Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amtrak Trains USA - NY - San Fran, Dissuade me / Advice?

• 27-05-2004 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm gonna be in the states for 3 weeks in the summer, just as a lowly tourist, nothing grand planned yet really...

I'm thinking of taking the train from NY (where i'm flying into/out of) and going to San Francisco, comes to about $250 return which isnt too steep.

Anyways, i'm fully aware i'll be spending about 3 days each way wandering around a train, and sleeping in whats basically an airline seat (bedrooms are paid for per room so for just me i'd be talking an extra $1400 :P), but OTHER than that, has anyone any reasons why this is bad idea on my part?

I'm thinking it could be a lot better than flying, i'd get to see more of the country (albeit from a train window), it'd certainly make a more interesting story, and i'd get some great pictures going through the rockies, etc.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice about this "plan"? has anyone done this before, etc?

Thanks,
    -Ig

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I Amtracked from Boston to San francisco and back again via Seattle and Minneopolis.

I would reccomend it as it is without a doubt the best way to see some of the more remote parts of the country....just outside Denver the train rises into the front range of the rockies and another highlight would be going by lake tahoe or stopping in Reno, Nevada.

On the other hand there are disadvantages:in no particular order...

1) food on board is horrifically expensive. I had a kindly christian gentlemen insist on buyng me (an Irishman!!) a steak as he had fond memories of his irish jesuit education.

2) there is no access to showers. there are good big toilets but i wasn't able to blag my way into a sleeper where the showers are. On my two week sojourn, i only spent two nights off the train (SF and Seattle)...the ultimate 5000mile whistle stop tour! This meant only two proper showers....by the time i returned to Boston, i was STINKIE!!!!

3) You could end up sitting beside the same people for days...and there little habits begin to irritate unintentionally. Although having said that i managed to have an incredably fit overly friendly dutch bird sitting beside me from Denver to SF. Woo hoo!!!

4) the trains are not perfectly reliable. It's hard to predict when the train having travelled 3000miles will actually arrive on time. I arrived into Oakland/SF 3 hours late and was very lucky to find a hostel with a bed still open at 11.00pm.

5) Not all the countryside is interesting. The central states are tedious....flat and fields and fields of maize and other equally unexciting crops!! Then there is Utah....a bloody desert with the odd cactus.

6) The fm radio often doesn't work out in the wilderness which leaves you at the mercy of the right wing christian lunatics on MW talk radio....I was so bored looking at Utah i listened to some idiot explain how the Bible proved that Bill Clinton was the spawn of Satan to Rush Limbaugh.

Anyway, don't let me put you off....i have so many highlights that i wouldn't hesitate to do it again!!!

P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

To be honest, if you're only going for 3 weeks, why waste a week on a train..

Ive found flight from NY to SF return for under €250 in July..

If there was somewhere along the way you really wanted to see, try and get a
    multiple stop ticket and maybe fly from one place to the other..

Here are some site to check:

CheapFlights.com
    Expedia.com

These guys seem to have a set price of $264 for New York to San Francisco any day
    of the week..

AmericaWest

Look around, there are so many to choose from..

Tox

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

rent a car and drive drive drive drive!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

jank - i dont drive, so thats a no-no

Toxic Paddy, thats the only reason i'm thinking of not going ahead with this, NY - SF flights cost about the same as the train, but save a few days, i might look into flying out and returning by train or vice versa, but i do like the train idea.
    AFAIK, most flights i priced were about 250 return, with the rain costing 280, not much of a difference.

Right, i gotta work, i'll get back to this thread later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Originally posted by pekelly
    1) food on board is horrifically expensive.
    I'm sure i'll manage, shoes are edible, right? :P
    2) there is no access to showers. there are good big toilets but i wasn't able to blag my way into a sleeper where the showers are.
    This wouldnt be as much of a problem as i'm planning to spend a few nights in SF, and (well, you jsut mentioned it), Reno? Whats so great about REno if you dont mind me asking?

The trains are so damn cheap i'm thinking of visiting a few places on teh west coast while i'm there.
    (probably gonna fly back to NY though, dont fancy LIVING on a damn train :P)

3) You could end up sitting beside the same people for days...and there little habits begin to irritate unintentionally.
    I can be just as annoying i'm sure!
    4) the trains are not perfectly reliable. It's hard to predict when the train having travelled 3000miles will actually arrive on time. I arrived into Oakland/SF 3 hours late and was very lucky to find a hostel with a bed still open at 11.00pm.
    Good point, i'll probably be booking everything in advance and leaving myself nice big windows to allow for delays (i';ll be on my own after all and would start to panic if i thought i was stranded)

5) Not all the countryside is interesting. The central states are tedious....flat and fields and fields of maize and other equally unexciting crops!! Then there is Utah....a bloody desert with the odd cactus.
    The flip side being, of course, i've never seen a desert before :)
    6) The fm radio often doesn't work out in the wilderness
    Hmm, that could be a problem, guess i'll bring my MP3 player afterall :)
    Anyway, don't let me put you off....i have so many highlights that i wouldn't hesitate to do it again!!!
    This is the part i'm taking most on board ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement