Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cisse

• 27-05-2004 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Is he still going to Liverpool? What if the new manager doesn't rate him? Will he be forced to work with him?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

He'll be forced to work with him, and also forced to work with every other player at the club. He wont be forced to play anyone though and he'll be allowed bring in at least another 2 players with a budget of at least 15m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

But surely they won't close the deal until a new manager is on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The deal is still set to go through at the start of July.

As far as I know the Cisse deal is closed. Just for some legal reason that I don't understand it can't be officially disclosed until July 1.

I've also just heard from a source, that the other 2 deals that Liverpool had planned for the summer have already been arranged (which would explain Stevie G's comments that there'll be 3 new faces when he returns), so the new manager may not be able to bring in any of his own new faces!

(Luckily?) one of those deals has fallen through. Liverpool agreed a fee with Leeds for Alan Smith and were in contract negotiations with him, but he chose the mancs. Valencia, Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Everton all also agreed a fee with Leeds. Smith talked with Valencia, but turned all the others down without even speaking to them. So it does open the way for the new man to bring in at least one new face of his own.

Apparently the other deal that has all but been agreed is on hold until the new manager arrives, but Liverpool expect it to go through. I do not have confirmation on who it is, but I'd guess its Van de Vaart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3735279.stm

Liverpool have confirmed that Auxerre striker Djibril Cisse will be joining them on 1 July, despite Gerard Houllier's exit from the club.
    There had been doubts about his move as Houllier had been instrumental in setting it up but chief executive Rick Parry confirmed he would be joining.

"I don't think you could have taken the decision not to sign him because we've parted company with Gerard," he said.

The 22-year-old was the French league's top scorer this season with 26 goals.

Cisse says he turned down Real Madrid to join Liverpool and Parry says his arrival will give fans something to look forward to next season.

"Cisse is a very exciting player with a good goalscoring record. He has pace and power and all the qualities a modern striker needs," he said.

"He is someone who we believe is capable of scoring 20 goals a season."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

One other thing to note about Cisse is a French Internationel , and is sometimes picked ahead of David Trezageut

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

ah he has a lot of developing to do. Hes very rough around the edges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

he may be rough around the edges, but hes still 20 goals a season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Heh, at least now with GH's departure, we can see a stop to all the french-speaking buys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

hope hes not another emile heskey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Rick Parry said Cisse is definitely joining on July 1st.

There are a lot of stories floating about, but this may have some truth to it. Apparently if Benitez takes over he wants to take Roberto Ayala and Pablo Aimar with him. From the odd Valencia game I've watched on sky sports they'd be a welcome addition to Anfield in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭red-not-blue

Heh, at least now with GH's departure, we can see a stop to all the french-speaking buys

I believe Arsenal have said the same :D

Hopefully I won't have to hide in school next season when we loose ! I fed up at fans of Villa and Chelsea slagging us off. With luck we will get a coach with an atacking style, I like Strachans way of doing things and his sense of humor.

RNB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    There are a lot of stories floating about, but this may have some truth to it. Apparently if Benitez takes over he wants to take Roberto Ayala and Pablo Aimar with him. From the odd Valencia game I've watched on sky sports they'd be a welcome addition to Anfield in my opinion.

After the Cisse deal, I can't see Liverpool having enough left to afford both Aimar and Ayala, they're two of the top playing in Spain!

Unless he does an old CM trick of selling them to Liverpool for peanuts, and then joining himself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by PiE
    After the Cisse deal, I can't see Liverpool having enough left to afford both Aimar and Ayala, they're two of the top playing in Spain!

Unless he does an old CM trick of selling them to Liverpool for peanuts, and then joining himself ;)
    Didn't the board say there will be £30mil to spend in the summer? Since this deal was done last summer I wonder will they still give the new manager £30mil to spend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If he did bring those two additions to Liverpool I would be very worried about a four horse race next year.

Lets not its not true :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by Big Ears
    One other thing to note about Cisse is a French Internationel , and is sometimes picked ahead of David Trezageut

A bit like Martin Rowlands SOMETIMES gets picked ahead of Damien Duff.

Im sceptical about Cisse. I think he could be another Houllier flop. Im shocked as well that they have brought him in after Houlier is gone, the new manager mus thave ok'd it.

i've been reading up on cisse and i'm interested in him now
    he outscored didier drogba (a player i rate) in the french league this season, has been the top scorer in the french league for at least 2 of the last 3 seasons
    hes said to be good in the air, quick, strong and a good finisher
    houlliers last signing could yet be his best

But given Houlliers track record in the transfer market, plus that Cisse is about 25/26 and still no manager has plucked him from the French League despite him scoring lots I am still sceptical. But I would love to be proved wrong.

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    But given Houlliers track record in the transfer market, plus that Cisse is about 25/26 and still no manager has plucked him from the French League despite him scoring lots I am still sceptical. But I would love to be proved wrong.

real madrid wanted him but he chose liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Real Madrid also wanted Biscan, as did Bayern and many others.

It's all down to how the manager uses players... maybe Biscan could have been a fantastic player in the right hands, who knows.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey

The reason Cisse could not be considered for the French squad was because he was sent off in an Under 21 match last season! He is now 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by PiE
    It's all down to how the manager uses players... maybe Biscan could have been a fantastic player in the right hands, who knows.
    He was one of the highest rated prospects in Europe when he was bought. I reckon he'll eventually prove himself elsewhere sort of like Savo Milosevic. He was pretty rubbish at Villa but eventually proved himself a top class striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by PiE
    Real Madrid also wanted Biscan, as did Bayern and many others.

I couldn't agree more. I havn,t seen much of cisse so I can not comment on him but IMO a lot of the problem at liverpool was down to GH,s tactics and playing people out of position and not utilising their strengths. The players purchased must have been scouted and either Liverpool have the worst scouts in the world or there is some other explaination for their poor form in the red jersey.

Litmanen is a prime example of a player that couldn't produce at anfield and yet he has played well everywhere else. Heskey is another player whose strengths were not utilised to their full potential , I can see him doing well at Birmingham next season .

I read today that the senior players at Liverpool are being included in the decision making in deciding on a new manager so hopfully they will pick a good one that will make them contenders again . It's not good for the game long term to have the same 2 or 3 teams challenging for the title every year.

litmanen was a class player, problem was he wanted the ball along the ground and wanted to play through balls and one-twos whereas everyone else just hoofed the ball
    hes exactly the sort of player i want at the club
    i remember the goal he scored against leverkusen (i think) in the champions league, quality

so i agree about the tactics

parry said they'll ask gerrard and owen who they think should be manager, but they won't have any say in the final decision

Biscan was very good in his first few months at Anfield. Thats because that was the only time he got a sustanined run in his correct position - central midfield. He's very similar type player to Patrick Viera (obviously not as good, but back then he looked to have potential). But shortly after winning the League Cup he was pushed out on to the right wing. Just as that wouldnt suit Viera, it didnt suit Biscan. Performances dipped, confidence plummeted and he was back in the reserves by the end of the season, never to get another run in the centre of the field.

The following season he was getting rave reviews for his performances for the reserves in the middle of the park. Yet still any time he'd get a run in the first team he'd be on the right wing, and (naturally) he'd disappoint.

OVer the last 12 months or so he got the odd game at right back, and a good run at centre back, where he looked ok for a while, but also always looked like he was playing out of position and that he was a mistake waiting to happen. And eventually he was rightfully dropped again.

How would Viera get on if he was played right wing, right back or centre back? Not too good, I'd say.

So I agree that GH managed to make a mess of a player who could have been a very good asset to the team.

Originally posted by The Rooster
    The reason Cisse could not be considered for the French squad was because he was sent off in an Under 21 match last season! He is now 22.

Apologies, I thought he was older.

He was sent off for kicking an opponent. He then went on to rant at the referee, insult him, refuse to leave the pitch, and then be furtherly aggressive to opposing players. Hence his 5 match ban. Apparently the ref was having a stinker, but there is still no excuse.

His scoring record, in France hasnt been that good. He did well this year, but only bagged 7 last year (might be down to injury) 19 the year before and 6 the year before. He is definately a gamble, but as I said earlier, I hope it comes off.

Advertisement