Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

statcounter query

Options
  • 26-05-2004 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I was looking at my stat this morning on stat counter (fantastic product I might add) but i seen this

26 May 10:14:19 AM MSIE 6.0 Windows XP 1024x768 - - localhost (127.0.0.1)
    http://www.bungee.ie/ No referring

the localhost is the query why would this show up as local host

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

check your hosts file for errant entries - since the site is yours, there may be an entry in there from when you were testing?

You're not running a DNS server on your machine are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

lots of people connect to the internet through a proxy - so if possible we record the IP address behind the proxy. Sometimes that information is included, sometimes not.

But in a very small number of cases it's a little bit too good, and gets the local ip address of the machine. We're building extra checks into getting the ip address so this won't happen any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Thanks for that and once again great product

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Hi Guru,

I use StatCounter too for all my sites that I upkeep, and yes, its a great counter tool.

There is an option under "Edit Settings" for blocking any IP addresses. If you don't want your IP address to register i.e. if you don't want your own hits to count from when you surf the site from your own computer (for example when you keep checking that content you've added and ftp'd up look ok), then add in your IP address in the box.

You can exclude/include IP addresses as you wish.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Hi Seanie,

You're absolutely right - you can do that. But the fact of the matter is that it is a mistake when a 127.0.0.1 (localhost) ip address is being recorded. All computers in the world have this ip address. It's a bug that happens with a very, very small number of visitors and will be fixed shortly.

Glad you all like the service. You can expect even more huge improvements over the next 6 months. We'll be adding more and better features and slashing the cost of upgrades. Just finished my final year college exams the day before yesterday. So I get to put all my energy into StatCounter again and run it as a full time business from now on. (it recently got upgraded to a PageRank 9/10 in Google too - pretty chuffed with that - that's the same as msn/yahoo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

well done nahdoic, keep up the good work!

:)

Advertisement