Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Issues

• 26-05-2004 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,

We recently got a West Highland Terrier but found out later that she has very sensitive skin and should not have been bred. She will be on steroids for life for the itching, I was wondering did anyone have any natural remedies I could use to relieve the itching for her I don't really fancy feeding her steroids every day.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Maybe take her to a different vet and get a second opinion as to what medication she needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

a large amount of water.......and a bag with a heavy stone. Bum Bum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭kahlua

a large amount of water.......and a bag with a heavy stone. Bum Bum

I'll need to test it out first... make sure it works, wanna volunteer?

Yeah sure, Im a bit sick of my border collie anyways, goes through a whole large tin of dog food a week and digs uo my bleedin garden, thats why hes never let inside

You know what they, it starts with a furry little animal then ends up with yo' mama muhahahaha!!!

Back on topic, i did go to a couple of vets and they said it was a trait in some of the breeds and they always prescribe steroids :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Yeah, unfortunately it is fairly common in certain purebreds that have been badly paired or overbred.

Steroids often *are* the only answer *but* it depends on the severity, some vets will just prescribe them because its a. - easy and b. -highly profitable.

Some things you might try are camomile (sp?) lotion, do not overbathe the dog, i causes the oils in the skin to dry out. A lot of the HERBAL remedies for skin conditions can be used (in MUCH smaller doses) with dogs, BUT check them out first by phoning a vet u trust.

Excess sunlight will not help, neither will excess heat, avoid cigarette smoke and exhaust fumes, make sure both house and dog are *completely* flea-free, *but* be carefull with flea powders an such, as they can irritate.
    Do bear in mind, that often a simple flea allergy in dogs can be confused with other skin conditions, make sure u eliminate the possibility of this being a simple flea allergy or even another allergy to a single thing, coz if it is, then it *may* just be a matter of eliminating that one thing!

Hope that helps,

B

Originally posted by leonotron
    Yeah sure, Im a bit sick of my border collie anyways, goes through a whole large tin of dog food a week and digs uo my bleedin garden, thats why hes never let inside

Border collies are one of the most intelligent breeds in the world (along with Alsatians and Poodles). Ever wonder why, 99% of the time, Border Collies are the ONLY breed competing in Obedience, Agility, and Flyball at Crufts?
    They need lots of mental stimulation. He's probably digging cos he's bored.

Im only joking about my dog, I love him to bits. He's also the first and only dog to abseil off fairhead in Antrim. Are the steroids for the dog expensive? I'd imagine they are as he needs them every day.

We think she's allergic to some sort of pollen, she's fine in the winter its just around this time of year when you get hay fever. I dunno if the steroids are expensive, our vet is very nice gave us a small bag full to see if it worked before we start buying then by the truckload.

Another good tip for anyone that has dogs with dry skin is to put cooking oil in their food. ;)

Cod liver oil maybe? I know it's good for their coat anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Or butter is another good thing..

Speaking of skin conditions, I'm a bit worried about my mam's cat. Patches of her fur are falling out and the exposed skin is covered in tiny scabs. She's 11 and has never had this before, though she's always had a bit of dandruff.

Is she scratching herself a lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Are they falling out or is she pulling/scratching them out? Has she been to a vet yet?

Not really, I've looked around the web for what it could be and it looks like it could be a flea allergy or mange. I searched her for fleas but couldn't find any. She has a bald scabby patch underneath her front leg and another near her neck.

I don't know if she's pulling her fur out or if it's falling out. She's missing most of her teeth so I don't know if she'd be able to pull her fur out.The scabs are tiny, like pinpoints. She hasn't been to a vet yet cos I only noticed one of the patches the other day. I don't see her much these days cos I'm always in college, only noticed one of the patches the other day when I went to pick her up.

If the scabs are tiny then it probably is something like a flea bite, give her the tablets and keep an eye on whether more hair comes out or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭R33F

Originally posted by kahlua
    We think she's allergic to some sort of pollen, she's fine in the winter its just around this time of year when you get hay fever. I dunno if the steroids are expensive

One of my dogs have terrible skin allergies, alot of it is caused by a weed here called "morning dew". Lots of bright red spots, ugly, and irritates the hell out of him.

After removing 99% of the weed from the back of the property, the problem died right off. We were given the option of steriods or cream, to which we chose the cream. (way cheaper). We also started him swimming in the ocean, the salt water is great for the skin. And good exercise for the dog as well.

Advertisement