Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie question

• 27-05-2004 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I've a laptop with a Wireless built in. (802.11g). I only have a dialup net connection but would like to to share it so I can browse the web using the laptop without having to run a cable to phone etc. I have an old desktop PC I can leave running to act as a server. Its an old P3/500 but has onboard 10/100 lan and USB 1.1. What gear to I need, and how do I set it up?

Any access routers with a modem seem very expensive so I think I'll just use the desktop. It only has 2xPCI slots so I'd prefer not to use them. Would a USB wifi be ok? For a dialup that should be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

USB should be fine, Ricardo. Assuming that your "server" is running some flavour of Windows, and will continue to do so, you'll need some kind of gateway/router software - I used to use WinRoute before I cut over to Linux, but I see it's not free anymore. Hopefully, some Windows folk will have other suggestions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Well first of all you'll need a modem in the old PC. Then it all depends on what OS it's running. With 2000/XP it's fairly easy to set up Internet Connection Sharing between your desktop and laptop with both PCs using the network cards in Ad-Hoc mode (where they talk directly to each other without the need for an Access Point). It's possible to do this with Windows 98SE/ME too but takes quite a bit more effort and is no where near as reliable.

Let me know what OS you have on your Desktop if you want instructions on the actual settings you need. If you can I'd recommend using Windows XP as it had a few nice features for what your doing. You'll need 128MB RAM or more though in the desktop for XP to work properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The desktop has 64mb of ram at the moment. I tired XP on it but it crawled. So it has 98se on it currently. But I'm waiting on some more ram and once that arrives I'll put XP back on it. I'll likely try to dual boot this machine with some form of Linux aswell. The desktop has a Intel PCI 56K modem. I might have problems getting drivers for it under XP and Linux though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    The desktop has a Intel PCI 56K modem. I might have problems getting drivers for it under XP and Linux though.

I can't help you with XP, but if it's a winmodem, you may be able to get it working on Linux, depending on the chipset. Have a look here or google for "linmodem".

<edit>
    I've just read that back, and I've left something out. If it's a proper hardware modem i.e. not a winmodem, it will work with linux with no problem.
    </edit>

Advertisement