Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Vs. Romania

• 27-05-2004 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Big news is Keane Starts

the team is:
    Shay Given, Steve Finnan, Andy O'Brien, Kenny Cunningham (Capt), Alan Maybury, Liam Miller, Roy Keane, Matt Holland, Andy Reid, Clinton Morrison, Robbie Keane.

Was a pretty predictable team given O'Shea's injury. Must be very close to our first team with only Duff and Carr significant players absent.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'll be there with my Keano/Ireland flag!! Can't wait!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by syke
    Big news is Keane Starts

the team is:
    Shay Given, Steve Finnan, Andy O'Brien, Kenny Cunningham (Capt), Alan Maybury, Liam Miller, Roy Keane, Matt Holland, Andy Reid, Clinton Morrison, Robbie Keane.

Was a pretty predictable team given O'Shea's injury. Must be very close to our first team with only Duff and Carr significant players absent.

No width, Miller will get drawn inside and Andy Reid will need to raise him game a lot compared to his last Irish game.

Missing Duffer badly and even Kilbane.

Solid Defence and Center of Midfield obviously looks stronger with Keane back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I just opened a thread on this so I'll cut my post in half and post it here:

It will be Robbie Keane's 50th cap, he only needs 2 goals to equal Quinn's goalscoring record of 21. If we keep a clean sheet it will be the 4th in 5 matches. Romania beat Germany 5-1 last month without a few of their best players.

The odd's are: Ireland - evens; Romania 9/4; Draw 9/4. Robbie Keane to score first and Ireland to win: 9/1. Andy Reid to score first and Ireland to win 22/1.

I'll go with a 2-0 win to the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'll be there meself tonight! Really looking forward to it, nice weather for it!

It'll be interesting to see what type of reception Keane gets.

Anybody know the Romanian team? Heard Mutu won't be playing. Are they playing a weakened side? If so, the first goal / Irish win looks good!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I say ireland will draw 1-1 or win 1-0 i dont see Romania winning lets be honest beating germany 5-1 isnt the big deal it used tobe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

interesting that keane isn't captain, probably a good thing
    i wonder how hes settled in with the squad and if they'll be happy with him shouting orders in midfield

Originally posted by bizmark
    I say ireland will draw 1-1 or win 1-0 i dont see Romania winning lets be honest beating germany 5-1 isnt the big deal it used tobe
    Germany hadn't the best of teams but it wasn't bad, Kahn, Ramelow, Jeremies, Schneider, Hamann and Lahm all started with Baumann, Neuville and Nowotny on the bench. Romania were without Mutu and Pancu, Chivu got taken off after 33mins.

Kerr said he won't be given any debuts today so I don't think he'll actually be making much changes looking at our subs:

Colgan, Kenny, Doherty, Thompson, Clarke, Douglas, Rowlands, Doyle, Quinn, McPhail, Kinsella, Barrett, McGeady, Lee, Connolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by eyerer
    interesting that keane isn't captain

Kerr already said for Czech match that Keane wouldn't be captain. Not really a big issue, at the end of the day (to use a Keanism) the captain in this case is only the guy that shakes the other captain's hand and swaps flags.
    i wonder how hes settled in with the squad and if they'll be happy with him shouting orders in midfield

In all fairness, while Cunningham has been organising the defence quite well, it's the organisation of the midfield and a quality midfielder that's missing in the Irish setup.

B.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Kerr said he won't be given any debuts today

Did he???

Are you sure that he didn't mean full debut??

I'd reckon Keane will go til half time with Kinsella or Douglas comming on.

Originally posted by irish1
    Did he???

Are you sure that he didn't mean full debut??
    I'm not sure but the only players that haven't made their debut for Ireland yet are Rowlands, Clarke, McGeady and Doyle. I doubt he'll play any of them today, they would have been called up for the matches against Nigeria and Jamaica.

BTW - Roy Keane will play no part in the Unity cup matches, I'm not sure if he'll play against Holland.

• Advertisement

BTW - Roy Keane will play no part in the Unity cup matches, I'm not sure if he'll play against Holland.
    Any reason given??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Any reason given??

Personal commitments made before he announced his return

Originally posted by syke
    Personal commitments made before he announced his return

You serious??

Have you got a link to that by any chance??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Havent checked the above link but Kerr said Keane was excused from all away friendly fixtures. He did wanty Keane to play one friendly tho and that leaves this one or the one in August and the one in August is sandiwtched between 2 champ league qualifyers.

second paragraph

It doesn't say why.

Syke you got a link stating why.

Personal reasons doesn't sound like a good excuse.

http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/week_in_news/Full_Story/did-sgnsmRd-9LBfEsgTbBP-2fa91M.asp
    However, even if he regains fitness before the end of the month, the Man Utd captain will only play against Romania, as prior commitments will rule out his involvement in the Unity Cup and the trip to Holland next month.

Feck that, what commitments could these possibly be, I knew this sh*t would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Feck that, what commitments could these possibly be, I knew this sh*t would happen.

He probably has a commitment to be laying on a beach somewhere hot and sunny and not playing in a bunch of meaningless end of season friendlies

Originally posted by Harry2001
    He probably has a commitment to be laying on a beach somewhere hot and sunny and not playing in a bunch of meaningless end of season friendlies
    We need to find the right partner for Cunningham, we need to find the right partner for Robbie and more importantly we need to find the most suitable partner for Roy. We also have to get the players used to playing with Keane, we have to find the ideal player to play in both fullback positions, we need to get Reid or Miller used to playing on the right of midfield. We have to give the younger players more experience playing for Ireland and playing with Roy. All this before we play Cyprus in September. It sounds far from meaningless to me...

• Advertisement

We need to find the right partner for Cunningham, we need to find the right partner for Robbie and more importantly we need to find the most suitable partner for Roy. We also have to get the players used to playing with Keane, we have to find the ideal player to play in both fullback positions, we need to get Reid or Miller used to playing on the right of midfield. We have to give the younger players more experience playing for Ireland and playing with Roy. All this before we play Cyprus in September. It sounds far from meaningless to me...

Well said eirebhoy, I have said it before that Keane has to play these friendlies to get used to playing with the new team now.

I knew he would get special treatment, and I dont think it does anyone any good, as i have said if he can't pertake in friendlies he shouldn't have returned.

Kerr is a weeak fool if he has agreed to Keane missing the Unity Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Well said eirebhoy, I have said it before that Keane has to play these friendlies to get used to playing with the new team now
    Im sure he'll manage!!
    I knew he would get special treatment, and I dont think it does anyone any good, as i have said if he can't pertake in friendlies he shouldn't have returned.
    But he IS special!! He's KEANO!!
    Kerr is a weeak fool if he has agreed to Keane missing the Unity Cup.
    The WHAT cup?!! Who gives a toss. The man is 32 years old saving himself for the end of his career. Who really cares about this cup!!Personally I'd prefer to have him at the next world cup!

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    But he IS special!! He's KEANO!! The WHAT cup?!! Who gives a toss. The man is 32 years old saving himself for the end of his career. Who really cares about this cup!!Personally I'd prefer to have him at the next world cup!

Do you understand the concept that Soccer is a team game???

He might think the games are pointless but to the other members of the Squad his involvement is important if they are to play as a team in teh future.

I think the reason we have had such good results lately is beacuse the team has been playing great as a unit and have developed an understanding, putting Keane and then taking him out again will not do the team anygood.

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    The WHAT cup?!! Who gives a toss.
    Did irish1 say it was an important cup? No, but they are important matches, not for the result but experience.

People who say friendlies are meaningless must have never played football. If I was a member of the Ireland squad when Keane came back I would be making sure I impressed him. Keane is the type of player that if you make a mistake with him in the team your confidence could be severly damaged, just like it would be if a new manager came in. Players like Robbie Keane or Duffer couldn't give a crap if they impressed Keane but others like O'Brien and Morrison need to play with him to get used to getting shouted at, etc.

I saw a little bit of yesterday's training session on TV and players like Doc just pass the ball to Keane whenever he asks, only playing with him a few times they'll learn that its OK to pass to someone else. I don't know, its hard to explain unless you actually play/ed for a team yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think we should give the other members of the team a bit more credit. I dont think we'll have the problem of lads being afraid on the pitch just because Keano is playing. In any event most will have played with him before.

Okay, it would be nice for Keane play a couple of friendlies before the Cyprus game, but its not critical. One is good, another would be better, but no big deal. There's no doubt in my mind though that he'll never play another friendly after the WC qualifying starts. And thats fine by me. The man is a special case. A special player, but who has been injury prone. No need to take unneccesary risks, and far better for him and for Ireland that he plays one game and has a good long rest, than playing 4 games in a short space and a far shorter summer break.

Originally posted by The Rooster
    I think we should give the other members of the team a bit more credit. I dont think we'll have the problem of lads being afraid on the pitch just because Keano is playing. In any event most will have played with him before.
    Believe me, the likes of Doc, Harte, Dunne and Kilbane really do feel that little bit more nervous playing with Keane. Its only certain players, I doubt Andy Reid would be affected. The more they play with him that will wear off.
    Originally posted by The Rooster
    Okay, it would be nice for Keane play a couple of friendlies before the Cyprus game, but its not critical. One is good, another would be better, but no big deal. There's no doubt in my mind though that he'll never play another friendly after the WC qualifying starts. And thats fine by me. The man is a special case. A special player, but who has been injury prone. No need to take unneccesary risks, and far better for him and for Ireland that he plays one game and has a good long rest, than playing 4 games in a short space and a far shorter summer break.
    I'd say he will play in the August friendly which now looks likely to be against Bulgaria but if, as B-K-DzR says, its sandwiched between the cl qualifiers I don't think Kerr would call him up.

Just as a question

shall we post match commentry here or start a new thread ?

We might aswell keep it in here. There won't actually be many people commenting on the game as you'll see if you look back at the Poland thread. Its a different story when we play Brazil though.;)

I think it will be a good match tbh im looking forward to it

always watch ireland when i can :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Here's hoping Roy gets a nice big boo to 'greet' his return to the pitch, that he gets the message he's not wanted and f's off back to manchester for good (not just the summer).

Don't see it happening tho and I can confidently predict that our herdlike fanbase will be wetting themselves over the return our al-a-carte 'hero' just as though nothing ever happened.

I guess someone could start a rumour amongst the fools at Lansdowne that Keane has just agreed terms with Rangers :rolleyes:

crowd still loves him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Ireland to win 3-1

crowd still loves him

Yea I'm sure the majority of them will, but there will also be a lot of football people who won't have forgiven him, anyway no point opening that can or worms.

Rooster would you not agree that the younger players would gain more by having Keane present and taking some part in all the Freindlies than him not being at the majority of them at all??

I don't expect him to play 90 minutes but surely to god he should play 45 minutes in each game.:confused:

jesus should of been 1 down there

must of been the 4th time the defence has been cauth out already

Jesus should of been 1 up there :D

GO ON ROY what a run!!! clinton your crap tbh

• Advertisement

anyone got any web links for a commentary???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Buy Sky! haha! Kevin Moran!! haha!! he is class!! NOT

O'Brien is havin one of his dodgy games so far! and wat is Cunningham at? pacey strikers are takin his to pieces

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Buy Sky! haha! Kevin Moran!! haha!! he is class!! NOT

Well it would be hard to get it installed in work but might see if the manager will go halves:D

Anyone got any station providing commentary???

sorry bud dont have a clue

Sometimes i wonder does robbie keane know the meaning of teamwork :dunno: miller could of scored there IF robbie had passed it instead of takeing the shot himself

Sportinglife text commentary says:

18 mins: Roy Keane is booed as he picks up the ball in midfield - some are clearly unhappy at his return.

Is that true:D

• Advertisement

Sportinglife text commentary says:

18 mins: Roy Keane is booed as he picks up the ball in midfield - some are clearly unhappy at his return.

Is that true:D

No i dont hear much if any booing mostly its cheering when he gets on the ball tbh

No i dont hear much if any booing mostly its cheering when he gets on the ball tbh

Fair enough, god I hate working when matches are on.

Sounds like we should have scored a few.

Come on Ireland

Can you answer me wtf do we play clinton ? to me hes like irelands version of heskey tbh

and yes we should of scored but clinton ****ed up one chance and robbie couldnt be arsed passing therefore wasting one good chance

and yet one more good chance no one to stick in robbies cross goal mouth pass though.

Maybe one of
    McGeady, Lee, Connolly
    will get a chance in the second half.:D

love to get a look at mcgready tbh he couldnt be worse than clinton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

If manager is Irish ask him?? haha! well Ireland have played well! Miller is playing great and Reid/Robbie are also playin good! Roy is stayin quiet so far! not roarin the head off anyone yet!! good display so far from my opinion for what thats worth

We should win this if our game keeps up and we sub clinton

Millier reid robbie are playing together very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

2041: Robbie Keane and Roy Keane are both thwarted by Romania goalkeeper Bogdan Stelea, who makes a brilliant double save.

from

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/3754629.stm

looks like we might get a goal, but that keeper is rated pretty good

Ya that was unlucky

we should win we really should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

we should score at least 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!

send on McGeady and put that one to rest ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement