Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use a CC online without owning one

Options
  • 26-05-2004 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Can somebody clarify this for me, as im not sure if its true or not.

I am currently unable to get a credit card from BOI, long story, bad credit history when I was a student :( anyway, I remember being told that some banks allow you to purchase an amount of credit from them, for which they give you a temporary credit card number, this number can then be used to purchase items online up to the value that you paid the bank for. When the amount of credit that you purchased is used up the number becomes obsolete.

Is this true, or am I talking complete nonsense :confused:

Essentially im looking for a way to shop online without actually owning a credit-card

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Its possible with AIB .

Person A has no card and 24Hour Banking (same as 365) they transfer an amount to person B who also has 24 Hour. Lets say €120

Person B sees the money in their account. They do have a credit card that is not only 24hour enabled but is also enabled for this funky doodah Transact Online. . They generate a Single use card to the sum total of €120 or 2 cards 2 for €40 and €80 respectively .

Either way, Person A gets Cards which are perfectly valid for one online use and to the value of the moneyt that Person B already has.

I have done it for friends (me being Person B in this equation) and it has always worked out just fine. If you are a BoI customer you need to give person B the Cash instead as you cannot transfer Interbank with 365 or with 24Hour

HTH

M

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i might be wrong on this but some net cafes i think have a store card which they let you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    i might be wrong on this but some net cafes i think have a store card which they let you use.

The White Rabbit in Limerick used to do that, but there wasn't enough demand so they stopped :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Many Irish sites allow the use of Laser cards (strangely enough banks are very slow to give these out if you've bad credit so its likely you won't get one either).

I think what you are talking about is prepaid credit cards like they have in the US, where you have to pay a certain amount upfront. They definitely don't exist in Ireland, unfortunately.

The good news is that its likely to get easier to get a credit card, even with bad credit, as the market becomes saturated. In the UK there are several credit cards for people with bad credit but they have shocking interest rates if you don't clear off in full. I used one of these for a while and got stung once when I didn't pay in full for about 30-40 pounds even though my credit limit was only 300!

If you've a history of poor credit you're probably better off without a plastic card, unfortuately ::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Do Irish banks not issue "secured" cards?

(A seured card, is more like a debit card, than a credit card, google for it, but the bottom line is you get a Visa/MasterCard)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

Goto the ICB www.ifha.ie

and get a credit report and see if you can sort it out.

They can be ammened if you state your case.

Advertisement