Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircon! hmph

• 26-05-2004 8:40pm

Eircom have graced me with a decent offer for once but when i rang to avail of it (summer free!? thingy) they said that i'm not really eligible as we have Eircom Phonewatch. The guy said that a technician would have to install the modem then and that they would be nice enough to charge me €100 just for some fat sweaty guy's company.

Can they really do this

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by emmet02
    Eircom have graced me with a decent offer for once but when i rang to avail of it (summer free!? thingy) they said that i'm not really eligible as we have Eircom Phonewatch. The guy said that a technician would have to install the modem then and that they would be nice enough to charge me €100 just for some fat sweaty guy's company.

Can they really do this

I am sure they can:rolleyes: But you could always make the argument to them that it is a strange Company who would penalise a customer because they are loyal to the Company and are actually using one of their products for x years.(for whatever period you have the Phonewatch).

And you could futher threaten that in the light of their attitude you will reconsider your attitude to renewing your contract with Phonewatch at the earliest opportunity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Its actually a known issue with Phone watch or any other alarm monitoring system
    that works via the phone line.

A mate of mine got IOLBB into his place and an engineer had to come out from
    Eircom before they could setup the broadband on his line.

Its one of the first things I was asked when I applied for IOLBB..

Sorry to say mate, they can and will charge you.. its probably in that tiny smallprint
    that they love referring to at the end of a contract..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Sure;ly all that you'd have to do is put one of those ADSL filter thingies at the phonewatch connection thing... i can't imagine you need to do more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

It's the same with all the BB providers. If you have anything enabled on your phone like alarms etc an engineer to come out and set everything up. I work for BT Openworld BB and it's the same for them too. In fact if you have a digital phone it work work for them either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Sure;ly all that you'd have to do is put one of those ADSL filter thingies at the phonewatch connection thing... i can't imagine you need to do more than that.

AFAIK it's not as simple as that, the phonewatch system is hard wired into your phone line so it can contact the call centre when someone breaks in. If it was just plugged into a phone socket it wouldn't be very good, would it :OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

I wonder what the story is with people who already have broadband who want to get Phonewatch installed? Do they get charged extra?

Advertisement