Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chapelizod, Dublin 20

• 27-05-2004 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Really appreciate it, if anyone knows if BB is available in Chapelizod, Dublin 20. I'm hopefully buying an apartment there shortly, but the phoneline was disconnected some years back, so I have nothing to test on the BB sites.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

You should be on the Palmerstown exchange which is enabled. I'm in Chapelizod, on St Laurence Road and have BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

See if you can find out the phone numbers of any neighbours/nearby businesses and plug those into the test databases that a few of the ISPs have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you are on the Palmerstown exchange which i assume you would be then yes it should be fine. Im palmerstown and have it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

cheeers Folks - fingers crossed I get the apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Yep BB service is pretty good here in Palmerstown...btw lived in Chapo for years and its a boring kip bar the villager pub tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Lenny you palmerstown too? You with IOL? I have BB+ from them and it seems to be faster and better pings than lots of people.. we have a good exchange here it seems :D

Sorry to troll my own thread back up - naw I'm not :)

We're living in the apartment now just over 1 month. Gave Eircom a call about 3 weeks ago to get the phone reconnected. I was told a phone never existed and that I'd have to pay the full install fee. I explained I only wanted the phone line to get DSL for work and that could they check if others in my apartment complex have Broadband - the eircom lady, said she shouldn't but checked a phone number that was addressed to an apartment beside me - and told me it failed. I gave her 3 numbers for "Mangans" tools, who are literally across the road from me, all 3 numbers passed. So I ordered the new phone line, and after a couple of appointments with an Eircom Enginneer , who kept failing to show up - eventually "Rory" from eircom appeared. Really helpful guy who I only got to speak to over the phone (a family member had to let him into the apartment).

I explained the situation to "Rory" and what odds did he feel I had to getting Broadband installed. He went on about my area being very very old and that chances are I won't be able to get it, altough i might be lucky. He did some magic in some exchange, and we now have a land line - I'm getting an amazing 45.2kbs here on slowband and still ringing/emailing/waiting on my line to pass for DSL.

its times like these, I miss living at home with the parents and IOL plus ;)

PS I love Chapelizod (still not sure If im spelling it right !)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

Hi guys,

sorry for reviving this old thread.

But I just moved to Chapelizod too and was wondering with which providers ye are for BB. I called Eircom today, talked to some sales guy - Indian, nice but I understood only half of what he said despite asking him twice to talk slower. So basically, I have no idea if Eircom works there. Live just off St Laurence rd.

Are there any other options? NTL crushed my hopes of BB with them today.

Thanks for any responses,
    mC.

Hi Meowcat,

I eventually got broadband from BT. Some neighbours have Eircom BB, and some even have that horrible ripwave service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

meowCat wrote: »
    Live just off St Laurence rd.

Are there any other options? NTL crushed my hopes of BB with them today.

That's interesting. I'm at the top of St Laurence Road and have NTL broadband. I thought it was all over the area. Did they actually check against your account number or just say it's not available in the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

Thanks for your answers guys! Really appreciate the help. :)

@BendiBus: They asked for my address and said that they don't offer broadband in that area. I live in Knockmaree which is just off St Laurence Rd. Pity cos was thinking about opting for a whole package with NTL (bb,phone and dital tv), now it's just normal tv and now I have Eircom bb. Just arrived today actually.
    I'm surprised though that you have it. Am disappointed now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dutchgoldtony

Has anyone tried the Digiweb Metro in Chapelizod?

Would be keen on avoiding the line rental just for BB...

I'm in Kings Hall by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

I was in one of the old terraced houses across the road from Knockmaree on Liffey Road for a year last year and had UTVClicksilver, no problems with a connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Sorry for bumping folks.
    I'm moving into the Weir apartments and was wondering what the BB is like.
    I spoke to NTL who have said they can give me BB down there even though their website and numerous sources say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

[DF]Lenny wrote: »
    Yep BB service is pretty good here in Palmerstown...btw lived in Chapo for years and its a boring kip bar the villager pub tbh.

It's only 5 mins walk from the delights of Ballyer...

the return journey by ambulance is even quicker :D

rebump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

NTL offer television but not broadband services to The Island in Chapelizod by all accounts, so have been forced down the Eircom route myself. With line-rental the 3mb package is ok for Irish prices, but I'm worried about the real-world performance this '3mb' line is going to achieve.

Anyone living on The Island who can attest to Eircom.net's performance?

I've ordered the 3mb package from eircom as no other ISP would touch my line.
    I'll know soon enough (soon being realitive with Eircom)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I know someone that has Vodafone mobile broadband in Kingshall in Chapelizod and can't recommend it highly enough.

my own old thread getting bumped :)

NTL BB ain't available in Chapelizod/Strawberry beds area. You only choice is DSL. I have BT DSL 3MB (they don't offer any higher), I find it grand for all things web related. I also have a vodafone 3G modem and its dire, so perhaps I'm not living close enough to a mast or something, as the mobiles in the house also get very poor coverage.

• Advertisement

Yeah mobile strength in my apartment is dire. (at the weir apts)
    3mb is gonna break my heart (when I'm eventually connected)
    I'm used to 20mb from UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Kaz88

Hey guys
    Moving into the main street in chapelizod. Rang UPC and they can only offer me tv as BB isnt available there yet :(
    Eircom is a bit of a rip off as id have to pay nearly double the BB fee due to line rental....Im looking into the Vodafone WiFi device they are offereing at the moment that allows 5 devices to run from it at once but if vodafone coverage isnt great that could also be a problem...HELP please :(

Advertisement