Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kirlian photography

Options
  • 26-05-2004 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

I know this might be off topic a bit..but I didn't want to open another thread, (I fugured it comes under the heading as pseudo science) but in relation to kirlian photography, what is it that they actually photograph and how do they produce the results?
    I know it might be a silly question but I would appreciate any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

You are very welcome to open a new thread :)

The Skeptic's Dictionary is always a good start for these things and it does have an entry for Kirlian photography:
    http://skepdic.com/kirlian.html

I thought this old parlour trick-type nonsense had disappeared long ago but I was surprised to hear that it was on offer as a "diagnostic tool" at the Mind, Body, Spirit fair this year. Anyone have further details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

I exhibit at the ideal homes every year but I gave into temptation last year and produced this pic, which is why I'm asking.
    If nothing else it was fun :D

I had to place my hands on metal plates while pic was being taken so I'm curious as to how doing this produces the effect it does. I have to say I didn't really get a diagnosis of sorts, but I did have a very strange conversation with the lady who was providing the service.

My, what a big aura you have :-)

It's certainly very interesting, whatever about the interpretation. I've been looking around the web and it seems to involve hooking you up to a very high voltage. This causes an accumulation of electric charge on the outside of your body which ionizes the gas (air) surrounding you.

Ionization is when electrons are stripped from their atoms. When the electrons recombine with the ions, photons of light are emitted. These photons are recorded by the photographic film.

The colours depend on the gas involved and the characteristics of the film.

Thanks for the photo.

LOL...
    My, what a big aura you have :-)
    yes.. apparantly it had something to do with my ego.....:)
    I don't remember being hooked up to a high voltage (would I remember that?) or recieving a charge, but it's possible it was subtle so that I didn't percieve it,but thanks for the explanation.
    Just to ask a further question..about the air around me..I suppose I'm questioning the extent (volume) of this gas/air around me... maybe what I'm chasing is how this is defined, (color/intensity/mass), or where it orignates.
    Think I'm trying to figure out source of this energy..is it just heat?

[edit]
    What is being recorded?

All living creatures generate and emit radiations. Photons of light, electromagnetic frequencies, heat, sound, and scent are all emitted from our bodies in direct relationship to our internal states.
    http://www.kirlian.org/kirlian.htm

Originally posted by remote viewer
    I don't remember being hooked up to a high voltage
    That would be when you put your hands on the high voltage metal plates (the current is extremely low so this wouldn't hurt).
    I suppose I'm questioning the extent (volume) of this gas/air around me... maybe what I'm chasing is how this is defined, (color/intensity/mass), or where it orignates.
    The gas is just normal air. The high voltage on your body is enough to ionize or at least excite the atoms/molecules in the air around your body.

When the atoms return to a normal (lower energy) state, they emit energy in the form of light.

It's a very similar process inside a fluorescent tube, i.e. high voltage, low current, atoms emitting photons when they lose energy.

• Advertisement

does that mean this scentence is just speculative.
    "All living creatures generate and emit radiations. Photons of light, electromagnetic frequencies, heat, sound, and scent are all emitted from our bodies in direct relationship to our internal states."

The sentence is OK as far as it goes. For example, the body should radiate more heat when it is awake and active than when it is asleep. So that's a relationship to internal state.

Also, the body does generate a small, electric field which is very hard to detect without placing electrodes directly on the skin.

Does Kirlian photography capture any of the body's normal field? No, the aura is caused simply by the applied high voltage.

thanks.
    I can't consider this photography of the aura, basically as I don't have a clear definition of what the aura is, just trying to get my head around some basics facts about the human body.
    trying to delineate a point where the general atmosphere integrates with the electromagnetic fields of a life form is seemingly very difficult, and if there was a point that was definable by some method of recording I'd like to see it.

"Does Kirlian photography capture any of the body's normal field? No, the aura is caused simply by the applied high voltage."
    I'm not sure what the bodies normal field is, its still a little confusing, but for the most part I think you answered my question.

much appreciated.(and sorry for rabbiting..it's just difficult to discern between fact and fiction on the interweb as you know)

Advertisement