Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho - Where is he going

• 27-05-2004 7:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Mourinho - Wheres he going?

very simple question.

The following is paraphrased, not exactly quoted.

I feel it is the right time to leave, I have been here 2 and a half years and when I came Porto was asleep, now it is wide awake, and I am very proud of myself and the players for this.....

Interviewer: So, is England your destination of choice Jose?

Almost certainly yes, my agent has had contact with several teams, there were teams from Italy also, but England is where I want to be...

Interviewer: So, is that with Chelsea?

*smiles* You will find out in the next few days, but I had a chat with a team and I gave them my word, and just because I am now the Champions League winning manager, I am a man of my word, and I will stick with the team that I gave my word to.

Interviewer: So, is that Chelsea?

This week, you will almost certainly find out.

Interviewer asks about the money that Chelsea have being tempting.

If you have a lot of money, you have to spend it wisely, but if not, you have to work more on tactics and formation, it doesn't really matter.

I would just like to say to the team I am coming to, to the board and the fans, that I come with all my heart.. and will do my best to be a success there.

Wjere is Mourinho going 20 votes

Spurs
    0% 0 votes
    Chelski
    15% 3 votes
    Liverpool
    85% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

90% Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Sounds more like Liverpool to me. He seems to prefer a non-interfering chairman, which he certainly will get at Liverpool, and won't at Chelsea.

Plus considering Chelsea came 2nd in the league this year and reach the semis of the CL, their best season since 1955 and the manager is still getting the sack, he may prefer a team where he will be given time to build it up, instill his tactics, discipline etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Sounds more like Liverpool to me. He seems to prefer a non-interfering chairman, which he certainly will get at Liverpool, and won't at Chelsea.

Plus considering Chelsea came 2nd in the league this year and reach the semis of the CL, their best season since 1955 and the manager is still getting the sack, he may prefer a team where he will be given time to build it up, instill his tactics, discipline etc.

that what makes think its spurs meself. if they have been in agreement and he plans on honouring it, then i can't see how it is liverpool if they have just started their search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

I reckon it's Spurs - he had a verbal agreement with them the night that Porto played Marseille in the Champions League back in November. The person who told me Houllier had left Liverpool has also been told that Abramovich has given Ranieri one more season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Why would Mourinho join Spurs ( a club that even his brillance will struggle to win anything ) , when he could join clubs with realistic ambitions .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I would be surprised if it was Spurs for Mourinho. Realistically, what can he do with that team? They have potential but its a long way off and it would be a long-term project. There are better options on the table. Granted, Chelsea would be a high pressured environment, but he is likely to get two seasons out of it and if he gets ukp 5m a year then why wouldn't he? Liverpool are only supposed to be paying half that at best and although the tenure might be more safe, a 5 year plan would be acceptable possibly, the CL does not look likely for a while. Mourinho has just won the CL, and ironically he wasnt overjoyed with that mainly due to his impending move, so he is willing to move to a team that is yearning success.

I think he will move to Chelsea although the soundings coming from Abramovich and Ranieri have been unsual in the last couple of weeks. Lest we forget, Houllier said that he was 100% certain that he would be at Liverpool next season only to say a few days later that he was parting company amicably. I think up until the CL semi Ranieri's case had a lot of sympathy among everybody, but his tactics lt him down in those matches and clearly Chelsea have been looking for a replacement for him.

I'm estimating:
    Mourinho to Chelsea
    Benitex to Liverpool
    Ranieri or Curbishley to Spurs!

Its all a bit of a merry-go-round.

Originally posted by Big Ears
    Why would Mourinho join Spurs ( a club that even his brillance will struggle to win anything ) , when he could join clubs with realistic ambitions .

can you explain to me how spurs have not shown realistic ambition.

Spurs recently raised £15mil for the use in transfers couple this with the money already in the kitty, the new man has a reported budget of £25mil. We also have the second richest man in english football owning us.

We have spent more money than most teams since the prem has started.
    this means that perhaps money has not been spent wisely and a complete overhaul of the club has taken place.

Our recent signings of young promising players in defoe and robinson, does this not show realistic ambition?

How about the signing of arnesen, one of the most respected men in european football and the recent £6mil over 2 year offer to davids?

What you said above really p*sses me off because you obviously have no clue about what you are talking about, but in your wit you have decided to post the most inaccurate statement i have read on this board for some time.

rant over

Whens the last time Spurs were challenging for the English league ?

Whens the last time Spurs finnished in a champions league spot ? ( not a European Cup one )

Spurs havent one anything since the eighties , They Are Not A Big Club , Liverpool are . Spurs are a mid-table team , and that money wont be spent wisely because Mourinho wont go to Spurs . Quiroz might .

Whens the last time Spurs were challenging for the English league ?

Whens the last time Spurs finnished in a champions league spot ? ( not a European Cup one )

Spurs havent one anything since the eighties , They Are Not A Big Club , Liverpool are . Spurs are a mid-table team , and that money wont be spent wisely because Mourinho wont go to Spurs . Quiroz might .

what you said is that spurs aren't showing realistic ambition.what you have written out above aids your argument in no way. as i said spurs are showing realistic ambition.

What is your definition of a big club?

"that money wont be spent wisely." Can you back this up with anything or is this another sh*t nugget you have pulled out of your ass?

BTW:

91 - Fa Cup

99 - League cup

granted not much but goes to show you don't know what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Chelsea... He'll be going for the BIG money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

He aint going to Spurs ;)

Hopefulll the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I think he'll go to Chelsea.

Looks like Spurs are after Queiroz and Liverpool after Benitez

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1137204,00.html

looks like arensen has denied talking to the press.

come on mourinho!! you know what you want!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

he is going to Chelsea...

Teamtalk.com
    "I have some offers in my wallet, but one which I very much want to accept, which is that from Chelsea," Mourinho told Portuguese channel Sport TV.

My defenition of a big club is how many times its been in Europe recently , and not how much money it has .

sure Spurs are showing realistic ambitions to become a better team and win maybe a Uefa cup spot , but why would a manager go with a club that have ambitions to get European places , when he could go for a club that has ambitions to win the league and are a better team currently .

Can you back this up with anything or is this another sh*t nugget you have pulled out of your ass?(quote sikes ) em your getting a little too excited over me giving my opinion , your probably a Spurs fan and im not trying to make fun of you or your club ( im a Newcastle fan and ive never seen us win a decent competition ), when I said they hadnt won anything a ment Big competitons ( that F.A. cup win slipped through my memory )

the point is Mourinho has just won the Champions league in his second year at a club , and in his first he won the Uefa cup , he's too good for any side not in the top 4 of their country .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Originally posted by sikes
    can you explain to me how spurs have not shown realistic ambition.
    You've got your wires crossed sikes, he's not saying Spurs aren't ambitious, just that they're unlikely to be contenders for anything major. I think you're dreaming again re: Mourinho (but I admire your hope) - I'll eat my keyboard if he goes to Spurs.

I think he'll go with the money myself. Yes at Liverpool there'd be less pressure but you have to look at what he did with Porto... with his skills and a fat wallet he should run amok with Chelsea. And if he does go, my money's on them to take the PS and CL next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Five Live is dicussing Murinho right now with Portugese jorno.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Mourinho set for lucrative deal

I thought he would have chose Pool but it looks certain he's going to Chelski now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Ranieri is still Chelsea's manager. Earlier in the week Abramovich told him that he would be the manager next season. Mourinho has agreed to join Chelsea but there isn't a vacancy at the club yet - Abramovich is waiting for Ranieri to walk away from the club and Ranieri is waiting for Abramovich to sack him and pay off his contract believed to be worth £4-6M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I hope they're not waiting for Rick Parry to come back from holliers to finalise Ranieri's move to Liverpool :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Parry has gone on holidays confident that Benitez is in the bag - or so I understand...

My defenition of a big club is how many times its been in Europe recently , and not how much money it has .

sure Spurs are showing realistic ambitions to become a better team and win maybe a Uefa cup spot , but why would a manager go with a club that have ambitions to get European places , when he could go for a club that has ambitions to win the league and are a better team currently .

Can you back this up with anything or is this another sh*t nugget you have pulled out of your ass?(quote sikes ) em your getting a little too excited over me giving my opinion , your probably a Spurs fan and im not trying to make fun of you or your club ( im a Newcastle fan and ive never seen us win a decent competition ), when I said they hadnt won anything a ment Big competitons ( that F.A. cup win slipped through my memory )

the point is Mourinho has just won the Champions league in his second year at a club , and in his first he won the Uefa cup , he's too good for any side not in the top 4 of their country .

i have never said that spurs were a big club bit we have ambitions to get into europe and that would in your view make us a big club. the fact that you said we have realistic ambition, now i am happy!!

i can still hope for mourinho. until he has signed for chelsea anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

As a Chelsea fan myself, I won't be happy if he comes to Chelsea. Any one else feel the same??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The only ambition that spurs have shown in the last 5 years is sacking David Pleat.

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    The only ambition that spurs have shown in the last 5 years is sacking David Pleat.

right we have discussed this before and the debate has finished. you bought nothing new to the argument. the fact of the matter is, one of the most respected managers in world football, trapatoni said that spurs are a big club and show big ambitions.

i think he knows more about football than you or I.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by sikes
    i think he knows more about football than you or I.!!

Obviously not if he thinks Spurs are a big club. They have qualified for Europe about 3 times in the last 12 years. Yes they do have a large fan base but no they are not a big club.

everyone has a different opinion on what defines a big club. most would recognise the achievements, the fan base and the financial clout to define whether a club is big. and for that reason the many percieve spurs to be a big club.

but i take your point of view. this summer will define spurs next 5-10 years. the correct set-up, coach and few class players could see us back where we belong or else another wasted decade.

going back to the topic, its not looking good for spurs and mourinho but we will be there to pick the chelsea reject and who i would also love to see in charge.

Raneiri for spurs!!

I think what defines a big club is achievements more than anything else e.g. say Huddersfield had 2 million supporters in Britain and had a club balance of 70 million and a transfer budget of 25 million .

If they were still in the 3rd division they would not be a big club . although it would be very unuasual for a club with so much money to be in such a little league , often money and fanbase comes with success .

• Advertisement
Advertisement