Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

silly season and leagues round up

• 26-05-2004 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

got this in an email, its from one of the brit papers and has some interesting names and analysis

The Real Deals

Summer's arrival means Europe's footballing money men will spend the next few months chasing after anyone remotely rumoured to be capable of kicking a ball. Observer Sport profiles the top 20 players they should be should be shaking their tic-tacs at

Sunday May 23, 2004
    The Observer

FERNANDO TORRES (20)

POSITION: STRIKER
    CLUB: ATLETICO MADRID
    RATED : £18M

Rated the best young player in Europe and the one name every one of the top clubs would love to sign. Made captain of his club at 19, he is on a long contract and will not be a free agent until he is 24. Atlético have already rejected huge offers from Manchester United, Chelsea and Milan, but they failed to qualify for Europe and need the money. Atlético president Enrique Cerezo says: 'They can keep knocking at the door, but we will continue to refuse to open it. Some of the money that has already been offered to us has been crazy.' Torres was a European champion with Spain under-16s and under-19s and hopes to add the senior title this summer when he partners Raúl in Portugal. Scored 17 league goals for Atlético this season.

RUMOUR HAS IT: Torres follows the English game very closely and would love to come here at some point. He is less interested in Italy and would not want to play for Real Madrid. It all depends on how deep United's pockets are.

PABLO (22)

POSITION: CENTRE-BACK
    CLUB: ALBACETE
    RATED: £5m

One of the Primera Liga 's best centre-backs, who has been followed by Real Madrid, Barcelona, Arsenal, Newcastle and Bayern Munich since he started showing his class in the second division last year. Solid, quick and a great marker.

RUMOUR HAS IT: Nearly joined Newcastle last summer. His contract ends next season and he's keen to move - Arsenal watched him last week.

GERARD PIQUE (17)

POSITION: CENTRE-BACK
    CLUB: BARCELONA
    RATED: <£1m

The best under-17 centre-half in Spain. Still developing: has the physique, skill on the ball and good anticipation. A mixture of John Terry and Fernando Hierro. Played in the recent European youth championship (Spain lost in the final against France).

RUMOUR HAS IT: Manchester United lead Arsenal and Chelsea in the race for his signature.

RONALDINHO (24)

POSITION: FORWARD
    CLUB: BARCELONA
    RATED: £25m

Ronaldinho wants an extra bonus for his fantastic season - if they had a footballer of the year in Spain it would be the Brazilian - but Barça aren't keen to offer it. He insists he wants to stay for a long time and return the love of the fans. 'It makes me happy if clubs are watching me and want me because it means that what I am doing is being recognised,' he says. 'But I see my future at Barcelona.'

RUMOUR HAS IT: Barcelona might be keen to sell - despite denials - to wipe out their debts. Manchester United would love to have him.

DAVID TREZEGUET

(26) POSITION: STRIKER
    CLUB: JUVENTUS
    RATED: £8m

France's Euro 2000 golden-goal hero has looked increasingly disgruntled since Juve refused to award him a new contract. 'I'm not getting the money I deserve.'

RUMOUR HAS IT: Juventus thought they had agreed a deal to sell him to Barcelona - but Trezeguet isn't convinced after Chelsea confirmed their interest. The possible deal - worth £15m - could take Hernán Crespo to Juve.

JOAQUIN (22)

POSITION: RIGHT-WINGER
    CLUB: BETIS
    RATED: £13m

Since signing a new deal till 2010 (that will put the transfer price up) his form has suffered, but a move seems closer than ever. Nobody of his generation takes players on like he does. Seven goals this season make him top scorer for Betis.

RUMOUR HAS IT: Says he would prefer to stay in Spain - but wouldn't mind Chelsea either. 'It seems they are negotiating with the president. I can't really say any more - only that I don't dislike Chelsea...'

SAMUEL ETO'O (23)

CLUB: MALLORCA
    RATED: £15m

Still half-owned by Real Madrid and in his last season at Mallorca. Real's new coach, José Antonio Camacho, will decide if he goes back or not. Chelsea nearly signed him last summer but went for Hernán Crespo instead. With Cameroon he has won the African Cup of Nations twice and Olympic gold in Atlanta. He has the skill to succeed everywhere.

RUMOUR HAS IT: Barcelona have approached him - but he wants to go back to Real: 'It would enchant me to return to Madrid.'

ALBERTO GILARDINO (21)

CLUB: PARMA
    RATED: £20m

The most talented young striker in Italy who has somehow managed to replace both Adrian Mutu and Adriano at Parma this season, scoring 23 in 34 games. 'I know that there are teams in Italy and abroad who follow me and I read all about it in the papers,' he says. 'It makes me smile.'

RUMOUR HAS IT: Parma are desperate for cash after the Parmalat meltdown earlier this season and after missing out on the Champions League. Only a few clubs could afford him and it would be tempting for Chelsea to swap him for Mutu, but Gilardino is keen on Italy or Spain. 'If no one in Serie A wants me, I would be very happy to join Real Madrid.'

FERNANDO MORIENTES (28)

CLUB: REAL MADRID
    RATED: £10m

The Champions League's top scorer - nine goals so far - is almost certain to be in the Premiership next season. On loan at Monaco after calling former Real boss Vicente del Bosque 'a son of a bitch' when he asked him to warm up, Morientes has confirmed he has no plans to see out the remaining two years of his Bernabéu contract.

RUMOUR HAS IT: Chelsea's Peter Kenyon is thought to have opened talks with the player. 'My future plans appeal to me a great deal,' says Morientes. 'I really like the idea of joining that club.' Juan Palencia, his friend and adviser, says: 'Chelsea fell in love with him at first sight. Their Russian owner has been dazzled by him.'

HATEM TRABELSI (27)

POSITION: DEFENDER
    CLUB: AJAX
    RATED: £4m

Tunisia international and African Nations Cup winner, Trabelsi was short-listed for the African Player of the Year award this year and is one of the most sought-after defenders around. 'Three years at Ajax is enough,' he says. 'I am ready for a competition that is more interesting than the Eredivisie . This week, two or three clubs will start talks with Ajax. I hope that they will find a solution for next season.'

RUMOUR HAS IT: Trabelsi has already been linked with Chelsea and Liverpool, but has his eye on Juventus. 'I have always dreamed of playing for Juve. They are the Real Madrid of Italy and at 27 I feel I'm ready to play Serie A football. If Juve came knocking, I couldn't say no.'

XABI ALONSO (23)

POSITION: MIDFIELDER
    CLUB: REAL SOCIEDAD
    RATED: £10m

As good going forward as defending, Alonso - widely considered the complete midfielder - is ready to leave cash-strapped Sociedad after five years at the club.

RUMOUR HAS IT: Marca says Barcelona are planning to beat Real Madrid to his signature - but Alonso's unmoved. 'I'm not thinking about the idea. People are talking about it, but I am calm and I prefer to concentrate on my day-to-day life.'

RUBEN BARAJA (28)

CLUB: VALENCIA
    RATED: £12m

'We want new faces,' said Valencia coach Rafael Benitez last week on Sky's Revista de la Liga . 'And yes, to buy we need to sell.' Baraja, the Frank Lampard of Spanish football, was the key man as Valencia won the league and Uefa Cup.

RUMOUR HAS IT: Valencia are offering English clubs one of three: Baraja, Pablo Aimar or Roberto Ayala. Their debts are £70m and they need to sell.

ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC

(22) POSITION: STRIKER
    CLUB: AJAX
    RATED: £18m

Talented striker who snubbed Arsenal as a teenager and moved to Ajax for a Swedish record of £5.5m in 2001. Has overcome two long bans for elbowing and shenanigans in a red-light district to be dubbed the 'new van Basten'. 'Most of the rumours have had me going to Italy, but I wouldn't mind England.'

RUMOUR HAS IT: Roma and Juventus are known to be keen but Arsène Wenger has given up. 'If things develop as expected,' says his agent, 'Juventus are planning to take him.'

VINCENT KOMPANY (18)

CLUB: ANDERLECHT
    RATED: £13m

Arguably the best young defender in Europe, Kompany has already been called up to the Belgium team and starred in this season's Champions League. Several top clubs have had him watched, but his father could prove a stumbling block. 'My son is not a piece of meat,' says Pierre Kompany. 'He is only 18, get real.'

RUMOUR HAS IT: Chelsea have been told to wait. 'Mr Kenyon came here to talk to us,' says spokesman Robert de Pot. 'We told him we want Vincent to stay for one more season.'

PHILIPPE MEXES (22)

CLUB: AUXERRE

Auxerre coach Guy Roux said earlier this season: 'Mexès knows his destination is Anfield' - but since then clubs have been queuing up. Dubbed the 'new Laurent Blanc' for his stylish defending.

RUMOUR HAS IT: Liverpool still seem favourites, but agent Olivier Jouanneaux says: 'Roma and Juve have as good a chance as anyone to sign him. It is up to Philippe.'

CHRISTIAN VIERI (30)

CLUB: INTER

Seriously sulky striker who has tested his president's patience to the limit. Has scored double figures in his past seven seasons in Serie A and the Primera Liga but could be on his way after a season in which his own fans threw a bomb at his restaurant and complained about his lack of joy when scoring. 'I am happy inside,' said Vieri.

RUMOUR HAS IT: Chelsea had a £30m bid turned down at the start of last season but his value has now dropped to half of that. They could be tempted to offer Juan Verón in part-exchange. 'I feel my future is at Inter,' says Vieri, 'unless Moratti decides to get rid of me.'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

cont.

LUCIO (26)

CLUB: BAYER LEVERKUSEN
    RATED: £12m

Somehow still at Leverkusen despite his outstanding contribution when they reached the Champions League final in 2002 and for Brazil in that year's World Cup. A devout Christian who once butted a team-mate because he wasn't defending well enough, Leverkusen have admitted that it will be hard to hold on to Lucio this summer.

RUMOUR HAS IT: Bayern Munich's bid is one of 'two or three' Leverkusen have received, says spokesman Rainer Calmund. 'We know what we want for him - everything will be decided next week.'

TOMAS ROSICKY (23)

CLUB: BORUSSIA DORTMUND

Supremely talented attacking midfielder who at one stage looked certain to join Real Madrid. He's had an injury-ravaged season, but Dortmund have huge debts and need to sell.

RUMOUR HAS IT: In 2001 Gérard Houllier claimed he had 'saved Liverpool £8m' by putting his faith in Danny Murphy instead of moving for Rosicky. According to Czech newspapers, Rosicky might now be on his way to Anfield. Tottenham, Newcastle and several Spanish sides are also thought to be keen. 'Even though I have a long contract here at Dortmund,' says Rosicky, 'I still want to go in the summer.'

LUDOVIC GIULY (27)

CLUB: MONACO
    RATED: £9m

Effervescent midfielder who joined from Lyon in January 1998 and has been crucial in Monaco's rise to the top of the European game. Scored arguably the goal of the season with a back-heel against Real Madrid to eliminate the Spanish side from the Champions League and has netted 17 goals in 38 games from midfield this season. Could take over as France playmaker from Zinedine Zidane after Euro 2004.

RUMOUR HAS IT: Barcelona, Chelsea, Inter and Juventus have made enquiries - but Juve are the clear favourites, especially if coach Didier Deschamps joins the Italian side.

LUIS FABIANO (23)

CLUB: SAO PAULO
    RATED: £9.5m

Arguably a more talented player than the other young stars in Brazil, including Diego and Robinho, but could be undone by his volatile streak. Has already collected seven red cards, called a female referee 'stupid' and accused an opponent of 'going down like a homosexual'. Has been to therapy. Didn't work.

RUMOUR HAS IT: One of the hottest prospects around. Alex Ferguson has had him watched, but Fabiano fancies Milan. 'To play in Italy would be fantastic. With my friend Kaka, we would make a stellar partnership for Milan.'

DIDIER DROGBA (25)

CLUB: MARSEILLE

A key player in Marseille's Uefa Cup campaign this year, the forward from the Ivory Coast has caught the eye of British clubs. Chelsea are interested and Man Utd are thought to have already offered £15m. Having scored nine goals in Europe this season, Drogba may well have gone on to score more had he not sustained a hip injury before last week's final against Valencia.

RUMOUR HAS IT: 'If Chelsea were to offer enough money so that I can buy a team and a half,' says Marseille general manager Pape Diouf, 'I'd have to think about it.'

ALAN SMITH (23) LEEDS RATED : £6M

'I never thought I would ever leave Leeds. I thought I would spend my whole career there.' Now the focus of a transfer scramble: Manchester United are almost certain to beat Everton, Valencia and Juventus.

STEVEN GERRARD (23) LIVERPOOL RATED : £25M

Third in the PFA player of the year awards and the driving force behind Liverpool's fourth-place finish. 'You would have to cut off both my arms before I let go of him,' says Gérard Houllier.

WAYNE ROONEY (18) EVERTON RATED: £25M

England's youngest ever scorer has caught the eye of Arsène Wenger, Alex Ferguson and Roman Abramovich.

YAKUBU AIYEGBENI (21) PORTSMOUTH RATED: £6m

Kept Pompey safe from relegation - but was talking about moving on to bigger things the moment he arrived. Could be more ambitious than Middlesbrough, who put in a bid last week.

JAMES MILNER (18) LEEDS RATED: £5m (pictured)

Rejected a £5m move to Spurs, but remains a likely summer mover if he can find a suitable club in the north. Step forward Newcastle?

Need a new team?

You could buy this complete line-up this summer - and still get change from £100million.

GK: KIRALY HERTHA BERLIN, Free

CB: LUCIO B LEVERKUSEN, £12m

CB: KOMPANY ANDERLECHT, £13m

RB: TRABELSI AJAX, £4m

LB: LIZARAZU BAYERN MUNICH, Free

CM: XABI ALONSO REAL SOCIEDAD, £10m

CM: GIULY MONACO, £9m

RM: JOAQUIN REAL BETIS, £13m

LM: ROSICKY B DORTMUND, £8m

CF: DROGBA MARSEILLE, £15m

CF: VIERI INTER, £15m

Compiled by Guillem Balague, Marcus Christenson, Anna Kessel and Gemma Clarke

Europe's winners and losers

The highlights, the superstars and the super flops from the continent's leading domestic leagues

Xavier Riviore in Lyon Freddie Röckenhaus in Dortmund Paolo Menicucci in Milan Simon Talbot in Madrid
    Tuesday May 25, 2004
    The Guardian

France

Season in brief

Champions Lyon

Champions League Paris St-Germain, Monaco

Relegated Guingamp, Le Mans, Montpellier

Player of the year

Djibril Cissé (Auxerre)

Ligue 1's answer to Thierry Henry. Cissé scored 26 goals and was involved in all Auxerre's league matches. He is now on his way to Liverpool and is a fantastic buy.

Young player of the year

Sébastien Squillaci (Monaco)

In a back four with an average age of 23, Squillaci was outstanding - so much so that Jacques Santini, the France coach, called him up this month for a series of physical tests in case of injury to one of his defenders before Euro 2004. Squillaci is destined for better things and possibly a move to England.

Flop of the season

Monaco

Fabien Barthez's blunders in Europe for Marseille caught the eye but the collapse of Monaco in the final months of the season, comparable to that of Real Madrid in Spain, pushed them from title favourites to needing victory against Porto in tomorrow's final to avoid having to qualify for the Champions League.

English lessons for Euro 2004

Santini has omitted the Lyon strikers Sidney Govou and Pegguy Luyindula from his squad, which should please England as they have been brilliant. Benoît Pedretti from Sochaux (on his way to Marseille) and Jérôme Rothen from Monaco are midfielders who will harm England if involved - although Robert Pires and Zinedine Zidane stand in their way.

French lessons for Euro 2004

Even though most of the French stars play abroad, the general feeling in the country is that France are too good to be beaten. But, then again, that was the feeling before the 2002 World Cup. If Zidane is not fit, if Thierry Henry and David Trézeguet do not play as team-mates, and if Barthez plays instead of Gregory Coupet, France will not win. Simple as that.

Xavier Rivoire is French editor of Champions Magazine

Germany

Season in brief

Champions Werder Bremen

Champions League Bayern Munich, Bayer Leverkusen

Relegated Eintracht, 1860 Munich, Cologne

Player of the year

Ailton (Werder Bremen)

A ball-shaped joker but fast like a bullet, the Brazilian scored 28 goals in 33 matches. Reminds the Germans of their legendary striker Gerd Müller. Schalke 04 admire him so much they have signed him and doubled his salary.

Young player of the year

Lukas Podolski (Cologne)

The 18-year-old striker was promoted to the senior team in mid-season, going on to score 10 times in 19 matches, one third of Cologne's goals but not enough to prevent relegation. Of the Germany team he said: "If Rudi Völler needs me in Portugal, I'm sure he will find out my number." One place remains in the squad and Podoski's phone is on.

Flop of the season

Tomas Rosicky (B Dortmund)

The 23-year-old broke his arm, injured his back, underwent an appendectomy and achieved nothing. The Czech international scored twice and had no assists. Touted for a €25m move to Chelsea in January, he started the last two matches on the bench.

Seven Bundesliga players will play for Croatia in Portugal but only the German-born Ivan Klasnic, who scored 13 goals for Bremen, really caught the eye. Similarly the France duo Willy Sagnol and Bixente Lizarazu were barely above average. The Swiss defenders Raphael Wicky and Bruno Berner were among the stronger players for Hamburg and Freiburg.

German lessons for Euro 2004

For most national supporters the best news came when Carsten Ramelow retired. The 30-year-old Leverkusen defender has been blamed for the hesitant, ugly performances of Völler's side. Oliver Kahn and Michael Ballack have not shone, although rising stars in the squad include Stuttgart's youngsters Andreas Hinkel, Phillip Lahm and forward Kevin Kuranyi. Völler's selection of the striker Thomas Brdaric, who scored 12 goals for almost-relegated Hanover 96, suggests he has one eye on World Cup 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

and finally

Italy

Season in brief

Champions Milan

Champions League Roma, Juventus, Internazionale

Relegated Modena, Empoli, Ancona

Player of the year

Francesco Totti (Roma)

Italy's most talented player has enjoyed playing alongside Antonio Cassano, who finally seems close to unlocking his enormous potential, in Roma's attack. Totti scored a personal best of 20 goals, carrying Roma along on his back at times.

Young player of the year

Alberto Gilardino (Parma)

Born on July 5 1982, the day Paolo Rossi scored a famous hat-trick against Brazil, Gilardino started the season as cover for Adriano in Parma's attack. The Italy Under-21 forward scored 23 goals in a variety of ways: with both feet and he scored a few headers. He is now considered the new Rossi.

Flop of the season

Pavel Nedved (Juventus)

Juventus had a disappointing season and the Czech midfielder, who led them to the Scudetto and Champions League final the previous year, was unrecognisable. The 2003 European footballer of the year had his worst season in Serie A.

The France striker David Trézéguet had a troubled season with injuries and contract disputes but still managed 16 goals in 25 matches. Lilian Thuram was less brilliant than usual as Juve conceded 42 goals. The Croatian defender Igor Tudor struggled with injuries and the veteran forward Milan Rapaic scored four goals after joining Ancona in January.

Italian lessons for Euro 2004

After an all-Italian Champions League final last season, Serie A fell back to earth with no teams reaching the semi-finals. The form of players like Totti and Cassano give optimism but key players like Fabio Cannavaro, Alessandro Del Piero and Christian Vieri had poor seasons and the Azzurri need them at their best in Portugal.

Spain

Season in brief

Champions Valencia

Champions League Barcelona, Deportivo La Coruña, Real Madrid

Relegated Valladolid, Celta Vigo, Murcia

Player of the year

Ronaldinho (Barcelona)

The man Real Madrid deemed "too ugly" to be a galáctico has got Camp Nou purring again with his outrageous ability and fantasy flicks, his desire and commitment and child-like enthusiasm. Truly brilliant.

Young player of the year

Fernando Torres (A Madrid)

It is easy to forget that Torres is only 20. With pace, skill and 19 goals, including an incredible Matrix-style flying volley, the Atlético striker has looked every inch the superstar.

Flop of the season

Raúl (Real Madrid)

A lost soul, Raúl scored only twice in 2004 while contributing nothing of note. Slow, wasteful and drifting ever deeper, Madrid's captain had a desperate season.

Good news is that Zinedine Zidane, looking physically and emotionally shattered, endured the worst season of his career. The bad news is that a break and a return to France is the fillip he needs.

Spanish lessons for Euro 2004

Valencia's league win was based on a Spanish nucleus which will be well represented in Portugal. David Albelda and Rubén Baraja are the country's best central midfield partnership, and the winger Vicente ran Ronaldinho close as player of the year. Tiredness will be an issue, especially among Real's burnt-out players Raúl, Ivan Helguera and Michel Salgado.

Advertisement