Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5th Gear or Top Gear ?

Options
  • 26-05-2004 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭

Which do u prefer 5th Gear or Top Gear ?

My favourite is Top Gear , its longer , has the wall of cool , their own track and The Stig . Its also funnier

Which do u prefer ? 42 votes

5th Gear
    0% 0 votes
    Top Gear
    21% 9 votes
    I dont watch either
    78% 33 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Funnier? That's debatable. I don't like Clarkson's sycophants laughing at his every sentence. I get the feeling there are stormtroopers in the background ready to make an example of anyone who doesn't laugh at every crappy joke. Fifth Gear for me I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I dont like all the laughing , infact sometimes u swear they have a laugh track . But then agin there are very Funny moments as well as all those crap ones that seem to get as much laughes .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The blatent bias against german/french cars that they (especially clarkson) have pisses me off. As does yer man on 5th Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Topgear for me, while they do some good reviews, they also dont talk about the cars like there is a rod up there ar$e's. They take the piss out of each other as much as some of the cars they drive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

They both have their good and bad parts.. I think out of them both Id have to go
    with Top Gear as it seems to have the slight edge over 5th Gear..

I personally preferred the older format of Top Gear without the audience and there
    seemed to be a lot more in the older one, cars and bikes, new and old..

The new one seems to be more of an ego trip for Clarkson.. especially the time
    he had his own SL500 on it.. (could have been an AMG.. not 100% sure!!)

He was sitting in this boasting about all its features and about how nice it was to
    drive etc etc etc.. had to switch channels half way through as it was just pissing me
    off too much.. :rolleyes:

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy

The new one seems to be more of an ego trip for Clarkson.. especially the time
    he had his own SL500 on it.. (could have been an AMG.. not 100% sure!!)

He was sitting in this boasting about all its features and about how nice it was to
    drive etc etc etc.. had to switch channels half way through as it was just pissing me
    off too much.. :rolleyes:

Tox

Then you missed the fact that the other lads took the keys after that while Clarkson was not in the office and gave them to the stig.... he came off the track in it. The look on Clarksons face as he saw the recording of the stig drving it was priceless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by sutty
    Then you missed the fact that the other lads took the keys after that while Clarkson was not in the office and gave them to the stig.... he came off the track in it. The look on Clarksons face as he saw the recording of the stig drving it was priceless :D
    That was classic :D Top Gear!

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

5th Gear is miles better. Top Gear is just a Clarkson ego trip. He has no personality hes completely bias and boorish about everything. The little guys a good presenter though.

I remember on The original Top Gear Tiff had Clarkson in a Puma and threw it all over the track. Clarkson nearly wet himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Carfile rules! :ninja:

I only watch Top Gear on a regular basis (keep forgetting 5th Gear exists tbh), sure Clarskon can be a bit too "full of chat" but when its good...my main critism is too much flashy metal. Last Sundays prog was best when they had the old bangers driving from Brum to Manchester and back then putting them through some tests. I'd like to see more old metal in fact.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mike65
    Carfile rules! :ninja:

I only watch Top Gear on a regular basis (keep forgetting 5th Gear exists tbh), sure Clarskon can be a bit too "full of chat" but when its good...my main critism is too much flashy metal. Last Sundays prog was best when they had the old bangers driving from Brum to Manchester and back then putting them through some tests. I'd like to see more old metal in fact.

Mike.

There was more of that on the original Top Gear show. I miss the wider range of articles myself. Need some old stuff, new stuff, bikes, classic etc.

Clarkson picked a Volvo barge. Nuff said.

ya and then later clarkson found out he had a 'Gay ' taste in cars

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    There was more of that on the original Top Gear show. I miss the wider range of articles myself. Need some old stuff, new stuff, bikes, classic etc.

Clarkson picked a Volvo barge. Nuff said.

Ah but they only had a 100 pounds , and that volvo was indestructable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

its hard to judge, topgear has much more entertainment in it, 5th gear is purley cars. I hate clarkson and how he talks about coolness, which is total bull****, considering that jeans sales flumped due to the "Jeremy Clarkson effect" i sh1t you not i remember hearing about it on tv. my ideal show would have the guy from 5th gear who is quite old, but very entheusiastic, the little guy from top gear and the gril from 5th gear but with the resources of top gear. I really cant stand clarksons germany hating crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    5th Gear is miles better. Top Gear is just a Clarkson ego trip. He has no personality hes completely bias and boorish about everything. The little guys a good presenter though.
    Originally posted by weemcd
    <snip> the little guy from top gear

The "little guy" is Richard Hammond, a brilliant presenter if I may say so :) He presents Brainiac and he did some other presenting afaik.

It is what it's.

Hammond is a lot better a judging coolness aswell , does Clarkson try and put the worst / gayest cars at sub -zero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭halkar

5th gear. Top Gear is gone too much of boy racers show with all of Clarkson's spoiled reviews. Most cars in top gear are always GTI or all singing dancing more horses in the front the better where as the speeding limit is 70mph at max :rolleyes:
    Who cares if my £250.000 car can't do 0-60 quick enough? :D Hell, if I have that much to pay for car I go 10mph so everyone can see it :p Of course not on the motorway though ;)

Originally posted by Big Ears
    Ah but they only had a 100 pounds , and that volvo was indestructable

It was the only one that need attention under the bonnet to get it to the studio, and it had more faults than all the rest of the cars put together. The only reason it won was because he got it for £1. Bottom Gear would be more like it.

It only needed attention because he drove too fast .
    Most of those problems were lights(inside the vehicle ) anyway .

Originally posted by Big Ears
    It only needed attention because he drove too fast .
    Most of those problems were lights(inside the vehicle ) anyway .

Exciting stuff....yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

5th Gear for me as i thinks Jeremy Clarkson is an AS****, who is more interested in himself rather that reviewing cars. He left top gear to become a chatshow host, with that clarkson crap from a few years ago. Now he's back in Top Gear, making an absolute S***E of it. GET RID OF JEREMY CLARKSON

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Top Gear marginally wins it for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

aaahhhhh crap!!! :rolleyes:

Feckin typical isnt it.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

TG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

please do not dig up old posts just to add the grand total of two letters

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement