Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you taught in China before?

• 27-05-2004 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Apologies first - I'm not sure where to post this.

I've pretty much been offered a job as an English teacher in China starting in September.

I'm very seriously considering this.

Have any of you guys done this before, or do you know anyone doing it???

Thanks in advance!

JV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Do you have Chinese, or is it going to be an "I'm not going to listen to you until you speak my language" type class?

Reminds me of my Irish teacher: "Níl aon Berla agam!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

I've been trying to learn Mandarin, but I'm a mongo at languages.

So I guess it'll be a "I'm not going to listen to you until you speak my language" type class...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You don't need Chinese, but it is good to learn the native language of any country you go to.

Whoever offered you the job should be able to explain it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Divine

I know someone who did it in South Korea and he had a fine time out there. he couldnt speak the native language and he still cant now that he is back but your not expected to in the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I hope to teach in a far east country in a few years time (after my degree), what other qualifications do you need other than TEFL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    Do you have Chinese, or is it going to be an "I'm not going to listen to you until you speak my language" type class?

Reminds me of my Irish teacher: "Níl aon Berla agam!"
    That is how languages are taught in most places. Here in Austria once you get past the very basics English is taught completely through English. As a result the standard of english spoken puts our efforts at speaking languages to shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

There's a few opinions here.

Spent half my last job reading this site - I was very tempted (still may do something similar in the future).

Bear in mind that a lot of the articles in there are written by muppets but hopefully you can get a good overview from it...

Good luck:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Well a good friend of mine is out there for the past 2 years
    Seems to be liking it alot!
    Cheap cost of living and the students are eager to learn(not like us fukin wasters who like nothing better than to make the teachers life a misery)
    Go for it! You can save a rake a cash to do with what you will and experince a completely different culture,language and of course dee wimin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

and don't forget the food, Dimsum is lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by Demeant0r
    what other qualifications do you need other than TEFL?
    Different places will have different criteria. Appart from the 2 week tefl courses you can do tefl up as far as a masters level.

I know Nova in Japan will accept people with degrees in any discipline as long as you are educated in an english speaking system (you still have to interview though;) )

• Advertisement
Advertisement