Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a shop refuse to take large notes?

• 27-05-2004 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Went to buy some stuff (€2 or so) and handed in a €50 note. The guy behind the counter refused it saying they didn't thake anything more than €20 notes. Can they do that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

Yes they can, its up to the consumer to have the appropriate change to buy the item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No they can't. They're refusing to accept legal tender for a legal transaction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Yes they can
    No they can't
    I would have to agree with the opinion stated above. :)
    As far as I can remember, legal tender must be accepted in payment of a debt. However, a shopkeeper is not obliged to accept payment from an individual. When you bring items to the checkout, a contract is initiated, and it is not beholden on the shopkeeper to agree to that contract. But what do I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep. The retailer is not obliged to provide change in a transaction. The onus is on the buyer to have the correct change.

Essentially, the retailer is refusing to sell the goods. Which they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Any retailer can refuse to sell anything to anyone, without explanation. It is their 'Business' after all :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

All he has to do is say "Sorry i dont have change for that"

On yer bike.

Whos gonna argue ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Originally posted by Chief---
    All he has to do is say "Sorry i dont have change for that"

On yer bike.

Whos gonna argue ?

Every cunt of a farmer with there €100 note on a saturday morning at 7am to buy an independent. I used work in a shop.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

You are simply putting forward an offer to buy a product. The shopkeeper can either accept that offer or reject it, for whatever reason he/she sees fit - EVEN IF you have the correct change.

[edit]Having said that, the canteen NEVER has change. Thankfully they're nice enough to let you pay later. Often by the next visit to the canteen there's a diff person there so one can see if they have change then or, *COUGH* forget.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Loads of shops won't take 50's or bigger because there's so much counterfeit currency about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Originally posted by swiss
    When you bring items to the checkout, a contract is initiated, and it is not beholden on the shopkeeper to agree to that contract. But what do I know.
    [/B]

Good point. I vaguely remember covering that in contract law for beginners many moons ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Of course they don't HAVE to but only a real annoy-hole would make them in the first place.

Would you similarily buy a new car completely out of 1c pieces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

All this makes me wonder:

Consider the case were a product is marked on the shelf at 10 euro, but when you get to the checkout you are charged 15 euro. If you:

1. Point this out to the shopkeeper, is it correct that they are not required to sell you the item at the lower price, because not contract has been entered into?

2. Don't point it out to them, get charged the higher price and pay for the item at the higher price, is the correct that the shopkeeper, from a legal point of view, overcharged you (therefore breaking some law) as a contract between you and the shopkeeper has been entered into.

I'm more interested in point 2, what come-back do you have in that case, if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Would "buyer beware" not come into point 2? i.e. its up to the concumer to notice?

Can't remember the latin for it but did it school years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by dwayneburke
    Would "buyer beware" not come into point 2? i.e. its up to the concumer to notice?

Can't remember the latin for it but did it school years ago?

Caveat Emptor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's all up to the shopkeeper, they can choose whether or not to sell you the goods. There eyes always light up when I give them sterling though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DMT
    2. Don't point it out to them, get charged the higher price and pay for the item at the higher price, is the correct that the shopkeeper, from a legal point of view, overcharged you (therefore breaking some law) as a contract between you and the shopkeeper has been entered into.
    They would be breaking the "European Communities (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002 (S.I 639 of 2002)" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79725 and if using scanning equipment they would likely be breaking the EAN code of practice. http://www.ean.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Victor
    They would be breaking the "European Communities (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002 (S.I 639 of 2002)" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79725 and if using scanning equipment they would likely be breaking the EAN code of practice. http://www.ean.ie/
    Good old EU to the rescue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

In answer to the second question a price on a shelf or good in a shop is only an 'invitation to buy the product', but if 3 or more products are over price only then can action be taken!!

Originally posted by Take it
    In answer to the second question a price on a shelf or good in a shop is only an 'invitation to buy the product', but if 3 or more products are over price only then can action be taken!!
    They're not required to sell the product if it's mistakenly priced, however they are required to rectify the error immediately.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Take it
    but if 3 or more products are over price only then can action be taken!!
    Where are you getting that from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Originally posted by Lump
    Every cunt of a farmer with there €100 note on a saturday morning at 7am to buy an independent. I used work in a shop.

John

We can say **** now? **** **** **** ****

I work in a shop, am I allowed to refuse to take handfuls of pennys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Kold
    We can say **** now? **** **** **** ****

Not really. The shop owner can refuse it, but unless he has specifically told you either to not sell certain items, or not accept certain denominations, then you, as a representative of the owner, will do his wishes, which is assumed that he wants to sell every item in the shop (hence why they're on the shelves) and that you must accept all denominations, hence why you have a drawer full of change.

Originally posted by Kold
    I looked this up after I took a sale where the woman paid in 5p's bagged. Being me, I counted every, last, one :)(after all, she was chancing her arm and this was my way of getting her back :p Turns out I didn't legally have to take that payment.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Isnt the max amount of err legal tender suposed to br 56 pieces (wether notes or coins) per transaction. Or something? (i think i read it on here somewhere :p )

Advertisement