Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 months free trial with iol ??

• 26-05-2004 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

iol have announced yesterday that its gonna launch a free 3 month trial with iol broadband , they will supply modem , if you dont want it after 3 months send the stuff back and you wouldnt have been charged a penny , also if you do signup you get the 4th month free aswell . anyone know if they will give theyr existing boradband customers 3 free months ?? seems abit unfair if not particularly if just signed up previous to this announcement .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What's unfair about it? That's like buying a packet of pasta in Tesco, and then seeing it on buy-one-get-one-free a week later and demanding a free packet.

You take your chances, don't you.
    There's no way IOL will give their existing customers 3 months free because Eircom wholesale are only providing this offer to new users.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its the luck of the draw
    nothing wrong with it
    It just kinda annoys me when users phone me up and bitch because when they got DSL 2 years ago they had to pay for there DSL modem and now its free and there unhappy.

all the luck of the draw tbh
    If it happened to me I'd be annoyed but I ain't going to annoy someone in a company about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaaBoy

they may not give us all 3 free months , but out of a gesture of goodwill they could throw in some kind of deal , instead of spending a large amount of money on new users , why not concentrate on lowering the price hence get more customers and keep existing customers happy .
    also if you were on a 12 month contract and you agrred to 49 euro a month , then say 3 months down the road they drop the subs to 39 euro a month , so instead of keeping existing members on 49 euro and new memebrs on 39 euro a month they drop the price for them everyone , they dont say sorry you agreed to 49 a month .
    I feel the same way about the 3 free months , if they'll give it to newbies , why not us .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sarahdb83

just signed up myself about 3 weeks ago. Got the modem free, had to pay for the installation.

That was the deal they had on at the time I went for it.

Its like every other company, they have different deals on all the time. Just depends when you go for it. Some deals are good, others are alot better. Nothing you can do about it.

The deal i got was a good one even though this one sounds alot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by BlaaBoy
    iol have announced yesterday that its gonna launch a free 3 month trial with iol broadband , they will supply modem , if you dont want it after 3 months send the stuff back and you wouldnt have been charged a penny , also if you do signup you get the 4th month free aswell . anyone know if they will give theyr existing boradband customers 3 free months ?? seems abit unfair if not particularly if just signed up previous to this announcement .
    eircom are giving a €120 rebate to providers for each brand new customer who is installed between June 1st and November 30th.

IOL can't give anyone else free months, because eircom won't pay them to do that for existing customers.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BlaaBoy
    instead of spending a large amount of money on new users
    IOL aren't spending a large amount of money on new users - eircom wholesale are providing the rebate to IOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Originally posted by Ripwave
    IOL aren't spending a large amount of money on new users - eircom wholesale are providing the rebate to IOL.
    But they are, they are paying for the initial connection charge to Eircom Wholesale. If you decide to cancel after the 3 months, you pay nothing, but IOL have lost whatever the connection fee was.

Originally posted by patrickmooney
    But they are, they are paying for the initial connection charge to Eircom Wholesale. If you decide to cancel after the 3 months, you pay nothing, but IOL have lost whatever the connection fee was.
    They'll also have to pay for the 3 months that you used. But the rebate is worth more than 3 months rental, so there'll be enough rebate "left over" from the trialists who become customers to cover a certain percentage of users who don't continue after the promotion.

IOL aren't "eating" the cost of the 3 months free rental for users who take up this offer. While they could take the rebate and spread it over all of their customers, instead of using it to get new customers, they'd end up losing out to other providers who will devote the full rebate to building new business.

If you went into the shop today and saw a 2 for 1 promo on shampoo, would you complain that you bought shampoo last weekend, and you only got 1 bottle for your money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

had a bloke on at door this evening giving me the speel about going over to esat and the 25 euro advantage phone offer with unlimited calls,but have to hang up as the hour is nearing etc...he said about the broadband that Iol are offering the BB for 3months but ill have to pay the connection fee,so i dont know about getting it all back when the 3 months are up?.....he said if i take the advanage 25euro offer my broadband is only 33euro a month,with 8gig download limit and a contention rate of 48 users to 1....but the other offer is line install for 80 euro and everything free,plus nortons package,plus im upgraded to 16 gig a month download and only 24-1 users online at one time........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

aha!

when i try to sign up for the 3 month free thingy, it makes me choose broadband/broadband + or self install/Engineer install!

will they charge me for this, them give me my money back, or is nothing charged at all?

AH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Only going to be in my new place for a year and im wondering if anybody knows if the usual 12 month contract starts after the first 3 months are over or does it start from the initial sign up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It starts after the 3 months is up, you must inform them that you want to quit the service before the 3 months is up...or you will automatically be signed and locked into a 12 month contract.

They send you a normal application form with T&C + an attachment that states T&C for the special offer.

So if you want to keep broandband, do nothing...your 4th month will be free, meaning your first bill you will only pay one month instead of two.

But be careful people, make sure you call AND write stating you wish not to avail of broadband any further, send back the modem by registered mail.

Don't give them any excuse to catch you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

From looking at iols website it appears they make you pay the connection fee (€90) while eircom are doing the same offer with everything free. Which do you think is the better offer keeping in mind iol will give you a fourth month free if you sign-up for 12 and their cap is 4gb bigger? I assume the standard of their services is more or less identical.
    I will avail of one of these offers soon but I'm not sure which. Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

eircom are giving free connection but like everything else from the rats den all is not what it seems....

you do get free connection but you have to sign a contract straight away, if you cancel within 12 months you have to pay 150 euros. With both IOL and UTV you get 3 months free and if you decide to cancel there is no penalty. If you decide to keep it then you get a 4th month free....

Also with the eircon offer there is a catch. They will give you free rental until 31st August, it doesn't matter whether you sign up on the 1st of june or the 25th august you only get free rental until august 31st.

With a minimum 10 working day leadtime, the maximum free rental you get with eircom is 10 weeks even if they start processing your order on june 1st, but it could be as little as a week or less...

From that point of view I think that the iol or utv offer are much better than eircoms..

Originally posted by Seifer
    From looking at iols website it appears they make you pay the connection fee (€90) while eircom are doing the same offer with everything free.
    Eircom are not doing the same offer. IOL and UTV are offering a 3 month trial free. Eircom are saying that they won't charge you for DSL between whenever you sign up and August 31st.

Advertisement