Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand Popularity confusion

Options
  • 27-05-2004 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

This is a small thread but it is something i noticed while searching around EBay and the for sale here (see i'm restraining my use of the word..poking)

OK there have been many great consoles of our time, the playstation, the snes and so on blah blah blah blah

Now i have a slight biasism towards SEGA, personnally i have it because they rarely let me down for the games i want to play (Sonic, Shenmue, Nights, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon and so on)

So of course i was a tad P*ssed each time my beloved Sega Console bombs, called second rate, piece of junk and is trashed by its competition.

So Saturn bombs PS1 big success, hops sell off all the saturn stock as quick as possible so to stock more PS1 stuff.

yet when I go to buy sega saturn goods, may it be from second hand stores or online, they are almost the most prized products there, very difficult to buy commonly quite expensive...Ok. But its not just the games its also the consoles. It always struck me as wierd that even in the hieght of PS1's glory and the Saturns defeat there were always very few (if none) 2nd hand saturn games in the trays at GAME or (the now dead) EB.

Course the offical line would be...Saturn games are expensive because they are rare. Ok, understandable if your talking about Panzer Dragoon, which will always go for 70-100 euros if not more (someone in america paid close to 200 for a copy) Simply because it is rare in Europe and America. But games like Dark Saviour which came out near the beginning of the saturns life still goes for the price of a brand new ps2 game???

I ask why? They say cause its rare...But this game was mass produced to the same scale as most ps1 games at the time, but i can get them for less then a fiver??? how can you tell me it is rare unless the owners of this game love it so much that they refuse to sell it?

Or is it that the games are priced because of how good they are...not on their quantity? (Panzer Dragoon is rumoured to be almost as good as FF7...as impossible as that sounds...) And crap games like tunnel b1 go for a tenner.

ok so despite being called the worse console ever (bar 32x and atari jaguar, which i might add you can get cheap) the saturn is quite expensive to buy???

And its not only the Saturn...The Dreamcast is having a similar run on its 2nd hand availability (PSO goes for 30 pound sterling down at the 2nd hand store) and is also difficult to get some games...(took me weeks to find Skies of Arcadia and powerstone 2)

it just boggles me that though both consoles were meant to be crap...seem to be in the long run *more cherished* then their competition, I have A PS1 as well as my beloved saturn (so no one can argue, i hav'nt experianced it) The only games i have for it...Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 8 and resident evil 2...i want FF7. Yet my Saturn enjoys a game collection peaking the 30s-40s.

So i'm asking (at last) What are the second hand dealings like for certain consoles, i know the N64 is popular to pick up 2nd hand but is still quite cheap, its stupidly cheap to get a ps1 and its games. How about older consoles like snes and mega drive? ETc

p.s I know there are alot of people who agree with me that the dreamcast was unfairly killed off. Dunno your views on Saturn?

rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Think that's bad? Go see about picking up a Neo Geo AES....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Seriously though, I'd say if the Saturn hadn't the huge catalouge of great games from the East, then it probably wouldn't be garnering much of the attention. The PAL and NTSC consoles had a fairly weak lineup of games, thus the consoles (with a good few games) can actually be bought quite cheaply, perhaps €30 to €50.

Saying that, I believe that over time, more and more people looked to Japan and realised that the Saturn actually had great, arcade-perfect games. That fact has continued to expand and now there is more demand than ever for the console. With Sega, Capcom and SNK on board it easily established itself as a haven for hardcore gamers.

It's easy to see why the Saturn was killed off so quickly, Sega made some bad decisions and people just weren't swayed by the graphical architechture. Of course your average joe is going to call it the "worst console ever", but considering all the games released in Japan, that definetly is not the case. It's a highly respected console at this stage. Rejoice in that Sega had the last laugh.

On the subject of expensive games, it really depends on the demand, the scarcity, and how good the game is. Even early mass-produced Playstation games can go for top dollar, yet I did check up Dark Saviour on eBay and it was only going for $5 - $15. But Phantasy Star Online for £30? That's crazy, considering you actually can't play the game in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

$5 for dark savoir...u lucky basterd...i cant find it for under 30 nm where i look.

on a side topic what are the rarest games to find???

I know Panzer Dragoon is one. But apart from that(not only Saturn) what are the rarest games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

As freak scenery says the PAL lineup was really very weak indeed. It's a was/is a cool system if you live in Japan but Sega shot themselves in the foot over here in the west. The system deserved to bomb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Heres a list of some of the rarest games according to an old gamesmaster and myself:

Castlevania symphony of the night (PS1 and and more so the better Saturn version)
    Kula World (PS1)
    Mischief makers (N64)
    PAL Paper Mario (N64)
    Samba de Amigo with the maracas controller (DC)
    Suikoden 1 and even more so 2 (PS1)
    Valkyrie Profile (PS1)
    Blazing Blazing Star (Neo Geo)
    Castlevania Rondo of Blood (PC Engine CD/whatever it was called in japan)
    Baku Baku Animal (Saturn)
    Clockwork Knight 2 (Saturn)
    Gunstar Heroes (MD)
    Hang on (MK1 master system card version)
    King of Fighters 95 with ram cartridge (Saturn)
    Samurai Showdown RPG (Neo Geo)
    Nights with an analogue controller (Saturn)
    Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn)
    Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)
    Snatcher (MCD version is now abandonware but the MSX versions are very rare)
    Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX)
    Yoshis Island (Snes)
    Axelay (Snes)
    UN Squadron (Snes)
    Shining Force episodes 1-3 (Saturn)

Theres a hell of a lot more but there is a good list. If you want to know how desirable these games are just search ebay for Radiant Silvergun, Suikoden 2 or Panzer Dragoon Saga/RPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

DSCF0046.JPG

Mine, all mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

God, I'm such a nerd. I have thirteen of the games you've listed there. I'd probably stick a few of them up on eBay if PayPal ever get their arse in gear and sort out Irish payouts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If only i could sell the roms and ISO's

god dam it i'll kill kevin (friend) I HAD GUNSTAR HEROS FOR AGES THEN HE LOOSES IT ON ME and then names his band after it (which is a cool band but...) I demand full reperations...basterd.

Nights with an analogue controller (Saturn)

but baby do i have that. BUT I'LL NEVER SELL I SWEAR IT NEVER!!! I LOVE IT TOO MUCH.

how many retro nuts do we have here? I love old games, esp old rpgs like shining force 1 and 2

console i have or had...

Atari 2600 (broke from overuse)
    Amstrad (god cant remember wha number, but had green beret and mummies on it, looked like a pc, was a pain for 5 year old to remember all the start up codes for getting the game to work (Broke from overuse, and coke being poured on it by accident)

Mega Drive (should still have it, must be in attic, should have original Sonic and Knuckles and all other sonic games too :D)

Saturn (still in use except the scart cable is busted so no picture)

PS1 (my least used console dunno why)

Dreamcast (ahhh my precioussss)

Gonna start now that i'm in uni picking up more old consoles and games. Normally my parents would strange me if i bought old consoles (they'd ask whats the point when you have roms? [wow parents who support illegal roms] ) So on my list are Super nes with Star Fox and Mario World and N64 with lylat wars and goldeneye (n64 is cheap but super nes might be hard) mehehehehe my accom next year is gonna be retro movies retro music and retro games HAHAHAHAAAAAA (<insane)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

I think the country we're in might be the problem for Saturn games. Playstation was an even bigger winner here than the rest of the world and Saturn seems to have died even faster. You tend to just get SEGA Rally, Manx TT and naff football games here.

You do need to import for Saturn but there is domestic stuff worth getting, even if it is overpriced. But Nights with the analog controller is dirt cheap, anywhere in the world.

SNES is alright here, but there isn't an abundance of stuff like there is for the MegaDrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by BlitzKrieg
    how many retro nuts do we have here? I love old games, esp old rpgs like shining force 1 and 2
    2 of the greatest RPG's ever made, have yet to get 3 working with a decent emulator, text in it is always buggered up, anyone have a working one? would love to play it.

just had a heart attack...someone just handed in panzer dragoon saga into local gameshop as a trade in...now the shop have it incased in a glass container and are selling it for £70 sterling...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

very tempted to invest in it...(but the price...me a studant...nooooo)

on a side note. WHAT IS THE RAREST GAME EVER?

-p.s on shining force 3...i wanna play it badly but cant find it.

That price is OK for PD Saga, I reckon, as long you're not changing from any other currency to £UK. It's come down a bit in price recently though. Check if it's complete with all 4 discs and buy it!

yeah well due to *circumstances* i am converting currencies...from euros nooooo...so damnit i am really annoyed.

Well it's still not too bad, although it's not a bargain. What's it, about €108?

yeah about that. I would get it except fro 3 little details...i need new shoes, i need to get my saturn fixed and i have a big f*cken ball sort of thing with drinks etc coming up (or else i can sell the ticket buy Panzer Dragoon saga and sit in the dark corners of my studant accomadation flying my virtual 3d dragon around a world of airships and mutant freaks...hmm hard choice. But i think the ability to do Quazar (laser gun game thingy) at a ball, done up in a cowboy outfit while very pissed with Coolio singing live on stage kind of beats it...(yes my university so very much rocks)

PDS saells for a lot more on Ebay.

uhmmm *delete if not allowed* how hard ould it to... read the charter?

It says there is a zero tolerance for asking about copying any game that is not officially abandonware. I do not think the game in question is abandonware.

However, for now, I’ll leave it at this warning to *never* post asking, or answering, questions in regards to how to copy games. (although the other mods may feel a ban is needed?)

monument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

god damn it! i knew i shouldn't have passed up that second hand saturn with panzer dragoon:(

Only Panzer Dragoon Saga goes for high prices. The other two are quite common.

Shining Force 1+2 PAL and American versions work grand on Gens emulator.

• Advertisement
Advertisement