Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom announce 33k Speed On Their Analogue Lines

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

BT launcehed a Trigger scheme in 2002 and also launched a 2 way VSAT , mainly in Scotland. This was the Gilat sat that Digiweb sells, dunno which 2 way sat you use with Mediaweb.

By 2003 BT had stopped pushing VSAT in its media and marketing but retains it in its product offering suite.

It is still available at the following URL but you have to dig through the BTOpenworld Site (their Eircom .Net Internet Access Options type Portal) to find it. Try

http://www.btopenworld.com/satellite

and

http://www.btbroadbandoffice.com/broadband/products

to see the complete BB product suite available in the UK from BT

Meanwhile BT will have well over 96% DSL (or is that 99.6%, can't remember) availibility in the UK overall by next year while Northern Ireland will have 100% DSL or Wireless availibility....obviating the need for VSAT solutions of any kind save in the odd Scottish glen .

BT also stress the suboptimal nature of VSAT on their website Here , saying in essence what Irelandoffline said in their Press Release and what Watty confirmed.

Differences with ADSL

Satellite Broadband is a high speed access product that gives you download speeds of up to 512kbps, and upload speeds of up to 128kbps. However there are some key differences with ADSL.

Satellite has higher latency than ADSL - latency is the time it takes for data to travel between connections, from sender to receiver. It is higher because of the distances involved..
    As a result Satellite is fine for web browsing, email, file transfer, secure Internet sites and certain multicast applications however it does NOT yet support Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), peer-2-peer working, online gaming or multicast voice and video streaming e.g. videoconferencing. Advances in technology mean that in time these will become possible.

Satellite is affected by severe weather conditions

Mail Web FTP and SSL are all that VSAT can do.......none of them when it is foggy :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by TCP/IP
    I agree that this is not a very good product but if I did live in the ass end of nowere and no broadband would ever be availiable it would be better than nothing and the price just like when DSL was launched will go down over time.

No before you all go mad i do agree its not great but some people will use it. Also has anybody compared Eircoms price against other 1way and 2way Sat providers

Netsystem

1-way satellite €30 a month for 300/350kbps dl with a 6gb cap. A free dvb card and you do your own setup.

There are others too, much better offers are available than eircon, surprisingly. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Watty
    Sat products are ONLY any use for file downloads. No use for browsing or form filling.

Not true. I find the one way satellite is useable for browsing (and form filling) the pings are slow but once the website is connected all the data is transferred faster, it is much better than dial-up for browsing image rich websites, you quickly get used to the short delay that occours before the websites start loading. It would probably be annoying for someone used to DSL but it is a big improvement on dial-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by John R
    Netsystem

1-way satellite €30 a month for 300/350kbps dl with a 6gb cap. A free dvb card and you do your own setup.

There are others too, much better offers are available than eircon, surprisingly. :rolleyes:

There is a €17 a month Netsystem product Here , 300k down and 1.5Gb a month . They were crap last year john R ....have they fixed their issues.

DVB card is €30 though in addition though. You will need a second LNB on your Sky dish or else plug the cable outta the Sky Receiver and into your PC....and thereby risk Domestic Disharmony :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

http://www.cpsat.co.uk are taking orders again.
    It's also on the Astra satellite (They use AVC).

NiallB

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Originally posted by Scruff

actually on 2nd thoughts i wont cause i can only connect over PSTN at 28.8k....
    €ircon bastards!

thats a crap dial up connection is your modem port speed at 115200? you should get a good few more kb out of it. i live in Kilcoole co.wicklow(glenroe) i can get BB and have dial up speeds of 45.2k +

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    thats a crap dial up connection is your modem port speed at 115200? you should get a good few more kb out of it. i live in Kilcoole co.wicklow(glenroe) i can get BB and have dial up speeds of 45.2k +

hes line may be pair gained ;/

Originally posted by Muck
    There is a €17 a month Netsystem product Here , 300k down and 1.5Gb a month . They were crap last year john R ....have they fixed their issues.

It has been very reliable for most of the last year. I have had it for almost two years now, I will be cancelling in July as I can now get DSL. You are right it was very bad last year; during the day and especially at weekends speeds woud drop to below dial-up speeds, although I had the 1Mbps overnight service which was much better. They added a second transponder this year and it has been completely reliable for many months now. TBH the most use I get from it is for downloads which I get overnight as I still have the higher speed at night but this is not available to new subscribers anymore.

I wouldn't go so far as to reccomend it to anyone, but if nothing else is available and you have access to a satellite dish it is a useful option to consider and they do seem to have gotten over most of the problems that they used to have.
    DVB card is €30 though in addition though. You will need a second LNB on your Sky dish or else plug the cable outta the Sky Receiver and into your PC....and thereby risk Domestic Disharmony :D

M

That wouldn't work anyway as it is from Astra at 19E not 28E where SKY digital is, a second LNB would be necessary.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    I remember reading this on a satellite forum I use. Some pimp from mediasat was telling everyone how great it is. He even went as far as to say eircom wont upgrade any more exchanges as this is where its at! I did chuckle. Also the sheer price to install sat solutions is a complete rip off imho.

Was it on satdudez that you read about it? I will post a link to the site but I think you have to be registered with them before they will allow you to read.

http://www.satdudez-forumz.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52550&highlight=broadband+in+ireland

I also thought the same after reading through it.

Has anyone tried out www.netbooster.ie. This site got a write up in our local paper last week. Atleast they will allow you to do a self install.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by John R
    Netsystem

Not true. I find the one way satellite is useable for browsing (and form filling) the pings are slow but once the website is connected all the data is transferred faster, it is much better than dial-up for browsing image rich websites, you quickly get used to the short delay that occours before the websites start loading. It would probably be annoying for someone used to DSL but it is a big improvement on dial-up.

The dial up circuit still needs to work. Mine mostly doesn't. If mine did work I wouln't need satellite.

I stand corrected on browsing.

Friday I connected a Web server one end of a 1.2K (yes ONLY 1200 baud!!!) packet radio link and browsed at other end . Ping time was 1900ms to 2400ms on a 25m distance.. About as much latency as sateliite. But 200 times to 500 times slower data through put.

Text only pages about as fast as faxes. Colour photo pages up to 45 minutes!

Unlike my eircom dialup, or satellite with eircom dialup uplink/upstream, it will run all day without breaking and at zero cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mickcomer

i have a friend that moved to wexford planning to work from home but with dial-up speed of 8 kbps(the small ones) his internet was unusable. my knowledge on all this is not very good but i have been using satdrive one-way service for a while (good for downloading especially at night) and i wonder if this would work for him or is his connection too slow to provide a decent up-link.

also whats the feedback like on the digiweb two-way satellite system because, even though it's pretty expensive he would save because at the moment he has to rent an office in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It would get him sorted in terms of downloading. The internet is really about interactive applications though, like sending and receiving email attachments, VPN's, video and voice conferencing, gaming, etc..

It won't help with those.

If he just wants to download large files though, satellite internet is perfect.

One way sat would improve things somewhat but it would still be badly compromised by having 8kbps upstream, even browsing and downloading would be slowed by the lack of a reasonable return rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mickcomer

thanks for the replies, iwas thinking the same myself, i supose his best bet would be to try to hook up with a wireless network or two-way sat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Satellite = Universal ?

Only if you can see the bloody thing, admittedly a lot of people in the sticks yould have some leeway in the site for thier dish BUT..
    many people in the centre of small towns and villages, most of those in apartment complexes, in the shadow of mountains etc will not be able to connect. (kinda important since a lot of exchanges ain't upgraded yet)

anyone know what % of people can't get SKY ?

Advertisement