,

I can post again after being banned for highlighting DCC in a negative way. I assume its safe to quote from the report that also highlights DCC in a negative way.
    Traffic management measures by the city council has led to private cars and trucks being diverted into areas already heavily congested by traffic, impacting greatly on bus services. Areas worst affected include St Stephen's Green, Lincoln Place, Westland Row, Pearse Street, Tara Street and Beresford Place.

Actually it should read "Traffic mis-management"
    Unless such issues are highlighted how will they ever be dealt with?

I was banned by Victor for daring to mention DCC and their ongoing failures. As we all know Victor is on the Dublin City Council Transport and Traffic Strategic Policy Committee (Member) that obviouly creates a major conflict of interest if anyone dares to highlight how DCC Traffic Dept. creates problems.

Victor read this link I suggest a link to a "Blue Ribbon"
    http://www.eff.org/br/index.html

Bee

First off if thats true why didn't they move it, since they allocate stops why didn't they simply reallocate it, since they knew so much. btw persumable you would need planing permission from DCC to build a bus stop in the first place, so I there say they do have a say. edit (is it not the case that the gardi have the final say, the yea or nea, on terminal location, seems very stupid that law enforcement officers would be the ones planning the transport system and not the transport engineers.)

I never mentioned allocate it anyway, the stop was already there, it was Dublin City councils that removed access to the abby street stops there by forcing Dublin bus to use a stop they never wanted to.

Originally posted by Boston
    First off if thats true why didn't they move it, since they allocate stops why didn't they simply reallocate it, since they knew so much. btw persumable you would need planing permission from DCC to build a bus stop in the first place, so I there say they do have a say.
    You do need PP for a bus shelter, but I don't think you need it for a bus stop.
    edit (is it not the case that the gardi have the final say, the yea or nea, on terminal location, seems very stupid that law enforcement officers would be the ones planning the transport system and not the transport engineers.)
    Thats the law, the Garda is the traffic authority.
    I never mentioned allocate it anyway, the stop was already there, it was Dublin City councils that removed access to the abby street stops there by forcing Dublin bus to use a stop they never wanted to.
    Eh, no it would have been the railway order signed by the minister that set aside the land to Luas.

• Advertisement

Victor correct me here if I'm wrong but do you not need planning permission to go dig up the road and pathways (unless you work for DCC that is). I fail to see how you can but a bus stop somewhere without planning permisison.

I know the gardi are the final authority but as I said, they don't draw up the plans. They simply approve or disapprove on them.
    Eh, no it would have been the railway orfer signed by the minister that set aside the land to Luas.

eh thats not the issue, the land has no effect on the bus stops, the building work authorised by DCC on the other hand blocked access to those stops. This is the point I'm making.

Victor correct me here if I'm wrong but do you not need planning permission to go dig up the road and pathways (unless you work for DCC that is). I fail to see how you can but a bus stop somewhere without planning permisison.
    Most road openings (unless carried out by or for the council itself) are by way of licence under council bye-laws under the Communications Regulation Act, 2002 or the Gas Acts.
    I fail to see how you can but a bus stop somewhere without planning permisison.
    Would you think PP is needed for say a "STOP" sign also?
    I know the gardi are the final authority but as I said, they don't draw up the plans. They simply approve or disapprove on them.
    It would be the bus operator to draw up the plan.
    eh thats not the issue, the land has no effect on the bus stops, the building work authorised by DCC on the other hand blocked access to those stops. This is the point I'm making.
    The council authorised nothing on Abbey Street, the minister did.

Originally posted by Victor
    Most road openings (unless carried out by or for the council itself) are by way of licence under council bye-laws under the Communications Regulation Act, 2002 or the Gas Acts. Would you think PP is needed for say a "STOP" sign also? It would be the bus operator to draw up the plan. The council authorised nothing on Abbey Street, the minister did.

You nead more then by law if you want to bang a bus stop outside someones home or business. Thing about by law is that it only applies in situations where you'r not making a lasting change to the situation, diging a hole and filling it in is not a lasting change. Erecting a pole for a stop sign is a lasting change. If CIE are allowed to do so without planning permission then it would be a first and smacks of corruption. You'r also saying that DCC council, who is ultimately responsible for the maintainance and care of the capitals roads had no say in when where and how these road works would be carried out? Doesn't sound logical.
    It would be the bus operator to draw up the plan.

Actually it would be the bus operator in conjunction with the Dublin chamber of commerce the NDP and probably afew other firms consulting as well. You're the one claiming the gardi where the one that decided The nations capital's transport system.
    The council authorised nothing on Abbey Street, the minister did.

Are you saying that the minister told the authority what do do, or are you saying that they wheren't in the picture.

Advertisement